Traded Ed Langdon [traded with #26 and 2020 4th to Melbourne for #22, #79 and 2020 2nd]

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
Fremantle in a good position. A very good player who will get a decent draft pick. Then look for free agents to fill his role.
Can't see that working as a list management strategy. Out of contract, so no leverage, and no difficulty getting back to Victoria if that is what he wants. Which realistically gettable FA do you see replacing him?

If I held a pick 10+ and found a guy as good as Langdon I’d be happy. We have Sidebottom and Mayne at 29 and 31 respectively in 2020 so he’s a fit. I’ll get back to you once Collingwood have clarity around Sier’s future.

I agree on the first bit. On the second do Collingwood really need Langdon,even with those guys gone you still have Phillips on one wing and you've got guys like Aish, Brown maybe even Diacos who would do well in a role like that. Given his kicking skills thats where id put Quaynor if i was a coach. Also i know theres backloading of deals but can Collingwood afford Langdon? Yes Wells money will come off the books but Varcoe and Dunn wouldnt be on a lot. De Goey will cost you much more to re-contract next year than he did last time. Collingwood are good at getting players in but Id be surprised if they can afford him. I also would have thought looking at your list that another key defender is a bigger priority at this point.

Jul 25, 2008
The Linc
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Oakland Raiders
I agree on the first bit. On the second do Collingwood really need Langdon,even with those guys gone you still have Phillips on one wing and you've got guys like Aish, Brown maybe even Diacos who would do well in a role like that. Given his kicking skills thats where id put Quaynor if i was a coach. Also i know theres backloading of deals but can Collingwood afford Langdon? Yes Wells money will come off the books but Varcoe and Dunn wouldnt be on a lot. De Goey will cost you much more to re-contract next year than he did last time. Collingwood are good at getting players in but Id be surprised if they can afford him. I also would have thought looking at your list that another key defender is a bigger priority at this point.

To specifically answer whether we really need him I would say no because other guys will come along and like your mob we find them in the draft anyway. What I believe though is that we would be better with him because I’m not sold on any of Aish, Brown and Daicos and even if they are long termers I don’t see them getting to anywhere near Langdon’s level. The best way I can put it is that we wouldn’t get into a bidding war for him, but we’ll probably have our hat in the ring.

If he chose Collingwood we’d find a way to make it work salary wise, clubs always do. That’s a negative toward our KPD stocks (it’s a perfect lesson in poor list analysis from the media) if anything we could look at shedding one or two. For perspective we have the established Moore and Roughead experience in Dunn and Goldsack in a pinch we can use T Langdon, Scharenberg and Howe then we have Murphy, Kelly and the Irish lads developing. IMO, we’re a best available club for the next few years and Langdon fits that mould. That’s at least until Kelly-Pendlebury is on the table.

Freoforever86

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 30, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
To specifically answer whether we really need him I would say no because other guys will come along and like your mob we find them in the draft anyway. What I believe though is that we would be better with him because I’m not sold on any of Aish, Brown and Daicos and even if they are long termers I don’t see them getting to anywhere near Langdon’s level. The best way I can put it is that we wouldn’t get into a bidding war for him, but we’ll probably have our hat in the ring.

If he chose Collingwood we’d find a way to make it work salary wise, clubs always do. That’s a negative toward our KPD stocks if anything we could look at shedding one or two. For perspective we have Moore and Roughead experience in Dunn and Goldsack with Murphy, Kelly and the Irish lads developing. IMO, we’re a best available club for the next few years and Langdon fits that mould. That’s at least until Kelly-Pendlebury is on the table.

Huge upgrade on Mayne and Aish. Not really needed for the pies I agree, but would make you better again.
Probably the club he’d nominate due to his brother

Jul 25, 2008
The Linc
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Oakland Raiders
Huge upgrade on Mayne and Aish. Not really needed for the pies I agree, but would make you better again.
Probably the club he’d nominate due to his brother

Yeah for all the love he’s received he’s played about 6-8 good matches in his time at the club. The epitome of a bottom 6 role player. Aish’s time with us is probably worse than that!

If he chose Collingwood we’d find a way to make it work salary wise, clubs always do. That’s a negative toward our KPD stocks (it’s a perfect lesson in poor list analysis from the media) if anything we could look at shedding one or two. For perspective we have the established Moore and Roughead experience in Dunn and Goldsack in a pinch we can use T Langdon, Scharenberg and Howe then we have Murphy, Kelly and the Irish lads developing. IMO, we’re a best available club for the next few years and Langdon fits that mould. That’s at least until Kelly-Pendlebury is on the table.

