Preview Round 8, 2019: St.Kilda v West Coast - Marvel Stadium, Saturday 11th May, 7:25PM AEST

Who Wins?

• Saints

Votes: 34 44.2%
  • Eagles

Votes: 43 55.8%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
i can't fault it to be honest

you can't drop dunstan for not doing enough, then let clark coast by. i think you just have to select to form. if you have some form built up, you will get wiggle room with a bad game. clark and dunstan do not have that form right now. neither did the other outs.
So why is Long still in he was very poor last week

Pretty predictable and sensible changes TBH.

Obvious changes IMO. Something we haven’t seen over the past few years. Somethings changed this year where the selection committee are picking a side that’s difficult to argue with. Sure Hind is stiff but Phillips is one of our best outside runners so naturally comes in for Clark who’s down on form & confidence. Brown for Joyce absolute no-brainer. Over the past two weeks our clearances have been poor so in comes Dunstan. Three talls didn’t work, see ya Marsh even know you are unlucky. Really pleased with the changes to be honest & glad the coaching group have stuck with Long & Acres. We need them in & firing.

Not happy. 3 players in for 1 week then straight out.
What’s the point of keeping players in that aren’t up to it? All 3 played poorly, the coaches have acknowledged that so they go back to the VFL to work on things so that next time they come in they’re better.

really happy with those changes. really good moves!

Just me gotta be kidding

Awful.

Phillips has been appalling at training & games .

All credit to Brown for his fitness level but we needed Marsh / Joyce in team for development.

Short memories against the Crows .

Hind has been outstanding .....again critical of team selection .

Would have all these players in front of Phillips on form mystifying selection.

Hind, White , Langlands , Clark even Coffield who’s form has been indifferent ,

Phillips? I didn't see that one coming...but good for him. I feel a bit for Marsh, thought he would've been worth persisting with. Agree with Clark and Joyce, they're not ready and shouldn't have been played, however I disagree with playing these guys for a single game though. From experience it is better to let a bloke fall on their sword than to stab them in-front of the troops. Dropping a bloke after a game can sort of let them off in a way by giving them room to think that they weren't given a proper shot. Give them a month of bad games and they come to realise that they have to work to do, and will more often than not duly come back a much better proposition. I would have thought that after the Adelaide game, the next three matches would have been good to experiment with the next crop of players as a team, guys such as Hunter, Coffield, White, Phillips, Young, Hind. Give them a taste against some of the best in the league for a spell...let them get bumped and bruised against the best so that they know where they are, and what they have to do. There would be enough experience (relatively speaking) to cover for their inadequacies. To be brutally honest, the optimism of the first five weeks or so was bound to come to earth beginning with the Adelaide game (though I thought it was originally winnable...stupid optimism) Why not play a few kids in a block of what are - realistically - not particularly winnable games.

Looks like West Coast are trying to stretch our smaller defence by bringing in Waterman for Masten but it could give us an advantage in run and speed.

Marshall should be able to dominate against Vardy who was flogged by Witts last week, Hickey would have given him a much tougher test.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just quickly for someone who can't get to Sandy games where have the all been playing?

Hind Outstanding

Dunstan. To good for VFL

White Very consistent

Phillips Appalling been very very ordinary.

Rice Back pocket player ....playing pinch forward .

Like trying to hammer square peg in round hole

Longer. Struggled

Joyce. Consistent

Clark. Pretty good still learning , needs to improve defensive area and build endurance .

Coffield Struggled but appeared to be getting mojo back off half back .

Hind Outstanding

Dunstan. To good for VFL

White Very consistent

Longer. Struggled

Joyce. Consistent

Clark. Pretty good still learning , needs to improve defensive area and build endurance .

Thanks, though I wanted to know where they had been playing. The positions. The ones you mentioned originally.

I’ve never been a Phillips fan, but he was quite good in the JLT because he’s basically always there as that get out of trouble kick because he just outruns others.

Would like to see what Hind has got, but they must be looking for what Phillips has more so. Otherwise, changes make sense.

What’s the point of keeping players in that aren’t up to it? All 3 played poorly, the coaches have acknowledged that so they go back to the VFL to work on things so that next time they come in they’re better.
Joyce was brought in because Brown was poor in his last game and then was ordinary at VFL level.

Marsh on debut. If he wasn't good enough he shouldn't have been selected first time around, replaced a small forward, confusing.

Same with Clark out for Dunstan, sure he was poor but honestly 1 game.

All this selection says is that last weeks selection was inept.

I’ve never been a Phillips fan, but he was quite good in the JLT because he’s basically always there as that get out of trouble kick because he just outruns others.

Would like to see what Hind has got, but they must be looking for what Phillips has more so. Otherwise, changes make sense.
Hind is a bit unlucky the backline has been working so well as a unit. I'm sure he will get his chance soon.

Hind Outstanding

Dunstan. To good for VFL

White Very consistent

Longer. Struggled

Joyce. Consistent

Rice has been pretty good as a forward. Seems like a strange move but it surprisingly works.

Not necessarily all the specific selections I would have made, but overall, I can respect those changes. I picked Brown and Dunstan to come in. I think Marsh and Hunter were perhaps a bit hard done by, though maybe Hunter needs to be eased into the big leagues - he's still pretty young. I think Long is a bit lucky, but hey. Ed is a surprise, but still, he's generally been one of those players who plays notably better in the seniors than he does in the seconds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back