Play Nice Richmond, set to become the biggest club in Australia, now with 100K members

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ignoring the fact that removing the highest attended Home and Away game of the year doesn't 100% make sense, i'll humor the assertion because I'm a nice guy.

If we assume ANZAC Day was a regular Collingwood vs. Essendon game and take the 91,440 attendance and change it to 69,868 (attendance that year for Coll vs. Ess regular home and away) the difference is -2% to Collingwood total yearly attendance. Collingwood's advantage over Richmond is much greater than 2% as an overview of those stats (around 12% higher for the decade).

If we are applying that logic, however, we need to apply the same logic to Richmond. Let's get rid of ANZAC eve and make it a normal game. Unfortunately, Richmond only plays Melbourne once, so we will use the next closest example, Hawthorn (37,249 avg. for Melbourne in 2018, 36,122 for Hawthorn). So then we change the 88,180 of ANZAC Eve to 70,701 vs. Hawthorn, and we get a % difference for the year of -1.3%.

Hope that helps.

Thanks mate,

Issue is that Anzac day eve has just started and it is not a public holiday where the whole country has a day off and most of the public have nothing to do in the afternoon other than watch the only thing that is going on which is a game of football . And furthermore there is only ever one game of football on in that day since the nineties and that is Collingwood v Essendon. For relative comparisons this game needs to be removed from all analysis as it skews numbers widely.

In any case even if you do include this monopoly public holiday game, three out of the last 4 years Richmond still had the biggest crowds in the AFL, An amazing effort by the Richmond faithful which reinforces the fact that Richmond is the biggest club in the AFL by far.

Even so this is a membership thread and at this stage of the year, even though Collingwood are coming off a grand final, Richmond has 20,000 more members.

Thanks for your input though appreciate it

The fact Richmond has contended for a flag only once in the past 35 years completely rules a line through them being considered anywhere near the biggest clubs in the country, who are undisputedly West Coast and Collingwood, with a gap to Adelaide in third place.

Call me old fashioned, but I regard on field performance as an important metric when determining how 'big' a club is....

The fact Richmond has contended for a flag only once in the past 35 years completely rules a line through them being considered anywhere near the biggest clubs in the country, who are undisputedly West Coast and Collingwood, with a gap to Adelaide in third place.

Call me old fashioned, but I regard on field performance as an important metric when determining how 'big' a club is....
You’ve won two flags in 61 years lol

Funny how you were quoting one win from our past 7 against you not that long ago...

Hmmmm, actually i think it was you. But hey, like ol' Frank the tank here, don't let truth get in the way of a good story.

What’s funny is that these trolls can’t even troll properly . Instead of focusing on crowds pre color tv let’s look at recent history

in crowds richmond is still clear number one .

Year Richmond Collingwood
2015. 1054354. 1054014
2017. 1024660. 1003991
2018. 1194893. 1112580

Richmond is the biggest football club in Australia . And this is because it’s fans care about it more than any other fans care about their footy clubs . That is why richmond has the most members and the biggest crowds .

Credit should go to us the fans and members

Or because they charge less? WC's members bring more revenue in than Richmonds. Thus. Bigger. Companies aren't measured as biggest because they have more employees. It's all about that cash flow.

Huh?

I was quoting that Collingwood had won 1 game from the previous 7 encounters against Richmond prior to the Preliminary Final?

Likely story bro...

Well that would of been the point of the narrative then. 3 wins from the last nine and 2 flags in 60 years. That's been 2 very consistent points i have made all along. What's your point?

Or because they charge less? WC's members bring more revenue in than Richmonds. Thus. Bigger. Companies aren't measured as biggest because they have more employees. It's all about that cash flow.

its about buying active customers, which are members, which for Richmond is 100,000 strong

Head over to Hawthorn and give them the big news .

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It' just sad these Richmond 'members' can't turn up to games. Collingwood own every significant crowd record. The membership to crowd ratio is disgusting at Tiger land. Such a lack of support for their team. They just want the status of being a member but are not there when it counts.

There is an awful lot of one-eyed stuff going on here.

If the positions of Collingwood and Richmond were reversed on Memberships, Collingwood supporters would be arguing that memberships are the only real way of showing support.

Instead each Collingwood poster proposes a different alternative that is the only thing that 'REALLY' counts. Premierships, facebook likes, crowd size. You can't all be right.

In fairness, were the positions reversed, Richmond supporters would be posting exactly the same waffle :)

Richmond have been a laughing stock for 95% of my life.

It's funny, my old man has seen the Tigers win 7 or 8 flags. He respects Hawks, Bombers, Blues, North, Geelong as they have all won more flags than the pies in his lifetime. He ******* laughs his arse off at Collingwood for the chicken littles they are. IT's all about perspective i guess. I have seen as many Richmond flags in my lifetime as you have yours. And right now, we're a bigger club. What a time to be alive hey?

It' just sad these Richmond 'members' can't turn up to games. Collingwood own every significant crowd record. The membership to crowd ratio is disgusting at Tiger land. Such a lack of support for their team. They just want the status of being a member but are not there when it counts.

It's just so sad that Collingwood only has supporters in Melbourne. If they were a truly national team, they'd understand what it's like to have country supporters, interstate supporters and international supporters. There's a thing called the internet, i would imagine during your free time "in stir" you would get access to computers?

There is an awful lot of one-eyed stuff going on here.

If the positions of Collingwood and Richmond were reversed on Memberships, Collingwood supporters would be arguing that memberships are the only real way of showing support.

Instead each Collingwood poster proposes a different alternative that is the only thing that 'REALLY' counts. Premierships, facebook likes, crowd size. You can't all be right.

In fairness, were the positions reversed, Richmond supporters would be posting exactly the same waffle :)

its not waffle.

If 100,000 people are willing to put their hands in their pockets and become financial contributors to a club it is a huge thing. If that number is 20% more than the next biggest club its another massive thing. Couple that with the fact that even though the draw is rigged and skewed towards maximising the pie crowd number monopolising public holidays , in 3/4 last years richmond draws the biggest crowd its just more evidence that Richmond is the biggest sporting club in Australia.

and don't even get me started on the magpie MCG deal, which another thing that makes the magpie number looks better than it is.

Even so Richmond still win on crowds and memberships

We’ve had enough with time wasted cleaning this thread from trolling comments. Recall that this week you were all reminded of the site’s rules which posters are required to agree to in order to partake in discussion.

Keep it up and you’ll find out the hard way.

West Coast fans are bragging about being stung more money for memberships lol.

Richmond has the most members, but to say they are the biggest club is to miss the point, mostly due to a poorly worded thread title.

If a club gives out memberships for $1 and gets 50,000 members and another club gives out their memberships for a $2 and has 25,000 members. Neither club is bigger than the other. WC supporters are simply stating that they bring in more revenues from their members. Memberships sold isn't the sole metric by which a club's size is judged. As stated before, the biggest companies in the world don't have the most employees.

I mean congrats to Richmond for having the most members, but don't be pushing the rhetoric that your now the biggest club in Australia based purely on one metric. It's laughable. WC and Pies fans have every right to raise an eyebrow. WC's profits per year is in another stratosphere compared to Richmond and the most out of any sporting team in any sporting code in the country.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back