Opinion The 'Carlton related stuff that doesn't need it's own thread' thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
''The 22 Swans who lost in round seven to Brisbane Lions combined to form the youngest team in the AFL on that weekend.''

https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-05-08/the-problem-with-sydney-john-longmire-talks-to-damian-barrett

Sydney (round 7): 24 years, 8 months
Carlton (round 7): 23 years, 9 months

You're full of **** Barrett.

We had 14 players with 50 or less games last week. Sydney had 8 players with 50 or less games.
Certainly won't like this post as reading that last bit 14 with less than 50 almost makes me feel sick!
I sincerely hope we never go into a game like that again .

''The 22 Swans who lost in round seven to Brisbane Lions combined to form the youngest team in the AFL on that weekend.''

https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-05-08/the-problem-with-sydney-john-longmire-talks-to-damian-barrett

Sydney (round 7): 24 years, 8 months
Carlton (round 7): 23 years, 9 months

You're full of **** Barrett.

We had 14 players with 50 or less games last week. Sydney had 8 players with 50 or less games.

This

Just another example of how young we are

Certainly won't like this post as reading that last bit 14 with less than 50 almost makes me feel sick!
We won’t as SPS plays his 50th this weekend so we should only have 12 from here.

14 - SPS - Phillips - O’Brien (but + setterfield) = 12 players under 50 games this week. McGovern jones no change i believe.

Last edited:
For anyone who still gives a toss, I see they finally gave The Footy Show the @rse.
There's a program which aired about 15 years longer than it should have. I haven't bothered tuning in for many years, myself.
I feel for this year's new lineup of hosts, which included Fev, and who had to go down with the doomed ship.
It was good viewing when it first started but it became too much about S Newman just being an idiot with his stupid opinions and actions. Rugby league footy show on the other hand is still going strong. They do a good job of it.

For anyone who still gives a toss, I see they finally gave The Footy Show the @rse.
There's a program which aired about 15 years longer than it should have. I haven't bothered tuning in for many years, myself.
I feel for this year's new lineup of hosts, which included Fev, and who had to go down with the doomed ship.
Stopped watching it altogether when Trevor Marmalade left, only watched it occasionally in the few years before that as it lost the plot not long after starting. Not sure how every guest could be “the best in the business” even when the previous one did exactly the same job. Far too OTT for me

His "lens" of choice is often like those fun-park crazy mirrors. Completely warping and distorting reality.
...and he's become far too concerned with narrow issues away from the football field.

We'll still have 12 players with 50 or less games this week.

14 last week. This week - Out: LOB, Jones and Phillips (-2). In: Kruezer, Setters, McGovern (+1). Last week, Curnow was on 50 games. Saturday is his 51'st (-1).

In the 0-50 games bracket (12 players):

Name

Games (including Saturday)

Petrevski-Seton, Sam

21yr 2mth

Silvagni, Jack

21yr 4mth

Fisher, Zac

20yr 10mth

Marchbank, Caleb

22yr 5mth

Dow, Paddy

19yr 6mth

McKay, Harry

21yr 4mth

Cuningham, David

22yr 1mth

Williamson, Tom

20yr 4mth

Gibbons, Michael

23yr 11mth

Walsh, Sam

18yr 10mth

Setterfield, Will

21yr 3mth

Stocker, Liam

19yr, 3 mnth

In the 51-100 games bracket (5 players):

Name

Games

Cripps, Patrick

24yr 1mth

Plowman, Lachlan

24yr 7mth

Weitering, Jacob

21yr 5mth

McGovern, Mitch

24yr 6mth

Curnow, Charlie

22yr 3mth

For senior players (in the 101+ games bracket) there are 5: Murphy (257 games, 31yr 9mth) Thomas (246 games, 31yr 10mth), Kreuzer, (176 games, 29yr 11mth), Curnow, Ed (151 games, 29yr 6mth) and Casboult (110 games, 29yr 1mth).

When you look over our senior players (100+ gamers) you dont see much of note there other than Kruezer (and he's injured as often as not).

That's what's killing us at the moment. We're insanely young, and have no real mass of senior talent to speak of to play those kids around.

Things will turn around in 2021 (add +35-50 games to the above list, and we're starting to hit our prime) but dont expect too much before then.

Last edited:
We'll still have 12 players with 50 or less games this week.

14 last week. This week - Out: LOB, Jones and Phillips (-2). In: Kruezer, Setters, McGovern (+1). Last week, Curnow was on 50 games. Saturday is his 51'st (-1).

