The Footy Show's 2019 format revealed (and other Nine AFL stuff)

Remove this Banner Ad

Its a shake they kept wheeling out the carcass for so long. The show deserved to go out on a better note.

Was essential viewing for a long time. Pity that ended when eddie first left.

Susie has lost all her material.
Knew she'd want to get her 10 cents in considering its people like her who killed the show in the first place, the PC brigade who are completly out of touch with what the majority of footy fans want to see. Now shes gotten her wish in getting rid of Sam (who was the footy show), I wonder if she'll turn her attention to bagging The Front Bar boys club too...

Susie O'Brien
Failed Footy Show couldn’t escape its past glory and bad blood

I’ve been one of The Footy Show’s biggest critics, calling star Sam Newman a “pathetic, ridiculous dinosaur”, a “geriatric man-baby” and a “sexist seventy-year old with the face of a schoolboy”.
But even I am sad the show’s reboot has been axed.

Producers put us out of our misery, ending the show last night, a week after it reached an all-time ratings low of 53,000 viewers

similars

THE DAY THE FOOTY SHOW DIED

When your show is beaten by a documentary about Jack the Ripper, you know the writing is on the wall.

I am glad they got rid of Newman and his crusty old cronies, but it’s a pity the new crew didn’t manage to recreate some of the magic of the show’s heyday.

39e6e69f4febcc2adfb6e1c8cb3a71d2

Eddie, Sam and Trevor in 1996.
4a464b4e8019cfa01cbdac5388109b51

The cast of the new-look show. Picture: Nicki Connolly
The current panellists — Anthony “Lehmo” Lehmann, Neroli Meadows, Dylan Alcott and Brendan Fevola — did a sterling job, but they didn’t stand a chance.

The show died years ago and Channel Nine made a critical error when it kept the same name.

The task for the new cast was almost impossible: hold onto the few rusted-on viewers the show still had and attract a whole new cohort. Sadly, they didn’t manage to do either.

The old guard, who’re probably still writing snail-mail letters to the network demanding the return of Trevor Marmalade, no doubt found it too sanitised. The new viewers failed to materialise.

Some would have been put off by the show’s long association with Newman and Eddie McGuire. Others would have found little reason to switch from other footy shows like The Front Bar on Channel Seven or the Marngrook Footy Show on NITV.

Lehmo and his crew were a bunch of very likeable people doing their best, but the magic and pizzazz of The Footy Show’s heyday was sorely lacking.

24fddf8e1da46a16faec9fa3bbc93539

1614ddec22c4b35b598286890a6270cd

Classic moment on The Footy Show
I’ve had a fair go over the years at the old show’s stars like Newman and McGuire, but I am still sorry to see the back of a show that was a ratings powerhouse for years and much-loved by many.

Tuning into The Footy Show on a Thursday night was part of the winter ritual for many families, who laughed together over Sam Newman’s Street Talk or Mailbag segment.

But this was before digital TV and Netflix and social media — gone are the days when whole families sit together to watch the same show.

Changing times also meant old ways just weren’t funny anymore.

The network allowed Newman and his cronies to continue peddling their sexist, racist, homophobic slapstick, for way too long.

Remember Newman’s blackface segment in 1999 lampooning Aboriginal player Nicky Winmar?

The time he put a journalist Caroline Wilson’s head on a mannequin dressed in lingerie?

The comments he made about transgender trailblazer Caitlin Jenner?

Such antics led viewers to desert the show in droves and stopped new fans from tuning in.

Ultimately, the new version of the show couldn’t escape its past — both the good times and bad.

There were too many memories of past glory to live up to, too much bad blood and too many bad headlines.

RIP Footy Show, your time was up.

To be fair, the 2019 version was actually a different show. As Eddie revealed on his radio this morning, the producers wanted to call it "More Than A Game" to differentiate the new format and give the new panel a chance for a fresh start. However Nine Management in Sydney overruled this and dictated that "The Footy Show" name had to remain.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

See the problem was that they tried to keep up with The Front Bar and saturated it with attempted humour, which clearly did not work.
They should have stuck with football issues and followed Marngrook's style instead.

Knew she'd want to get her 10 cents in considering its people like her who killed the show in the first place, the PC brigade who are completly out of touch with what the majority of footy fans want to see. Now shes gotten her wish in getting rid of Sam (who was the footy show), I wonder if she'll turn her attention to bagging The Front Bar boys club too...

Susie O'Brien
Failed Footy Show couldn’t escape its past glory and bad blood

I’ve been one of The Footy Show’s biggest critics, calling star Sam Newman a “pathetic, ridiculous dinosaur”, a “geriatric man-baby” and a “sexist seventy-year old with the face of a schoolboy”.
But even I am sad the show’s reboot has been axed.

