Player Watch #1 - Steven May - All Australian FB

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah and i respect and love Roos the coach. As a media performer all he does is complain.

Plus the bloods culture is a bit of a ******, cool name but he won the same amount of flags as the ice culture at the eagles
Takes me back to the days of the tuberculosis culture which netted Essendon the first ever VFL/AFL premiership

Do we know what his "non-optimal condition" was tho? There is a big difference between running last in the 2km time trail with 8 minutes, than there is with 12 minutes. 8 minutes is disappointing for a senior player to be at the back of the pack rather than setting an example, but 4min/km is still pretty good for a big bloke ... while 12mins is park run type stuff.

I thought there was that story that his skin folds were in the 70s

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

“May was stung during 2018 when the players' skinfolds were posted on a wall in the club rooms and his number hovered around 70.

Under new high-performance boss Alex Rigby, who replaced Justin Cordy last year, hard running underlined the Gold Coast summer and not one player now sits above a measurement of 50.”

Caroline Wilson article.

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/amp...helping-suns-start-again-20190405-p51b5r.html

So that's last year at the Suns May's skinnies were 70 ... so still nothing on what they were this year.

Not that skin folds are the be all and end all, years gone by I'd been +15/+20 in skin folds, but 90 seconds in front in 5km time trials.

Yeah and i respect and love Roos the coach. As a media performer all he does is complain.

Plus the bloods culture is a bit of a ******, cool name but he won the same amount of flags as the ice culture at the eagles

And look how those former eagles players turned out vs the swans players. For mine that highlights the gulf between the swans and eagles cultures.

So that's last year at the Suns May's skinnies were 70 ... so still nothing on what they were this year.

Not that skin folds are the be all and end all, years gone by I'd been +15/+20 in skin folds, but 90 seconds in front in 5km time trials.
Yeah I had the dates wrong from memory but when looked it up that was his 2018 results.
Not sure if he was happy with 70's but he said he did say that he did the same thing as previous years so probably similar result.
It's interesting that he says Melbourne give their players skin fold criteria to meet - why wasn't he given any?

Do you have facts that May did train hard in the pre season?

The old saying actions speak louder than words. We know so far that;

May turned up in poor condition for pre season

Injured his hamstring and groin due to not being fit enough

Caught out drinking whilst being injured

All these factions or lack thereof would suggest football isn’t the priority. But I appreciate it is not as simple as that, he has issues outside football that may have caused him to make an error in judgement. He may be a footballer but he is still a human being, prone to making bad decisions.
Goodwin said he turned up in poor condition but trained very hard.

Mate give it some time. Seriously. You can’t just write him off yet. It’s similar to the Brian Lake deal, give him some time to get the dickhead out of him.
I hear what your saying but he’s 27 and this year is all but written off, Brian Lake played 20 odd games in his first year and was a premiership player and I think won the Norm Smith. He had also been AA twice at the dogs, picks in the 20s changed hands from memory, that’s value.

I hear what your saying but he’s 27 and this year is all but written off, Brian Lake played 20 odd games in his first year and was a premiership player and I think won the Norm Smith. He had also been AA twice at the dogs, picks in the 20s changed hands from memory, that’s value.
I think we can recover this season. It’s ironic because we need May to do it.

which is the least you would expect of a new recruit who has turned up behind the eight ball

which is the least you would expect of a new recruit who has turned up behind the eight ball
Look he turned up fat but got a serve and worked through it. No it’s not good having a beer in Richmond whilst in rehab, but I think if his contract is threatened with being torn up for being a dick it might teach him.

Look it’s all speculative, let’s just hope he comes in ready and has an impact.

Look he turned up fat but got a serve and worked through it. No it’s not good having a beer in Richmond whilst in rehab, but I think if his contract is threatened with being torn up for being a dick it might teach him.

Look it’s all speculative, let’s just hope he comes in ready and has an impact.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

“May was stung during 2018 when the players' skinfolds were posted on a wall in the club rooms and his number hovered around 70.

Under new high-performance boss Alex Rigby, who replaced Justin Cordy last year, hard running underlined the Gold Coast summer and not one player now sits above a measurement of 50.”

Caroline Wilson article.

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/amp...helping-suns-start-again-20190405-p51b5r.html

We traded pick 6 for this :hearteyes: stockpiling draft picks is useless though, name one club that won a flag off top 6 picks

Worse than coming last in the TT, being over weight or drinking while injured is that he was hanging out with Jaksch and Gorringe.

Was he looking for a mentor to show him how to waste hus talent?

If I were Melbourne I'd be telling him to steer clear of those two.

Unlikely Goodwin would say publicly he hasn’t trained hard. From all reports he ran a 7:30-8min time trial which is Park footballer stuff. He may have trained hard, but his version of hard training and what is actually hard training is two different things.

None of this is speculation, he turned up in bad shape, poor time trials, sustained two injuries.

I think he will be a good player for us, but he owes the playing group big time after his first 7-8 months with the club.

Not Drinking whist injured would be a good start.

So the article says all of the GC players were in poor shape, singles out May for no reason and then says he was back to elite standards by the end of the year.
No it doesn't

It says

May was out of shape last year (and implies other suns were as well) under the guidance of Justin Cordy fitness who was formerly rated one of the best.

New fitness guy (Alex Rigy - a gold coast product) who started 2019 at the Suns in his first top job whipped us into shape in preseason 2019.

Steven May turns up to Melbourne 2019 again out of shape.

This talk about May and his relationship - apparently he and his fiancé have not been together since well below he left the GC.
Don't think this is a new thing - only from what I read on our board though, have no personal information.

No it doesn't

It says

May was out of shape last year (and implies other suns were as well) under the guidance of Justin Cordy fitness who was formerly rated one of the best.

New fitness guy (Alex Rigy - a gold coast product) who started 2019 at the Suns in his first top job whipped us into shape in preseason 2019.

Steven May turns up to Melbourne 2019 again out of shape.

Yeah so he and your team carried poor standards since inception until this year.

Unlikely Goodwin would say publicly he hasn’t trained hard. From all reports he ran a 7:30-8min time trial which is Park footballer stuff. He may have trained hard, but his version of hard training and what is actually hard training is two different things.

None of this is speculation, he turned up in bad shape, poor time trials, sustained two injuries.

I think he will be a good player for us, but he owes the playing group big time after his first 7-8 months with the club.

You are also guessing that he didn't train hard then based on people saying he trained hard.

He was picked for the JLT so he clearly had done enough to get fit

Yeah so he and your team carried poor standards since inception until this year.
yes, not trying to deny that.

This is a conversation about Steven. He was the captain of the club.

yes, not trying to deny that.

This is a conversation about Steven. He was the captain of the club.
He's not the sports scientist.
It isn't really a conversation it's become an all in pile on and a bunch of over the top crap.

Steven May will improve our team when he is fit, it's a 4 year contract not a 7 week one

What’s the time trial distance? One lap of the Tan?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back