In the 0-50 games bracket (12 players):

Petrevski-Seton, Sam 50 21yr 2mth
Silvagni, Jack 47 21yr 4mth
Fisher, Zac 42 20yr 10mth
Marchbank, Caleb 41 22yr 5mth
Dow, Paddy 28 19yr 6mth
McKay, Harry 23 21yr 4mth
Cuningham, David 20 22yr 1mth
Williamson, Tom 17 20yr 4mth
Gibbons, Michael 8 23yr 11mth
Walsh, Sam 8 18yr 10mth
Setterfield, Will 7 21yr 3mth
Stocker, Liam 2 18yr, 3 mnth

In the 51-100 games bracket (5 players):

Cripps, Patrick 89 24yr 1mth
Plowman, Lachlan 81 24yr 7mth
Weitering, Jacob 64 21yr 5mth
McGovern, Mitch 55 24yr 6mth
Curnow, Charlie 51 22yr 3mth

In the 101+ games bracket (5 players):

Murphy, Marc 257 31yr 9mth
Thomas, Dale 246 31yr 10mth
Kreuzer, Matthew 176 29yr 11mth
Curnow, Edward 151 29yr 6mth
Casboult, Levi 110 29yr 1mth

When you look over our senior players (100+ gamers) you dont see much of note there other than Kruezer (and he's injured as often as not).

That's what's killing us at the moment. We're insanely young, and have no real mass of senior talent to speak of to play those kids around.

Things will turn around in 2021 (add +35-50 games to the above list, and we're starting to hit our prime) but dont expect too much before then.
What's scary about this is that next season we could feasibly have as little as 3 100+ gamers on the list.

Our 100+ gamers

Murphy - could easily pull the plug
Simpson - no idea, easily could retire
Daisy - think he's likely to play another, who knows
Ed Curnow - will play on
Liam Jones - will play on
Matty Kreuzer - will play on but his body may not allow it if he cops another blow (touch wood)
Casboult - delisted
Fasolo - odds on to be delisted. Still hopeful though.

If we're inexperienced now...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What's scary about this is that next season we could feasibly have as little as 3 100+ gamers on the list.

Our 100+ gamers

Ed Curnow - will play on
Matty Kreuzer - will play on but his body may not allow it if he cops another blow (touch wood)
Casboult - delisted

2021 is the year we rise. The above list of 0-100 gamers will have another 35 games into them, plus we will have had 2 draft and trade periods to get in 2-3 x elite FA and trades to replace Murphy, Simpson and Kruezer.

We just need to be patient. You dont go around dominating games with a dozen or more kids.

Our 100+ gamers

Ed Curnow - will play on
Casboult - delisted

Simpson
Daisey
Ed
Jones
Kruz
Cripps
Plowman

Possibles

Murphy
New recruit

Not that bad considering the list of 50-100 grows significantly

No, I meant high risk. The trade picks are not the issue, the opportunity cost is.

Waiting 2-3 years to find out what was advertised is what we would get has meant we've failed to address our small forward stocks, and our results on field are being impacted because of it.
Opportunity cost refers to what is missed out on by the choice you have made; so, make the case that what we have missed out on, given what we have paid for it (barely anything) is less expensive/more valuable than both or either of those players.

You cannot just use the time spent to see if both players are capable as the opportunity cost, when anyone selected in those list spaces would take similar time and the list spot needs to be filled anyway.

is it a regular thing, games between carlton and collingwood not being shown fta? is this a thing now?
Horse s**t is what it is.

AFL 'punishing' clubs for not being good, and 'rewarding' clubs by giving them FTA coverage. Nevermind that this runs directly contrary to the reason why the commission was formed in the first place; to provide a future for the struggling clubs, and to ensure fair access to the clubs and the games for the fans...

Neroli Meadows is the one I feel for. She has been so good on Fox Footy & Fox Sports. She is too good a talent to have been wasted on The Footy Show.

nrl do bloke even better/worse than afl if that's possible.....
"Bloke" makes up a significant component of those who follow the game. The NRL Footy Show only needs to keep things simple to maintain their loyal following.

Neroli Meadows is the one I feel for. She has been so good on Fox Footy & Fox Sports. She is too good a talent to have been wasted on The Footy Show.
Agreed

is it a regular thing, games between carlton and collingwood not being shown fta? is this a thing now?

It's because it's a day game and day games are never fta any more, unless it's a final.
We've been very naughty by playing poorly and getting flogged on "prime" evening slots, so we're not allowed to play Friday and Saturday night games any more. :(

It's because it's a day game and day games are never fta any more, unless it's a final.
We've been very naughty by playing poorly and getting flogged on "prime" evening slots, so we're not allowed to play Friday and Saturday night games any more. :(

Not true.

Ferals v Hawks live next Sunday afternoon on 7.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back