Discussion 2019 General AFL Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Really?

Lonie himself stated that he never gave up and forced his way back.

So you're saying that Paddy wasn't trusted with a run of games despite poor form? Or Billings? Or Membrey? Just to name a few.

Plenty of trust in Parker and Long who aren't exactly blue collar...

Paddy was but that looked more like they felt like they had to. That just makes it look like he has poor judgement as well. Billings got games because he was playing quite well and we were a side at the bottom of the ladder who had no one else. Membrey was coming from another club partially developed in a god system.

Lonie was in and out all year in 2018, he was converting his shots late last year and working well as a pressure forward but was more serviceable when no-one else was left standing. This year he moves all over the ground and is set up as a forward flank but as soon as the ball bounces he's running flat out like a wingman into the action, he follows the play then. He's gone to a completely new level compared to last year. Savage was looking like he was killing time until his contract ran out and has been given a defined role and has blossomed.

Anyway just because they don't stuff up development of all players doesn't mean they haven't under utilised Acres.

VDS66

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 4, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Paddy was but that looked more like they felt like they had to. That just makes it look like he has poor judgement as well. Billings got games because he was playing quite well and we were a side at the bottom of the ladder who had no one else. Membrey was coming from another club partially developed in a god system.

Lonie was in and out all year in 2018, he was converting his shots late last year and working well as a pressure forward but was more serviceable when no-one else was left standing. This year he moves all over the ground and is set up as a forward flank but as soon as the ball bounces he's running flat out like a wingman into the action, he follows the play then. He's gone to a completely new level compared to last year. Savage was looking like he was killing time until his contract ran out and has been given a defined role and has blossomed.

Anyway just because they don't stuff up development of all players doesn't mean they haven't under utilised Acres.
Time will tell.

We can Mount an argument both ways for the next 10 years lol.

People don't realize how elusive this guy is and penetrates with his kicking.
If he can put his game together he could be anything - this is his year , well it should be / to me he is a midfielder

Gees he's good to watch, he is unique and his movement in traffic is unbelievable. It's a shame we haven't turned him into what he should be.

VDS66

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 4, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
If he can put his game together he could be anything - this is his year , well it should be / to me he is a midfielder

The interesting part is that just like Dunstan, he hasnt put it together consistently.

Both have been injured.

Yet one cops a smashing on here and his deficiencies are pointed out...

Time will tell.

We can Mount an argument both ways for the next 10 years lol.

True, we don't seem to get the best out of a lot of players on top of poor drafting.

The interesting part is that just like Dunstan, he hasnt put it together consistently.

Both have been injured.

Yet one cops a smashing on here and his deficiencies are pointed out...

Dunstan is a vanilla footballer with average skills and speed. He's gutsy and tough but a lack of tank seems to hold him back from being a regular, he's actually fairly consistent. Blake has the talent to be elite, his injuries have hampered him when he has got going a bit but he doesn't seem to be one Richo rates as highly as others. I'm pretty sure I hit the nail on the head when I said he's probably too creative and not system driven the way Richo likes. I think if Dunny could get a few more possessions and spread a bit more, that Richo would never have him out of the best 22. He's the type of hard at the contest type he loves.

Last edited:
So are you saying its all the club fault?

Just to clear...

Not all of it, injury has held him back too, but I think another club probably would have had him as a much much better player. In a different system he would have been loved for the things Richo probably hates about him. Even Ross Lyon has said he liked his systems but you need a few creative drivers to break open games.

VDS66

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 4, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Dunstan is a vanilla footballer with average skills and speed. He's gutsy and tough but a lack of tank seems to hold him back from being a regular, he's actually fairly consistent. Blake has the talent to be elite, his injuries have hampered him when he has got going a bit but he doesn't seem to be one Richo rates as highly as others. I'm pretty sure I hit the nail on the head when I said he's probably too creative and to system driven the way Richo likes. I think if Dunny could get a few more possessions and spread a bit more, that Richo would never have him out of the best 22. He's the type of hard at the contest type he loves.
OK so why do Gresh and Parker get games if Richo doesn't like creative players.

Why did he ask Trout to find him a Cyril, resulting in Long being drafted?

VDS66

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 4, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Not all of it, injury has held him back too, but I think another club probably would have had him as a much much better player. In a different system he would have been loved for the things Richo probably hates about him. Even Ross Lyon has said he liked his systems but you need a few creative drivers to break open games.
Your argument doesn't hold water given the examples quoted on the above post.

I think Acres getting a full time run in the middle is dependent on him showing a bit more fire and desperation.

To me, Blake comes across as one of those guys that finds football fairly easy. Almost like Pendlebury or Dal Santo. He 'floats' through the contest and feels like he has alot of time and space to work. James Hird (for all his faults) was a master at this.

Richo wants an on ball brigade of junkyard dogs. He wants players who are ruthless at the contest and who will smash in at every opportunity. If they can break away into space ala Steven or Ross then that's a bonus, but you aren't getting midfield minutes unless you are frothing at the mouth to lay 10 tackles a week.

So Acres gets left in this 'no man's land' positionally. Too talented to be left out of the side, but doesn't play in the style the coach wants for his starting midfield. As a result he gets shoe horned in as this 3rd tall forward who pinch hits in the ruck in order to get some on ball time when, in a perfect world, he would be starting on ball and resting forward in a rotation with guys like Billings, Gresham and Lonie.

Never said it was you.

I do apologise as I should have included the word "potential" before superstar. That was stupid on my part and I'll own it.