I agree with parts of that. You like us draft well so the picks have value to you. I agree Langdon is better than the guys on your list that you listed. I also agree that hes a good player but probably not worth breaking the bank for $ wise. Its a bit like us would i like another quality mid to replace TK if he goes? Yes...but we have some good young mids coming through so would i break the bank for one $ wise? No Id rather spend the cap $ on more pressing needs.

I disagree a bit on your KPD depth though, Goldsack is basically retirement age, I assume Dunn will retire, Scharenberg is unknown due to injury, the irish kids are unknown quantities (although could turn out to be good) Howe and Langdon can pinch hit KPD but are much more valuable to you in other roles, ideally a player of Roughead's age and ability should be a fringe player not a starter. So it leaves you with Moore Kelly and not much for the future. Id be spending $ on a KPD before a midfielder if i was Collingwood imo.

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong
I agree with parts of that. You like us draft well so the picks have value to you. I agree Langdon is better than the guys on your list that you listed. I also agree that hes a good player but probably not worth breaking the bank for $ wise. Its a bit like us would i like another quality mid to replace TK if he goes? Yes...but we have some good young mids coming through so would i break the bank for one $ wise? No Id rather spend the cap $ on more pressing needs.

I disagree a bit on your KPD depth though, Goldsack is basically retirement age, I assume Dunn will retire, Scharenberg is unknown due to injury, the irish kids are unknown quantities (although could turn out to be good) Howe and Langdon can pinch hit KPD but are much more valuable to you in other roles, ideally a player of Roughead's age and ability should be a fringe player not a starter. So it leaves you with Moore Kelly and not much for the future. Id be spending $ on a KPD before a midfielder if i was Collingwood imo.

Maybe they see the kid they got from basketball as a potential KPD ? Id say they are just as likely to come at someone like Henderson if Goldsack and Dunn retire.. Im sure they could picks a cheapish KPD backup.. Moore looks like basically a fantasic player ..it would only take bad luck for him to lose his spot. If as you say Roughhead is that fringe player then I guess they try to find a better player for his role.. Pies are very good at this I doub they have trouble finding a tall defender.

Langdon to play with his brother at Pies? Probably makes sense to a degree..

Alphonse_

Matching On Together
Jul 18, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton

I agree with most of that, but what i would say is Roughead has been a terrific pick up by The Pies, by no means should he be regarded as a fringe player, in my opinion.

I agree with most of that, but what i would say is Roughead has been a terrific pick up by The Pies, by no means should he be regarded as a fringe player, in my opinion.

He's been good for what they paid (pick 75) but he's not a top end KPD ideally you want the depth to have him as a depth player not a starter. Hes also really a short term hole filler rather than a long term option at his age.

Maybe they see the kid they got from basketball as a potential KPD ? Id say they are just as likely to come at someone like Henderson if Goldsack and Dunn retire.. Im sure they could picks a cheapish KPD backup.. Moore looks like basically a fantasic player ..it would only take bad luck for him to lose his spot. If as you say Roughhead is that fringe player then I guess they try to find a better player for his role.. Pies are very good at this I doub they have trouble finding a tall defender.

Langdon to play with his brother at Pies? Probably makes sense to a degree..

I think Henderson would be a good short term pickup for a number of teams and we have the depth to not really need him but he's too similar an age to Roughead Dunn Howe etc. Pies probably need another young KPD to pair with Moore although i suppose they are hoping Kelly might be that. They are good at developing players i agree. Langdon would do well at Collingwood but my point is they dont really need him as much as some other Vic clubs who do and will therefore offer more $. Unless he's prepared to take less money at Collingwood than he can get elsewhere then i don't see it.

Yeti

Premiership Player
Feb 17, 2012
Newcastle
AFL Club
Fremantle
4th in the BnF last year and would be in the top 5(ish) this year. Collingwood don't have a 1st Rounder so would have to trade future pick/s

Surely Collingwood don't have the cap space OR a place on the field for him.

There are 9 other Melbourne teams he could go to, I doubt playing with his brother would be a huge priority.

Theo X

Premiership Player
Jan 18, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
East Wedderburn Trugo Club
Given how little we traded Hogan for, we should get this guy for a 3rd rounder to return the favour.

Freoforever86

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 30, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
Melbourne going to have a crack. The type of player we need. We have managed to land our last couple of targets to.

Curious to know what melb fans think is a fair trade?
Coming into prime age and form - 50+ games - finds the footy - elite runner - footskills not quite there yet.
I’d say a mid 1st would be bang on. 12-16 range

Back