Strength Weight Training: Anything and Everything II

Remove this Banner Ad

Craziest example I’ve seen was a friend (35 y/old mum of 2) who took her bench from 110kg to 122.5kg in 7 months benching 4 days a week the whole way through.
Might not sound like heaps but she’d basically been tracking on 10kg a year for the previous 3 years so to basically double her progress is insane (2014 her bench was in the 80s, 2015 in the 90s, hit 100kg early in 2016, 110kg in March 2017 then came out with 122.5 in October of 2017).

On my first ever weight cut, halfway through the cut I started benching every day. Before the cut I was at 175kg bench, which dropped down to about 162ish halfway through the cut.

Then I started benching every day and it trended upwards for the next three months all the way until 190kg as I dropped my weight down to 73kg.

Not heaps compared to some but it was crazy how I actually gained strength through optimising my training
Edit: trended up to 180 not 190

Re: Weight Training: Building Muscle

To be honest, I have totally neglected leg work thus far. Basically just in it to look good. Bit of a surprise to the girlfriend who has gone over to America to study for 6 months.

So purely in terms of shaping the upper body, leg work doesnt seem overly essential to me?

Please excuse my obvious ignorance!

The testosterone and growth hormone come from working the biggest muscles - which are all in your legs and arse. If you are not working legs you are *ing your gains.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

The testosterone and growth hormone come from working the biggest muscles - which are all in your legs and arse. If you are not working legs you are ******ing your gains.

I've always been big on working legs, but is the slight gain in test and GH from working legs really anything more than negligible considering its far from a supraphysiological increase?

I've always been big on working legs, but is the slight gain in test and GH from working legs really anything more than negligible considering its far from a supraphysiological increase?

When I was a kid I did the whole light bulb thing - when I started working legs and doing dead’s every week I noticed the gains in the upper body - might be in my head

Iirc it’s also an extremely short lived increase (30-60 minutes).
Unless you’re squatting 7 days a week, 3 times a day probably not something you’ll benefit from!

And this is why we bench on monday, otherwise known as International Day of Chest, and not friday.

By friday you're so hammered physically and mentally that percentages go out the window, and you'll be lucky if you can do flyes with the pink dumbells in the ladies gym.

I shifted push day to Sunday night.

Nobody in the place for hours. It was fantastic.

No pulling for me today, as the place will be a nightmare. Might rest up and go for a walk

For me the main reason to work legs is because I don't want to end up being one of those people that struggle to walk down stairs or get out of a chair

Smart move.

After a lazy weekend on the couch, I feel all stiff and Monday-itised out.

I shifted my weekend training to 6am Saturday and 7pm Sunday.

Absolute godsend. Friday night is good too. I am a fat ass so i need to work when everyone is showing off their good work.

I’ve been doing a heap of trap work recently and following this format;

I’ve also been doing my shrugs with KB and following the technique in the video. Up and back and squeeze.

As well as what is in the video I’ve been doing seated rows but with the U shaped grip (not sure the name of it) but you can get the bar right into your midriff and really squeeze the mid traps.

It’s definitely added to my physique. My traps have come up well and just made me look a lot bigger. I don’t do any chest work these days, just all back, arms and lower body.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have reported your post. Enjoy your ban.

John Meadows (mountaindog1 on youtube) is also really good on back work.
My chest just explodes mate, and I can’t fit into clothes! Seriously! When I train chest I have to get 2-3XL shirts.

I can keep up my swimming regime (not much these days) and that keeps my muscle mass on my chest. I want arms and shoulders like James Frawley. He looks like a gorilla. I rate it.

59179F80-FD39-4697-A6E1-063B5EDDCFBD.jpeg

My chest just explodes mate, and I can’t fit into clothes! Seriously! When I train chest I have to get 2-3XL shirts.

I can keep up my swimming regime (not much these days) and that keeps my muscle mass on my chest. I want arms and shoulders like James Frawley. He looks like a gorilla. I rate it.

View attachment 670105
That's a good problem to have.

if you train chest like most people, you'll only hit shoulders and triceps anyway.

That's a good problem to have.

if you train chest like most people, you'll only hit shoulders and triceps anyway.
Nah I know how to hit it! And I’ve done a lot of DB press over the years, and the one exercise that really blew me up was the incline DB press.

My elbow is shot these days so getting good triceps work in is hard. Skull crushers with a bar really irritates it. I do a lot of cable work and that’s pretty decent.

With Easter and a bye meaning no footy the past couple of weekends it's meant I've managed to get in some weight training that is more akin to what I was doing when I was powerlifting (albeit with less weight and volume than I was doing previously).
Sounds funny given we're only a game into the season but I'm looking forwards to lifting "full time" once the season is done. Having a good year or so where I've been lifting more for shits and giggles has been good for motivation, and having dropped some volume which was masking a few weak areas I've managed to become more dialed in on what I need to work on (and therefore should make my training more efficient)

Week 1

Week 2

Even just from the last two weeks it seems obvious that for my squat and deadlift if I can't get to the midpoint of the lift with a bit of momentum and the position I do standing good mornings in (I've done 140kg x 5 on them previously) I struggle (quad/glute limitation) and that my chest is probably the biggest weak point of my bench (in the past 2 months I've discovered that I actually seated OHP more than I incline press and bench more in a close grip than a regular comp grip lol)
Hey can you explain the benefit of the seated shrugs?

Good decision.
Tried an incline bench with 20kg dumbbells (good for me) and for the first time, i really felt something in my chest.

So for the moment i am going to scale back the barbell bench (maybe just high reps to get the blood flowing) and try dumbbell varieties.

I struggle with a poor grip, so its hard to hold them sometimes

I have reported your post. Enjoy your ban.

John Meadows (mountaindog1 on youtube) is also really good on back work.

I use the split Meadows outlined on T-Nation years ago for my accessory work when I’m eating enough to be gaining weight (which has been a while haha).
For “back” I’d do my lighter day of squats and deadlifts followed by single arm rows, pull downs, shrugs then a lower back movement

Remove this Banner Ad

Back