Changes Round 8 v Saints

Remove this Banner Ad

How am I living in a dreamland haha. I asked a reasonable question as to why he didn't train, why he wasn't replace by another wingman and if he is an 'emergency', why didn't he travel?

Obviously Masten hits a nerve for you. For whatever reason.

I think Masten isn’t injured but possibly just sore and is being managed as a older player it’s taking longer to recover from each game..

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I think Masten isn’t injured but possibly just sore and is being managed as a older player it’s taking longer to recover from each game..
There's a legit question to be asked here about what the message is with dropping Masten now, given there's no WAFL on this week.

Does he walk back into the side next week having not played in the twos? If he does then he clearly wasn't dropped for lack of output, and like you say, would have to be filed under player management.

There's a few different things it could be and barring an explanation from Simmo we probably won't know more until teams are announced next week.

The team sheet says Chris Masten (omitted). It doesn’t say rested or soreness or any specific injury. Other than the tweet from Travis King that Masten was walking laps at Monday training there’s no suggestion that there’s any injury involved in his omission.

He was dropped

I think it’s a somewhat belated acknowledgment from the match committee that our midfield mix hasn’t been working and they’ve removed the poorest performer from that group

We’ve brought in our best performing forward to redress a structural issue that has been discussed on this board regularly in recent weeks

Mallen can consider himself unlucky but he’s not better than any of the remaining mids and he’s not been playing as a forward so Waterman was preferred

The team sheet says Chris Masten (omitted). It doesn’t say rested or soreness or any specific injury. Other than the tweet from Travis King that Masten was walking laps at Monday training there’s no suggestion that there’s any injury involved in his omission.

He was dropped

I think it’s a somewhat belated acknowledgment from the match committee that our midfield mix hasn’t been working and they’ve removed the poorest performer from that group

We’ve brought in our best performing forward to redress a structural issue that has been discussed on this board regularly in recent weeks

Mallen can consider himself unlucky but he’s not better than any of the remaining mids and he’s not been playing as a forward so Waterman was preferred

There was a Wce Twitter video with Masto and the other sore boys ;ok I made that up but those boys are just chilling..

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

This site is so inclusive - a role model for the NRL perhaps.
One camp is sack Masten - the other we are to tall.
Now Waterman makes us to tall. He is listed as 1.91. This compares to average mids such as danger 1.87, Dusty1.98, Part Cripps 1.95 and Fyfe 1.9.
Our mids a too small to contest - Saints will be hell bent on winning the contested possession - to allow them to use pace outside. We obviously need grunt and run.
Masten is a worthy team member (I am not a fn) but he lacks grunt and power in his running (keeps going well but not explosive to attack or defend)

Waterman looks a useful option to be tried.
Dusty 1.98

Get him into the ruck FFS

He was dropped

I just now listened to a short interview with Simmo from yesterday where he leaves no doubt that Masto was dropped for performance.

So that being the case it will be very disappointing if he is back next week having played no WAFL. Not that I'm saying it will happen but it also wouldn't surprise.

He was dropped

As Simmo said, "he (Masten) know's where he's at and he has a few things to work on". That seems to indicate he has been dropped for form reasons. I think Waterman would have been selected last week bar his hamstring injury as he has been in too good form to be left out.

There's a legit question to be asked here about what the message is with dropping Masten now, given there's no WAFL on this week.

Does he walk back into the side next week having not played in the twos? If he does then he clearly wasn't dropped for lack of output, and like you say, would have to be filed under player management.

There's a few different things it could be and barring an explanation from Simmo we probably won't know more until teams are announced next week.
Hope not, I am a fan of Masten forever but the guy has no consistency and too soft can't kick under pressure and no tackle but if do his role as target off ruck work or half back is gun the best runner in the side. Also, the worse turn over. Should be pick when in form only.

Is it worth trying Duggan in the “Masten role” and bring Rotham in to play down back? Runs the same distances, attacks the ball like a madman and would have a good two way running sense after playing in defence for so long..

Possibly what they’re going for with the Waterman inclusion.. Allen and Duggan both starting on the bench so possibly Allen down back and Duggan further up?

Is it worth trying Duggan in the “Masten role” and bring Rotham in to play down back? Runs the same distances, attacks the ball like a madman and would have a good two way running sense after playing in defence for so long..

Possibly what they’re going for with the Waterman inclusion.. Allen and Duggan both starting on the bench so possibly Allen down back and Duggan further up?

Long term it could be an option if we wanted to bring in Rotham full time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He was dropped

I agree, Mallen cant replace any of the 6 mids at this stage.Unlucky, but that's a premiership midfield buddy :) anyone of them injured or suspended, then he should be considered.

Duggan is more likely to put his head over the ball but is a worse kick than Masto, ball in hand he can be in the look away now category.

Duggan is more likely to put his head over the ball but is a worse kick than Masto, ball in hand he can be in the look away now category.

A worse kick than Masten?! Got to be pretty bad then. Audible groan around the stadium when Masten gets the ball. Even odds it will got out of bounds on the full, to the opposition, on a team mates head with 5 opposition players around them, or sometimes if we are really lucky to one his team mates.

He has hit some bullets this year. Not quite at his level before the 2019 injury but he started the year looking in very good touch. I'm sure he'll return to it.

A worse kick than Masten?! Got to be pretty bad then. Audible groan around the stadium when Masten gets the ball. Even odds it will got out of bounds on the full, to the opposition, on a team mates head with 5 opposition players around them, or sometimes if we are really lucky to one his team mates.

I mean that’s absolutely demonstrably false but if random pot shots at our players makes you feel better then fire away.

Also I wouldn’t be too quick to submit general vibes around the stadium as proof of anything - took about 5 years before most people realised Scott Selwood wasn’t Michael Braun, or that Masto wasn’t Chad Fletcher. The place is packed with plenty of “kick it long, oh who was that to” types.

Takes all kinds, sure, but there’s some serious idiots that happen to have access to tickets, doesn’t mean anything.

Long term it could be an option if we wanted to bring in Rotham full time.
I like this line - I mentioned it late last year as a way for Duggan to become a midfielder. I see Dugs more as an outside mid and was surprised how many KM he clocks up. The other part to the equation was a suitable replacement for Dugs and I liked what I saw with Rotham.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back