Preview Dogs on Mars: Round 8 Saturday May - 11 1:45 pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staggered that we’ve dropped Josh Walker. Really can’t work it out. I’d have thought he was an ideal match up for young Naughton.
I don't think it is that hard to work out. We only need 1 key defender as they have 1 key forward. The it is Andrews vs Walker and Andrews will win.

Got me mystified how Harris Andrews has kept his spot in the firsts, won 3 on the trot last year without him and now the last 2 with him on the sidelines.

Surely he has to fight for his position with a demonstration of consistency through the NEAFL. Is Harris trade bait?

giphy (2).gif

There was some stat about us having the 5 tallest players on the ground (if both teams remained unchanged) outside of our rucks, then Bont being their tallest and the 6th tallest over all - if that makes sense.

Clearly a tall had to go and it was deemed harris comes in - they have a small forward line, so I guess walker makes sense.

This Doggies team is agile and could get under our feet in difficult conditions. It was not expected, but I suppose we needed to go smaller and someone has to come out.

It’s a side of selection night we haven’t experienced in a long time, I.e. quality, in form players being omitted. A very different type of feeling to “ugh, how is this spud getting a game, mowing the coach’s lawn etc”.

Obviously Harro is an automatic selection but can’t help but feel a bit gutted for Walker.

I had kinda forgotten that being an improving side has its emotional downsides.

Bailey over Squizzy is a far easier pill to swallow. Sorry Lewy.

Funny about the Lester angst, but no mention of Hodge.

Lester will basically be coming off the bench covering the likes of Hodge, Gardiner and Andrews as they rotate for rests.

Lester is no slower, or less athletic than Hodge, and I expect Lester to pretty much have the same matchups.

I'm not one of those who thinks the coaches always know best . They're just like a group of guys tossing up issues the same as anyone does on Big Footy . Then they have to make a decision and sometimes it can be an impulse thing.

And there are also things going on in the club that no one else knows about . It was interesting listening to Fagan talking about Zorko being a great leader because he's always up and about /enthusiastic at training and he obviously rates these sorts of things highly . So there's more that goes into it than just what happens on game day in our club

I'm not one of those who thinks the coaches always know best . They're just like a group of guys tossing up issues the same as anyone does on Big Footy . Then they have to make a decision and sometimes it can be an impulse thing.

And there are also things going on in the club that no one else knows about . It was interesting listening to Fagan talking about Zorko being a great leader because he's always up and about /enthusiastic at training and he obviously rates these sorts of things highly . So there's more that goes into it than just what happens on game day in our club

Hilarious

Man the dogs are tiny. English 201cm, Trengrove 197, Naughton 195, Cordy 191, Easton Wood 186, Gowers 187.

By contrast we have Big O, Hippy and Harris all over 200cm, Stef just below at 199ish, Dizzy 193 and a few others in the upper 180s.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am less surprised than others about Walker's omission. He's been good in his role, but his lack of mobility limits the roles he can play. The only realistic matchup this week was Naughton and Andrews or even Gardiner are probably better options.

And possibly from the outside we underestimate the impact on the balance of the backline caused by a key defender who finds it difficult to move around. It has been noticeable in recent weeks that opponents are getting more space in that part of the ground and from Fagan's point of view it might be that Walker is partly responsible.

That said, it wouldn't surprise to see him return the following week against Adelaide. He's a much better matchup against Walker or Himmelberg.

Last edited:
The question is who is a bigger liability to someone shorter and faster than them.

Walker or Lester?

I'm not sure that the answer is unequivocally Walker.

I agree Walker is a better KPD than Lester, by a long way. But we can only take one and it has to be Andrews.

I think Walker offers more than Lester for reasons stated above. But I don’t think it’s as simple as “which one is less of a liability”
For me I would’ve moved Noah and Lester for the 2 ins.
I’m fine with the decision, as I said, it shows we have depth now. I just think Walker offers more.

I am less surprised than others about Walker's omission than others. He's been good in his role, but his lack of mobility limits the roles he can play. The only realistic matchup this week was Naughton and Andrews or even Gardiner are probably better options.

And possibly from the outside we underestimate the impact on the balance of the backline caused by a key defender who finds it difficult to move around. It has been noticeable in recent weeks that opponents are getting more space in that part of the ground and from Fagan's point of view it might be that Walker is partly responsible.

That said, it wouldn't surprise to see him return the following week against Adelaide. He's a much better matchup against Walker or Himmelberg.

Given we've had Dizzy do the job on Eddie I'd be very surprised if he didn't come in against the crows.

The coaches have more information available to them than anyone else does. If they do make an impulse decision, it's coming from a greater amount of knowledge and data than anyone else.

I don't think the debate is whether they are always right - it's about how well they can justify and support their decisions.

Remember last week when Andrews was in the team for Walker in the email sent to members? I wonder if this change was on the cards last week.

Can understand dropping walker as size match up. Although I would of thought swap him with Big O. Still not a fan of 2 rucks
I reckon the two rucks thing has helped us a lot more than people realise. Martin's been fairly good when he's gone forward the last couple of weeks . Just that extra presence through the whole game of a big guy in the ruck really helps

I’m not sure if this is serious or just pure sarcasm. If it’s the former and you compare team selection with us muppets on here then you’re a little lost.

Can I be the first to comment that Walker has played as a key forward once or twice before. We have two key forwards that often have a three possession half. Hipwood and McStay foten go completely missing.

I, and several others, have suggested that Walker to CHF and McStay to anywhere you like, is an option that probably should have been tried earlier in the season.

Have a look at the last quarter of the Swans match, in slippery conditions, and see that Lester was a tower of strength (being sarcastic). Walker was a tower of strength.

I look forward to Lester going to replace a misfunctioning keyforward.

We now have no flexibility.

Can I be the first to comment that Walker has played as a key forward once or twice before. We have two key forwards that often have a three possession half. Hipwood and McStay foten go completely missing.

I, and several others, have suggested that Walker to CHF and McStay to anywhere you like, is an option that probably should have been tried earlier in the season.

Have a look at the last quarter of the Swans match, in slippery conditions, and see that Lester was a tower of strength (being sarcastic). Walker was a tower of strength.

I look forward to Lester going to replace a misfunctioning keyforward.

We now have no flexibility.

Because Andrews has never played forward? Lester hasn’t kicked 4 goals as a leading forward before?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back