Health Depression

Remove this Banner Ad

revo333

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 7, 2018
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Went for a massive walk along the beach the other day. I recommend. The fresh air and time to think and walk is brilliant.

Im lucky Ive got a fairly isolated long stretch of white sand down the road.

On SM-G925I using BigFooty.com mobile app

I hit the Gold Coast 2-3 times a year and wake up to walk along the beach just as the sun starts coming up.

It does wonders!

Dec 30, 2018
Gimuy Walubara Yidinji
AFL Club
Hawthorn
All you need to do is just survive. Find someone you trust and talk to them or failing that call an anonomous line, post or PM here. But all you need to worry about is just you and what you need to do to get through.

Thanks man, I've been dealing with social anxiety for a while, this latest event hurt me a lot, because I was trying to be nice person and unfortunately can be socially inept at times.

Oct 23, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Melbourne Hawks, NY Rangers
I had a couple of days there where I felt like a drain on everyone, including society, my family, and acquaintances, and that I should just finally take myself out. It's true that I have said and done stupid things in the past, and I spent a lot of time thinking about that and hating myself. I am a flawed person, but I am trying to make it right.

Apr 2, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Thanks man, I've been dealing with social anxiety for a while, this latest event hurt me a lot, because I was trying to be nice person and unfortunately can be socially inept at times.

Mate my whole life is social * ups.

But end of the day it is your life and you can only live it as you see fit. People can think whatever the hell they want.

May 10, 2007
Under the table
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Pittsburgh Penguins
My beautiful wife is in for a few weeks again. I think it’s every year or every other year. I’m so proud she can now put up her hand and say “I need help”. It’s hard managing the house and kids and my own feelings for a few weeks (months?), but I’d much rather try to deal with the issue than pretend it’s not there. We’ve avoided suicide attempts and the like this time.

I dunno if there’s a “partners of depressed people” club but at this point I feel I could be a lecturer.

Apr 2, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
My beautiful wife is in for a few weeks again. I think it’s every year or every other year. I’m so proud she can now put up her hand and say “I need help”. It’s hard managing the house and kids and my own feelings for a few weeks (months?), but I’d much rather try to deal with the issue than pretend it’s not there. We’ve avoided suicide attempts and the like this time.

I dunno if there’s a “partners of depressed people” club but at this point I feel I could be a lecturer.

Good on you. All you can do is support. But ultimately it is her issue and she has to deal with it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Apr 2, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Take 3 days off. Just do that. All you gotta do. Just survive. Find something you really want to do and just do it. Trust yourselves and your loved ones and live the best life you can. I'm getting off Social Media but all the best on this site. You are all legends.

mouncey2franklin

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 16, 2018
AFL Club
North Melbourne

No pressure to answer, but do you mind if I ask when this started?

Did she have a history before you started your family, or did this all come about afterward?

Either way, credit to you for keeping it together.

mouncey2franklin

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 16, 2018
AFL Club
North Melbourne
To anybody in this thread who reads this, and suffers depression/anxiety, have you tried getting off alcohol and other drugs to see what difference this makes?

I'd be interested to know if people try getting off recreational drugs before getting on psych drugs.

Seems to me that alcohol affects my mindset for days (even weeks) after a period of heavy drinking.

Only once I've spent a few weeks away from alcohol do I notice how much calmer and more positive my inner dialogue is when continually sober.

May 10, 2007
Under the table
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Pittsburgh Penguins
No pressure to answer, but do you mind if I ask when this started?

Did she have a history before you started your family, or did this all come about afterward?

Either way, credit to you for keeping it together.

Hmmm, not really sure where it all started. Probably in childhood for her, where there was some difficult things going on. My wife had two kids when I met her, but was not diagnosed or under any treatment/care for depression/anxiety or similar. We had some big drama about a decade ago and since there's been ongoing treatment. I think there are likely biological/physiological things going on in her that have always been there.

We're still learning, trying to find better ways to manage things so she can function how she wants to function and the interruptions to our family life are minimised. I think she's doing pretty well, and we're working away to understand triggers, patterns and so on. I am sort of resigned to the fact this will be a lifelong thing, so am looking for ways to "manage" it. I don't think what happens for her can be "fixed" or "cured". I think it's just part and parcel of how she's wired.

Jan 21, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
To anybody in this thread who reads this, and suffers depression/anxiety, have you tried getting off alcohol and other drugs to see what difference this makes?

I'd be interested to know if people try getting off recreational drugs before getting on psych drugs.

Seems to me that alcohol affects my mindset for days (even weeks) after a period of heavy drinking.

Only once I've spent a few weeks away from alcohol do I notice how much calmer and more positive my inner dialogue is when continually sober.

Yep, i'm pretty down and out for about 3-5 days after a night on the piss. Try and avoid it these days.

Jan 21, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Started going to a pysch again. I'm very up and down, will have about 3/6 months of success and then 3/6 months of just self-sabotage and self-hatred. Got a * load of trauma that I have to move on from. Recently had a big night, which involved some illicit substances and it triggered shocking anxiety. Think it's a bit of a wake up call to be honest.

I went through a period of depression last year, and a big part of me getting over it was I started smoking a ridiculous amount of weed.

Getting out of that habit was harder than getting out of depression. Self medication is not good.

Mar 13, 2015
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Having a horrible time, it’s interesting how at their worst, you don’t even want to eat food, you can’t sleep and time slows down a lot.

Too sensitive for the demands of modern society. We’re just humans, we’re all worthy by society and capitalism adds a huge amount of complex pressure.

It’s too much on everyone.

Last edited:

PatrickBateman

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 8, 2008
Cartagena, Colombia
AFL Club
Geelong
capitalism adds a huge amount of complex pressure

I think this point is an interesting one.

Conversely, it's capitalism that actually provides a whole lot of freedom for so many. It really boils down to the individual. Not everyone will thrive in one particular social situation, capitalism has proven to work the best to date for the majority. But yes, it leaves people by the side of the road.

The reality for men in a capitalist society (especially)...
- Men desire women
- Women judge men against each other primarily by their status, and to a lesser extent but importantly health
- Status in a capitalist society revolves for the most part around money - stability, security, ability to provide in such a society
- Roughly speaking - 85% of women think they're entitled to the best 10% of men, 50% probably think they're a shot at the top 5%

This is why so many women think a patriarchy still exits, capitalism IS geared for men, but only the most successful men, a small(ish)%. These men are highly driven, very hard working and often couldn't care too much about women anyway. Why would they? They have so much female opportunity, who cares?

The men on the lower end of the aforementioned scale have it the hardest in this society in my opinion (all men and women considered), the ability to not keep up very often results in depression, a lack of confidence, self loathing, etc. All we hear in the media is how important it is for women to have opportunity and advantage too.

It's a tough one.

Perth gal

Premiership Player
Oct 19, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
Just sick and tired of feeling lonely. Don’t feel like it’s ever going to change or get better.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back