Producers put us out of our misery, ending the show last night, a week after it reached an all-time ratings low of 53,000 viewers

similars

THE DAY THE FOOTY SHOW DIED

When your show is beaten by a documentary about Jack the Ripper, you know the writing is on the wall.

I am glad they got rid of Newman and his crusty old cronies, but it’s a pity the new crew didn’t manage to recreate some of the magic of the show’s heyday.

39e6e69f4febcc2adfb6e1c8cb3a71d2

Eddie, Sam and Trevor in 1996.
4a464b4e8019cfa01cbdac5388109b51

The cast of the new-look show. Picture: Nicki Connolly
The current panellists — Anthony “Lehmo” Lehmann, Neroli Meadows, Dylan Alcott and Brendan Fevola — did a sterling job, but they didn’t stand a chance.

The show died years ago and Channel Nine made a critical error when it kept the same name.

The task for the new cast was almost impossible: hold onto the few rusted-on viewers the show still had and attract a whole new cohort. Sadly, they didn’t manage to do either.

The old guard, who’re probably still writing snail-mail letters to the network demanding the return of Trevor Marmalade, no doubt found it too sanitised. The new viewers failed to materialise.

Some would have been put off by the show’s long association with Newman and Eddie McGuire. Others would have found little reason to switch from other footy shows like The Front Bar on Channel Seven or the Marngrook Footy Show on NITV.

Lehmo and his crew were a bunch of very likeable people doing their best, but the magic and pizzazz of The Footy Show’s heyday was sorely lacking.

24fddf8e1da46a16faec9fa3bbc93539

1614ddec22c4b35b598286890a6270cd

Classic moment on The Footy Show
I’ve had a fair go over the years at the old show’s stars like Newman and McGuire, but I am still sorry to see the back of a show that was a ratings powerhouse for years and much-loved by many.

Tuning into The Footy Show on a Thursday night was part of the winter ritual for many families, who laughed together over Sam Newman’s Street Talk or Mailbag segment.

But this was before digital TV and Netflix and social media — gone are the days when whole families sit together to watch the same show.

Changing times also meant old ways just weren’t funny anymore.

The network allowed Newman and his cronies to continue peddling their sexist, racist, homophobic slapstick, for way too long.

Remember Newman’s blackface segment in 1999 lampooning Aboriginal player Nicky Winmar?

The time he put a journalist Caroline Wilson’s head on a mannequin dressed in lingerie?

The comments he made about transgender trailblazer Caitlin Jenner?

Such antics led viewers to desert the show in droves and stopped new fans from tuning in.

Ultimately, the new version of the show couldn’t escape its past — both the good times and bad.

There were too many memories of past glory to live up to, too much bad blood and too many bad headlines.

RIP Footy Show, your time was up.
Yeah Susie is a two faced human. Not surprised she has written this, she even apologised a little, how gracious of her. Didn’t watch much footy show as it coincided with Thursday footy training and beers after. From what I watched it was usually harmless fun. Susie won’t go after the front bar as she is a channel seven social commentator.

i reckon they could do 1 more Grand Final edition of The Footy Show and sellout Rod Laver Arena. Bring back Trevor Marmalade and the old crew. Maybe some of the original panel members, original segments. Would be a nice hat tip to the success the shows had over 25 years.

There were a few death blows but imo the insertion of Rebecca Maddern and then ensuring everything was scripted around her to ensure she could add faux wit to be met with faux laughs and “onya Bec” was the final straw.

Fairness in equality (gender, race, faith, you name it) is important. It should also be considered reasonable for a television show to be very clear who it’s target audience is and not have to be bent to target what it’s not. That’s not to say it had to be a show full of bigotry and marginalised people (although I note it seems to be only “bloke” type forums which cop the wrath of the PC brigade. I don’t see the same venom over other clearly female targeted shows).

There’s a big difference between “tone it down lads we aren’t doing that crap anymore” and “this person must be not only on your show but central to everything on it”.

One only has to watch Tonight with Alan Partridge (regardless of if it’s your cup of tea) to see that there’s still a place for comedy which can be crass and foolish yet generally non offensive.

The Front Bar has the right formula. Let’s hope the do-whatisay-gooders don’t try to crush that, too, because it has pretty much all blokes in a bar talking sport and having a laugh.

They churned out 25 years of Hey Hey level humor, that's amazing effort IMO. Once the release of Thurs teams became redundant along with the rise of social media, no real reason to watch it when there's a lot more (and superior) football content out there from when it first started.

The wider audience have slowly realized that this show is garbage. Nothing to do whether it's PC or not.

Susie has lost all her material.

Colin Vickery's lost all of his material too.

Rita Panahi, on the other hand, has gained a shitload.

I got no idea if I watched the first episode or not. It came without much fan fare and leaving without much too.

I recall Eddie saying in an interview a few years back where he said that the first ad break during the first episode included a lengthy ad for Showgirls Bar 20 (which says something about what people were predicting at the time)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back