Umpiring standards 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Would be nice if Holding The Ball existed. Umpires completely imploded in that fourth quarter with a completely inept display.
It exists for some teams. Not Collingwood, Richmond or Geelong though.

What has happend to the rules around handballing? Clearly Collingwood quick exit the contest throws are accepted as handballs.???? At least 20 today.

The Bombers were reamed by the umpires today. There may have been a few bad decisions against Collingwood but by and large they were the beneficiaries of most of the dubious decisions and more importantly the dubious non-decisions. The poor umpiring that favoured Collingwood went a long way towards their victory. a hollow victory.

how come the bombers get handed 2 free kicks in front of goal that even the commentators were laughing at but it's no problem?

dont get me wrong we got some ******* horrible decisions in our favour but its not like they were 20 meters directly in front of goal, twice?

Did bagulaely deserve that free kick & free goal he got yes or no?

Melbourne vs Tigers there were two clear marks not paid to Lynch where he 'clunked' the ball and had it punched out of his hands. This used to always get paid if the player grabbed the ball cleanly first time. I've noticed quite a few of these in the last couple of seasons.

It's worrying because this is a fairly black and white interpretation. It hasn't changed for many years and a good umpire should be able to instinctively call these.

There were a couple of HTB decisions today which weren't called. The Stephenson one at the end was one of those decisions a good umpire should call instinctively. One arm pinned, the other arm with the ball free and then he literally throws the ball at his foot and missed. It would have been a completely non-controversial decision.

That said, I don't think the Umpires were that bad today and no worse than several players, but that kind of decision was a no brainer.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

how come the bombers get handed 2 free kicks in front of goal that even the commentators were laughing at but it's no problem?

dont get me wrong we got some ******* horrible decisions in our favour but its not like they were 20 meters directly in front of goal, twice?

Did bagulaely deserve that free kick & free goal he got yes or no?

Probably not. And Neither did Guelfi either but lets also be fair.

Cox got a dodgy free that he should have converted. He then did the exact same thing and did not get called on it one minute later which resulted ina great goal from Sidebottom.

Yes you got some bad calls go against you.

The sheer fact that neutrals are siding with Essendon* (added the * to show what most people call us) highlights to me that you got the better side of the deal.

Every single person at the ground stopped twice.... Players..., crowd..., except for the umps. Something is very very wrong and his name is Hocking

Probably not. And Neither did Guelfi either but lets also be fair.

Cox got a dodgy free that he should have converted. He then did the exact same thing and did not get called on it one minute later which resulted ina great goal from Sidebottom.

Yes you got some bad calls go against you.

The sheer fact that neutrals are siding with Essendon* (added the * to show what most people call us) highlights to me that you got the better side of the deal.

Actually there are plenty of neutrals who admit it was just s**t umpiring both ways.

But there are some neutrals who will claim Collingwood got the rub of the green if we lose the free kick count 30-10!

Yea the umpiring sucked but it did not cost Essendon the game. They had plenty of chances to rebound in the last 2 mins Saad even handballed it to Treloar who was the only Collingwood player amongst 4 Essendon ones.

Umpiring this year has sunk to a new low ..the Carlton Hawks game in Launceston was a prime example of Umpires simply not having a clue as to what calls they should be making...for some reason they pulled free kicks from no where ...where the spectators were all looking at each other and asking " what was that free for ?" I know there is no reason why the free kick has to be even in a game ..But In a very even and close contest for one team to get double the ammount of frees than the opposing team beggers belief.

I was having a think about the idiots who thrash umpires every single weekend and not the absurd rules they are expected to follow
Take tackling as an example and just comprehend what a neutral umpires has to adjudicate

So a player lays a tackle

Was it high?
Was it low?
If it was high did they duck?
Is it in the back?
Was it too aggressive?
Were they holding them too early?
Did they hold them too late?
Did they have prior?
If they had prior did they make an attempt
If they didnt have prior they dont need to make an attempt
Was it a throw?
Its ok to throw if they didnt have prior
But its not ok to miss an attempted handball
A bounce is against the rules
But you can drop it cold

That all happens in like 2 seconds, then another tackle is laid.

What the actual **** do people expect to happen. In any tackle half of those problem happen, the umpires has to choose to enforce on of those at some point in the chain. No matter what they are ignoring other free kicks. Its an insanely stupidly hard task they have atm

I've thought for a while that the umps have been given a rule book that is impossible to implement.

Nick Riewoldt made a comment on the radio to the effect that perhaps we need a 'think-tank' which re-writes all the rules taking out all of the grey areas. Make it easier for the umps.

I'm beginning to agree with him.

It would change the game (for a while) but so what? We're changing the game all the time anyway by bringing in more rules (and interpretations). The HTB is a joke (eg Betts this weekend). So many of the rules could be improved just by making them easier to adjudicate.

I've thought for a while that the umps have been given a rule book that is impossible to implement.

Nick Riewoldt made a comment on the radio to the effect that perhaps we need a 'think-tank' which re-writes all the rules taking out all of the grey areas. Make it easier for the umps.

I'm beginning to agree with him.

It would change the game (for a while) but so what? We're changing the game all the time anyway by bringing in more rules (and interpretations). The HTB is a joke (eg Betts this weekend). So many of the rules could be improved just by making them easier to adjudicate.

Didn’t wankley and co do this last year?

Didn’t wankley and co do this last year?
I'd go one further and refine rules that the umpires sometimes use and sometimes don't. Be really specific about under what circumstances you blow your whistle. Chopping the arms, blocking a player's run at the ball, deliberate out of bounds, front on contact. The example I use is LBW in cricket.

LBW is a really difficult one to judge. But everyone knows what's going on. It happens in a split second and is totally the umps call. However, he's given really clear instructions (if it's pitching in line, hitting the stumps with no possibility of going over or down legside - it's out. All other scenarios and you have to give the benefit of the doubt to the batsman, with the exception being if they don't play a shot, in which case the ball doesn't have to be pitching in line with the stumps.) It's very prescriptive. The 'benefit of the doubt' in football terms would be 'play on'.

Then, If the rule can't be realistically broken down into a specific black-and-white example - get rid of it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back