Not going to go through thousands of posts either.

He had been over hyped on here. He has to show what he is capable of.

I do get tired of everything being sheeted back to the coaching group.

Maybe it's just the player. Maybe not.

My opinion is consistent with all players and their performance. I am beyond getting seduced by one or two good games.

I truly wish he fulfils his potential.

I do find it odd that if they know he is capable as to why he isn't a permanent mid.

Anyway I wasn't having a go at you. Sorry if you were offended.

Ps: any other poster who feels aggrieved have every right to reply. Not sure the forum benefits from naming names as you say.

I’ve always been pretty bullish about him, never called him a superstar though. And not aggrieved by your post either.

You do say that he has to show what he’s capable of and all I (and others) are saying is we would like him to be played in positions, played to his strengths more often, which would help him do that... as we have seen on previous occasions.

Oct 18, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
St Kilda, Ocean Grove Collendina Cobras

2016 highlights are all very nice but that doesn't change the fact that his 2019 possession outputs so far are

12, 8, 26, 19, 15, 9
Three years on and we are still saying "IF"

2016 highlights are all very nice but that doesn't change the fact that his 2019 possession outputs so far are

12, 8, 26, 19, 15, 9
Three years on and we are still saying "IF"

Hard to get more than 15 possessions when you're playing forward and the ball is always going long into the square and being chopped off and repelled. In the Melbourne game and the Hawks game he was up the field a bit and he was excellent. GWS every forward struggled except for Parker and in junk time Kent made himself look redeemed.

Long had 5, Bruce 7, Marsh 6, Kent, 16, Parker 12. The ball was intercepted constantly.

mightymalaka

What we have here is a failure to communicate!
May 7, 2018
Road to Nowhere
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Manchester United
Pretty sure it was Richo that came out and back him at the start of 2018 and pumped him up publicly.

So what's changed?

In terms of new perspectives, it seems the fresh voices are not arguing for him to play pure midfield...

I'm guessing he has dissapointed internally and will probably be traded unless he gets his skates on.
I'm pretty sure he has also come out and backed Dunstan as well in public!

Yet his actions are not of a man who is backing them in!

Oct 18, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Hard to get more than 15 possessions when you're playing forward and the ball is always going long into the square and being chopped off and repelled. In the Melbourne game and the Hawks game he was up the field a bit and he was excellent. GWS every forward struggled except for Parker and in junk time Kent made himself look redeemed.

Long had 5, Bruce 7, Marsh 6, Kent, 16, Parker 12. The ball was intercepted constantly.
Well if your happy with his output that's fine but me well I'm very disappointed that a potentially very talented 5th year player can, in 3 of his 6 games for the year, get less than 12 possessions a game and those possessions have very little actual impact.

He's 190 cm and 90+ kg's - he should have an impact - even if the ball is kicked long to a contest in the forward line.

Have a serious crack this week or back to Sandy.

Browny2Carlisle

Premiership Player
May 2, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda
Well if your happy with his output that's fine but me well I'm very disappointed that a potentially very talented 5th year player can, in 3 of his 6 games for the year, get less than 12 possessions a game and those possessions have very little actual impact.

He's 190 cm and 90+ kg's - he should have an impact - even if the ball is kicked long to a contest in the forward line.

He's leading the team for goal assists per game so clearly his possessions are having an impact...
How many possessions do you want a tall forward to have?

Oct 18, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
He's leading the team for goal assists per game so clearly his possessions are having an impact...
How many possessions do you want a tall forward to have?
Goal Assists - Footywire says he's equal with Jack Steele and Dean Kent (6 each) but even so he needs to be doing something with his kicks because he's certainly not kicking goals. Lowest goals per game of our forwards.

Tim Membrey 15 goals (7 games)
Matt Parker 9 goals (7 games)
Josh Bruce 9 goals (7 games)
Dean Kent 8 goals (7 games)
Ben Long 5 goals (5 games)
Lonie 6 goals (6 games)
Blake Acres 4 goals (6 games)

And I don't think he's playing purely as a "forward" - he played more as a link player and that's why his possession count is a problem.

Simply doesn't get enough of the ball consistently enough.

Stewart66

Premiership Player
Saints Pledge Contributor
Jul 27, 2014
AFL Club
St Kilda

Or sitting on the pine.

I'd rather 30 from the midfield, that's the point.

Blake doesn't apply himself and if we get a half decent offer he should be traded.

Five years in the system. Perennial tease. Just like Kosi was.

Again, I think plenty think that's best for him. Should be a star at another club. We should be able to turn that pick into a HBF who lasts 2 years before delisting.

Again, I think plenty think that's best for him. Should be a star at another club. We should be able to turn that pick into a HBF who lasts 2 years before delisting.

TBF if you consider, Hanners has to come in for rotation eventually, and in perfect world, Stuv as well, so say that's primarily Billings, Ross, Steele, Hanners, Stuv with Gresh, Sincs, Acres, Newnes wanting in and guys like Paton, Hind, Clark, Coff needing to add to bows to also be included in conversations as a minimum.

Acres is teasing, Sincs is teasing, Newnes is being queried as "has he reached a ceiling?", Dunstan is viewed as limited, if this is the case you ship them since they have currency and you rotate through to upgrade since you have to give to get in most cases and if someone thinks they can see a guy like Acres getting 30's consistently elsewhere, you sell that idea if you have a better one, and an "on" Gresh is better, Hanners best is better.

Anywho.. too much red tonight, both sides doing their best to lose this game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back