Player Watch Sam Murray - (Delisted 2019)

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Murray won't play another senior game regardless of his penalty. He had his chance and wasnt up to it.
I don’t get this.
Young guy.
Played about ten games.
Very very quick.

On the list, may as well give him another go, if he has enough talent, we can only win from it.

Speed kills.

I’m not into kicking people onto the kerb.

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
And Dane Swan never got a Rising Star nomination after ten games!
True true.

Besides he doesn’t have to be Dane Swan to justify his place.

If he was a version of a Josh Thomas down back, break some lines, why not...

jonbe54

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 18, 2009
Rural paradise
AFL Club
Collingwood
Simply put a bad example to younger players so a time out of the game to reflect and decide how much he wants an AFL career.

I'm sure the club will be monitoring his attitude both on and off the field at Wang . . .

If he knuckles under and tries to add extra strings to his bow then he may be deserving of a second chance, but his selfishness in letting his club and team mates down for one night of 'fun' has already cost him huge bucks.

The club has stuck with him and supported him.

It's in his own court now and he must prove worthy of his team mates and the club to earn a chance at redemption.

Jun 10, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
I don’t get this.
Young guy.
Played about ten games.
Very very quick.

On the list, may as well give him another go, if he has enough talent, we can only win from it.

Speed kills.

I’m not into kicking people onto the kerb.
Think again Saintly. There are plenty of perfect people in the world who have never made mistakes and thus never sought forgiveness. This type of a person usually ends up as a religious deity or a poster on BigFooty.

Thatsmyname

Plausible deniability
Apr 16, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
No 3peat (Ninth)mond Minnows
As my dear old gran used to say:
In for a penny, in for a pound.

Oct 7, 2014
?
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
49ers
True true.

Besides he doesn’t have to be Dane Swan to justify his place.

If he was a version of a Josh Thomas down back, break some lines, why not...

How many defenders are you playing and who are you dropping? Qaynor is clearly in their long term plans and he will be playing senior footy soon enough. The other running defenders are Maynard and Crisp and they are certainties. Levi is playing down back but he isn't long term either.

Murphy and Appleby are others in the mix.

Murray is a turnover machine who makes poor decisions. His 1 wood is taking off and running but he then often runs himself into problems. He isn't a penetrating kick (unlike Saad) and often kicks it short.

If Murray only get 2 years there are another 2 drafts before he plays again. I reckon they will be drafting players with good foot skills who can play behind the ball which will push Murray further down the list.

Saintly Viewed

Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
How many defenders are you playing and who are you dropping? Qaynor is clearly in their long term plans and he will be playing senior footy soon enough. The other running defenders are Maynard and Crisp and they are certainties. Levi is playing down back but he isn't long term either.

Murphy and Appleby are others in the mix.

Murray is a turnover machine who makes poor decisions. His 1 wood is taking off and running but he then often runs himself into problems. He isn't a penetrating kick (unlike Saad) and often kicks it short.

If Murray only get 2 years there are another 2 drafts before he plays again. I reckon they will be drafting players with good foot skills who can play behind the ball which will push Murray further down the list.
You might be right.
Whilst he’s on the list he gets my support.

You are making him sound worse than he is.
He has flaws and upside, be nice to see where he’s at with time playing.

Oct 7, 2014
?
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
49ers
Think again Saintly. There are plenty of perfect people in the world who have never made mistakes and thus never sought forgiveness. This type of a person usually ends up as a religious deity or a poster on BigFooty.

Not sure if this is directed at me but if you are you are missing my point. I don't care about his off field stuff. I just don't think he is good enough to get a game now or in 2 years.

He is about to have a minimum of 2 years out of footy and he isn't going to improve sitting on the shelf.

Saintly Viewed

Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Jesus

Saintly Viewed

Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
making it sound worse because I have a different opinion to yours?
No.

Just highlighting any preserved weakness but not offsetting it with electricity speed.

Saintly Viewed

Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Jun 10, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Not sure if this is directed at me but if you are you are missing my point. I don't care about his off field stuff. I just don't think he is good enough to get a game now or in 2 years.

He is about to have a minimum of 2 years out of footy and he isn't going to improve sitting on the shelf.

It wasn’t directed at you, more at the moralists. Certainly ok with anyone having a football opinion.

But just to correct your comments above, if he gets two years, he is back eligible August 2020, when he is 22 and there is one draft between now and then.

