Changes Round 8 v Saints

Remove this Banner Ad

I know we might be one tall forward too many but a HUGE positive out of all this is that we've finally sorted out our midfielder balance!

Replace one of Allen/Waterman with Rioli when he gets back and we're absolutely laughing.

Also can someone do a welfare check on Thorne? The Marsden news must be tough for him to swallow, but with the boards help, I'm sure he'll get through it :p

People might categorise Waterman as 'big' due to his height, but role-wise he is also a runner.
Is 2cm height difference (compared to Ah Chee) such a liability in an indoor stadium?

IMO Jake is the one player on the whole list whose WAFL form has been consistent enough to justify pushing into the seniors. My only concern with him is his leg, but if he has been cleared health-wise then he deserves his spot.
My biggest concerns are his agility in trying to stop some quick handball chains. Not sure he'll get close enough to lay a tackle after a handball is fed out because he won't have the change of direction.

I wouldn't question his contested efforts or his fitness (assuming the injury hasn't effected him too much). In fact I think he could help our lack of scoring and is a good inclusion.

I don't rate his field kicking though, I can see a lot of long kicks happening, which isn't always a bad thing, especially if he turns and goes quickly which he probably will do. He is a neat enough kick down the line but lacks the ability to get a hard low ball in to a player over the back in space, it's usually an up and under if he needs to kick it over 40m.

This is it boys, the last of the "Terrible 5" out of the playing group...big things to come. (T5 was Rosa, Ebert, Stevens, Scooter and Masten).

True but I think of the currently available options Waterman is the best choice and deserves his opportunity
He definitely deserves a game. I would've preferred that they gave Allen a rest and brought in Ah Chee or Matt Allen

I like the change. Masten out waterman in is not direct change for Masten. We were already too many in the middle, now we let Sheed, yeo, redden, Gaff, Hutch and yeo take over Midfield( 6 is fine), allowing Vardy to ruck with Ollen to cover and put waterman up front when ollen is on ruck or at the back if we are under the pump. Nothing what so ever wrong IMO in terms of height. It is balanced as far as height, grunt, running ability. It comes down to execution and we will win easily if we execute with this lineup. If we were going for like for like yes Ah chee or smith for Masten would make sense, but we kept Ollen in to cover for Vardy and Waterman can actually play multiple roles too so i do not think we will have Vardy Ollen and waterman with JK and JD all on pitch at once, highly unlikely IMO. so I do not understand the whole we are too tall argument. we have DV petch and Jaimie, we just added another running payer and goal scoring in form player,( we have kicked 8,7,11 goals in last 3 games) so having i him would not hurt. We just cant drop Ollen, what if Vardy gets injured or is tired.If Hickey was fit, then the inclusios would have been Hickey and water out Ollen and Masten I think.

I'd like to see Waterman at HF, one of Jetta or Duggan more on to a wing and Allen go into defence.

We did quite well with the mobile tall High HF last year when Waterman played. Allowed JK and JD to stay closer to home.

Also Allen reads it well and can intercept well when in defence and I think we are kinda missing it a bit more with TB out and Bunga not as dominant in the air as he was last season.

I know Duggan failed on a wing but he has the tank to run hard both ways but more importantly he is hard at it and is very good at winning a ground ball or evening it when the ball slips out side on to a wing. Masten has been woeful in that regards this season.

This is it boys, the last of the "Terrible 5" out of the playing group...big things to come. (T5 was Rosa, Ebert, Stevens, Scooter and Masten).

A 250 game player, a 200 game premiership player, a 200 game player, a 150 game best and fairest winner and a 90 game player who retired early due to concussion. What a shite group. Some seriously miserable people on this board.

Also, what’s bigger than a flag?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bookmark this or screen shot it.

This selection by the MC IS WRONG.

Eagles will lose.

Placing $100 on saints

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Great “support” as usual there. And where on earth are you getting this money to place such bets every week? If I had a spare $100 I certainly wouldn’t be betting against my own team. Odd :oops:

I know we might be one tall forward too many but a HUGE positive out of all this is that we've finally sorted out our midfielder balance!

Replace one of Allen/Waterman with Rioli when he gets back and we're absolutely laughing.

Also can someone do a welfare check on Thorne? The Marsden news must be tough for him to swallow, but with the boards help, I'm sure he'll get through it :p

Right on and maybe Cole for Rothan and please swap Gaff/Sheed roles

A 250 game player, a 200 game premiership player, a 200 game player, a 150 game best and fairest winner and a 90 game player who retired early due to concussion. What a shite group. Some seriously miserable people on this board.

What ever happened to Scott selwood? I just realised he's still on Geelong's list. We really dodged a bullet when they took him via free agency.

What ever happened to Scott selwood? I just realised he's still on Geelong's list. We really dodged a bullet when they took him via free agency.
He's ankle was cooked at the end part of his career and it's still cooked.

It's a pitty cause he looked pretty good pre injury.

So it's fold the club time again looking at this thread.

Slightly tall, but don't mind it on a fast track under the roof. Rioli will reset the balance when back.

Like the order you put that in....got me working out which player matched which achievement.
*some playschool reference mentioned earlier:)

This site is so inclusive - a role model for the NRL perhaps.
One camp is sack Masten - the other we are to tall.
Now Waterman makes us to tall. He is listed as 1.91. This compares to average mids such as danger 1.87, Dusty1.98, Part Cripps 1.95 and Fyfe 1.9.
Our mids a too small to contest - Saints will be hell bent on winning the contested possession - to allow them to use pace outside. We obviously need grunt and run.
Masten is a worthy team member (I am not a fn) but he lacks grunt and power in his running (keeps going well but not explosive to attack or defend)

Waterman looks a useful option to be tried.

Who does Rioli come in for next week?

A small like Venners or a tall like Allen/Waterman?

Will we drop Allen or Vardy for Hickey? Or stick with 2 rucks?

Our team make up will be very interesting over the next few weeks.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back