Discussion Soccer/Association Football New Kits

Status
Not open for further replies.
Western United logo: https://www.a-league.com.au/news/western-united-FC-unveil-logo
wuwhite.png

The graphic designer has done a decent job considering what they've had handed to them. I assume this is the brainchild of the club's board and marketing department.

It just lacks though, like, there's no character at all in this franchise. Western what? West of where? At least when the Bulldogs did it, it was to expand beyond Footscray and represent the entirety of the Western Melbourne suburbs but this could honestly be a second WA team. Also, black and green - eh.

Silent Alarm

sack Lyon
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
The press release is a read.

'Inspired by the houses in the biggest growth corridor.'

Ugly, cheaply built Metricons with yellow bricks on tiny lots in developments that have roads literally going to nowhere... that's not really inspiring. Also the fact this thing was just built and green-lit to increase some house prices near a theoretical stadium adds insult to that.

The 'W' is okay but the logo should have been flat. I like the idea of an Australian club going for a simple, easily readable logo that's bold and accessible on a strip or strong looking on a cap. I think Melbourne City should have used the Melbourne whale or ram as one like this. So hopefully they just have the 'W' and don't add the wording on top.

Ultimately it's just a huge jip when there are so many more deserving clubs and names out there... Wollongong Wolves, Shire & Saints, AFC ACT, Dandenong Rangers, Brisbane Strikers...

Silent Alarm

sack Lyon
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Anyway, word is the new Sydney team'll be 'Dharawal FC.' The Indigenous name for the region. Very unique, cool idea, it'll stand out. But the thing I like is how they're using the nickname convention. Apparently they'll be the 'Bulls' but not officially – a bit like Arsenal being the Gunners, Derby County being the Rams, Southampton being the Saints... so the logo will be a bull and that'll be the encouraged nickname.

Comes from the etymology of the region. Initially it included 'cows' and then 'bull' references popped up. There you go. I pay it.

Aug 8, 2008
Campbelltown
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Arsenal, Macarthur FC
Anyway, word is the new Sydney team'll be 'Dharawal FC.' The Indigenous name for the region. Very unique, cool idea, it'll stand out. But the thing I like is how they're using the nickname convention. Apparently they'll be the 'Bulls' but not officially – a bit like Arsenal being the Gunners, Derby County being the Rams, Southampton being the Saints... so the logo will be a bull and that'll be the encouraged nickname.

Comes from the etymology of the region. Initially it included 'cows' and then 'bull' references popped up. There you go. I pay it.

I have heard that it will more likely be Macarthur FC with the nickname and logo featuring a bull. Dharawal FC was certainly considered but apparently would have been too decisive to the region as a whole and Macarthur was believed to be more inclusive.

But it could still go the other way.

May 9, 2011
VIC
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
San Francisco Giants
I think he's referring to the Bolte. Took me a while to see it too..

View attachment 670631
In that case I don’t think they intended for the logo to have a bridge in the negative space. Sure the Bolte is on the western side of the city but it’s not really associated with the Western Burbs. The Westgate comes immediately to mind when I think about that side of town

I really thought these kind of horizontal lock-ups were dead. ESTERN UNITED FC. Just looks so ordinary.

wufcbanner.png

Are you sure it’s not Western Wunited?

Also what’s with this team using NQ Fury’s green slant on the eastern side of the W?

Jun 27, 2012
Brisbane
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Brisbane Lions
In that case I don’t think they intended for the logo to have a bridge in the negative space. Sure the Bolte is on the western side of the city but it’s not really associated with the Western Burbs. The Westgate comes immediately to mind when I think about that side of town

I could be very wrong. Certainly couldn't make out the Westgate though!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back