I am hearing less than 2 years around the water cooler.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Jul 21, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
If he gets 2 years then delist him. Keeping Thomas and Keeffe on the list hardly worked in our favour (given Thomas's recent poor form) and I would rather we draft someone new given that Quaynor looms as the successor to Murray's briefly held mantle. To besmirch an AFL career so early is a blemish that cannot be overlooked. After a bright start by Murray, opposition teams seemed to all too quickly discover his achilles heel and counter his effectiveness. Let him go and start afresh.

If he gets 2 years then delist him. Keeping Thomas and Keeffe on the list hardly worked in our favour (given Thomas's recent poor form) and I would rather we draft someone new given that Quaynor looms as the successor to Murray's briefly held mantle. To besmirch an AFL career so early is a blemish that cannot be overlooked. After a bright start by Murray, opposition teams seemed to all too quickly discover his achilles heel and counter his effectiveness. Let him go and start afresh.

I think that Murray should be allowed to move on from his mistake; his blemish shouldn't besmirch him too much.

He might not make it, but he might, and the club have already paid for him so I'd like to see them explore the value of their asset...if his teammates are okay with that.

May 25, 2006
Beach
AFL Club
Collingwood

Thomas was a Dom Sheed kick away from being a premiership player..

He has already justified the clubs decision. Keeffe also going ok at the Giants and probably unlucky to not get more opportunities in his comeback year at Collingwood.

Last edited:

Saintly Viewed

Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
As a curiosity how do we view
Alan Didak?
Dane Swan?
Darren Millane?

Do they have blemishes that can not be over looked?

Or are blemishes that can not be over looked only for the “weaker” players that can be given a free kick (from us) when they are down?

Interesting the general contrasts how we all view things if a player is thought of as highly valuable.

Have to admit Mick M got it right when he said players are not treated equally.

Jul 21, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
As a curiosity how do we view
Alan Didak?
Dane Swan?
Darren Millane?

Do they have blemishes that can not be over looked?

Or are blemishes that can not be over looked only for the “weaker” players that can be given a free kick (from us) when they are down?

Interesting the general contrasts how we all view things if a player is thought of as highly valuable.

Have to admit Mick M got it right when he said players are not treated equally.
You are all entitled to your opinions, as am I to mine. Millane, Swan and Didak were fortunate to play in an era when player misbehaviour was tolerated. The other difference between the players you mention and (potentially) Murray is that they were not suspended for 2 years.

Should Murray escape a 2 year suspension, I would keep him on the list. Otherwise, in his brief career with us, I don't believe he showed enough to justify waiting two years for him being eligible to play again. He initially looked a great prospect until his defensive and disposal skills were exposed. Though he had not played an AFL game till last year, he was in his third year with an AFL club. There is probably not a lot of room for improvement left in him.

May 25, 2006
Beach
AFL Club
Collingwood
Its a bit harsh to write a player off for being "exposed" by the opposition. All players have ups and downs in their development. He showed a lot more in his first AFL year than most other first year players in 2018.

On the question of talent as a standalone topic he did enough to warrant another opportunity.

Its more a question (after the length of the ban is known) of more subjective questions about his attitude, mindset, commitment etc

Its a bit harsh to write a player off for being "exposed" by the opposition. All players have ups and downs in their development. He showed a lot more in his first AFL year than most other first year players in 2018.

On the question of talent as a standalone topic he did enough to warrant another opportunity.

Its more a question (after the length of the ban is known) of more subjective questions about his attitude, mindset, commitment etc

I view him as a fantastic prospect. Solid defensively already. Trying to also play a style that will be awesome offensively if he can pull it off. He's not yet good enough to play that style, but if he comes back and physically develops, gets strong enough through the hips to break tackles, watch the extra confidence, composure and ability to get out of trouble when he runs himself into out.

If possible, he's a keeper. He's not a finished product, still needs a heap of machine work, but if he gets that machine work. Look out!

atomiser

Debutant
Mar 28, 2019
Out West
AFL Club
Collingwood
I'd be fine with him returning a la Thomas/Keefe should he be banned for 2 years. 4 might be a bridge too far, but 2 is fine.

Showed a bit when he played in my opinion.
I would offer him a rookie spot if it was only 2 years, if you consider that we rookied Broomhead then I think Murray is a much better player with a much bigger scope for improvement

If it’s four year ban, well delist and say bye bye, two years or less he could be worth another chance and probably get one from the club.

Back