List Mgmt. Trade & F/A - 2018/2019 - Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

jackcass

Cancelled
10k Posts Magpie Service Medal Collingwood - Josh Daicos Player Sponsor 2021 Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
5 clubs are reportedly chasing him so the industry disagrees with you, and anyone that has seen him play knows the labels you are desperately throwing at him in the hope one sticks is complete garbage.

Read my updated edit response.

And for the record, the rumour does encapsulate the other clubs so it remains no less devoid of any basis in fact.

No invention required.

Last edited:

Thatsmyname

Plausible deniability
Apr 16, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
No 3peat (Ninth)mond Minnows
Read my updated edit response.

And for the record, the rumour does encapsulate the other clubs so it remains no less devoid of any basis in fact.

No invention required.
So after the garbage stats and tags that's all you've really got left, retreat to the rumour. LOL.

Last edited:

jackcass

Cancelled
10k Posts Magpie Service Medal Collingwood - Josh Daicos Player Sponsor 2021 Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
So after the garbage stats and tags that's all you got left. LOL.

I've made my case. You've offered nothing to counter any of it other than throw a couple of other names into the discussion and call everything garbage so as I say, I'll leave it there, it's all becoming rather inane.

Thatsmyname

Plausible deniability
Apr 16, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
I've made my case. You've offered nothing to counter any of it other than throw a couple of other names into the discussion and call everything garbage so as I say, I'll leave it there, it's all becoming rather inane.
Your case got watered down to no one is chasing him (which is delusional) and you can stop acting like the victim, you went hard, I went hard and your 'facts' and 'stats' didn't stand up, they were garbage. :)

Last edited:

jackcass

Cancelled
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood

Thatsmyname

Plausible deniability
Apr 16, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Of course.

Aww I thought you were going to launch into the song. :D

1557461373279.png

Mark W

All Australian
Sep 16, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Any team that offers Sier anything close to $600k at this point is batshit crazy. Yeah, the kids got elite potential, but that’s all it is at this point, and there’s no guarantee he’ll put it all together. If he manages to get it together for the second half of the year and break back in to the senior team then he’ll certainly be in line for a healthy pay increase, but those kinds of numbers are just lunacy at this stage, and any team offering him that would be completely irresponsible with their list management strategy.

I quite agree with your post. Batshit Crazy and lunacy might be true, but history suggests that it doesn't mean it isn't going to happen! Clubs DO go batshit crazy at trade time.

A reported $700K for Daisy with a stuffed ankle (and in the process not having enough Laurie Nash to keep Eddie Betts). $500K for 4 years for a handy, honest but hardly stellar Chris Mayne, coming off 2 pretty crap seasons. A 3 year $1.8 million dollar contract for an injured, 31 year old Daniel Wells. A 9 year $10* million dollar contract for Buddy which expires when he is 35. $700K over 5 years for a good but hardly great Jared Polec...I am sure there are other examples

Yeah, I know, all have a lot more experience than Sier, but come draft time, clubs act like sharks when there is blood in the water, and Sier's performances in September are going to be awfully seductive. In short a club that reckons it's in the window, and just one gun inside mid short, well stranger things have happened

*All numbers taken from the papers, so they must be true....

May 25, 2006
Beach
AFL Club
Collingwood
I quite agree with your post. Batshit Crazy and lunacy might be true, but history suggests that it doesn't mean it isn't going to happen! Clubs DO go batshit crazy at trade time.

A reported $700K for Daisy with a stuffed ankle (and in the process not having enough Laurie Nash to keep Eddie Betts). $500K for 4 years for a handy, honest but hardly stellar Chris Mayne, coming off 2 pretty crap seasons. A 3 year $1.8 million dollar contract for an injured, 31 year old Daniel Wells. A 9 year $10* million dollar contract for Buddy which expires when he is 35. $700K over 5 years for a good but hardly great Jared Polec...I am sure there are other examples

Yeah, I know, all have a lot more experience than Sier, but come draft time, clubs act like sharks when there is blood in the water, and Sier's performances in September are going to be awfully seductive. In short a club that reckons it's in the window, and just one gun inside mid short, well stranger things have happened

*All numbers taken from the papers, so they must be true....

Only the Buddy deal was truly batshit crazy and the Swans have been paying the price ever since. Backloaded..... so it’s getting worse and worse for them!

On Sier, way too early to speculate on our list but he certainly isn’t worth 600k. If another club thinks he is, then they will also think he’s worth giving up a good pick.

Only the Buddy deal was truly batshit crazy and the Swans have been paying the price ever since. Backloaded..... so it’s getting worse and worse for them!

On Sier, way too early to speculate on our list but he certainly isn’t worth 600k. If another club thinks he is, then they will also think he’s worth giving up a good pick.
Buddy is other level awesome and I reckon he's exceeded price so far - but the length of the deal may be a problem in the end.

I would have said Mayne was the really crazy deal. It hasn't worked out too bad, because he has worked his butt off and re-invented himself, but we signed him up for 4 years on good money becasue we wanted hi to play a position that he'd sucked in for the previous 2 years.

The Richmond Lynch deal is the one that I think tops craziness, outside of the sheer lunacy with Tom Boyd.

May 25, 2006
Beach
AFL Club
Collingwood
Buddy is other level awesome and I reckon he's exceeded price so far - but the length of the deal may be a problem in the end.

I would have said Mayne was the really crazy deal. It hasn't worked out too bad, because he has worked his butt off and re-invented himself, but we signed him up for 4 years on good money becasue we wanted hi to play a position that he'd sucked in for the previous 2 years.

The Richmond Lynch deal is the one that I think tops craziness, outside of the sheer lunacy with Tom Boyd.

The length of the Buddy deal and size is an unmitigated disaster, notwithstanding how well he played for the first few years of that contract.

Tom Boyd at least has a put a premiership trophy in the Dogs empty cabinet!

The length of the Buddy deal and size is an unmitigated disaster, notwithstanding how well he played for the first few years of that contract.

I love watching Buddy play, so I'm a bit delusional and unable to imagine him not still being a star when that contract ends.

jackcass

Cancelled
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood

Buddy has been arguably the best forward in the game over an extended period so the $1M a year was never really the issue, he'd have gotten that just about anywhere. The issue was always the duration. I'd say the Polec $700k for 5 years is more batshoit crazy.

May 25, 2006
Beach
AFL Club
Collingwood
Buddy has been arguably the best forward in the game over an extended period so the $1M a year was never really the issue, he'd have gotten that just about anywhere. The issue was always the duration. I'd say the Polec $700k for 5 years is more batshoit crazy.

Will have to agree to disagree on that. Nine years for Buddy or anybody on that kind of money, backloaded to boot, is a far greater disaster.

He’s already not a star!

I can't believe how quickly people want to put a line through his name. Since 2006, he's failed only once -(2015, when he had mental health issues) to be one the top 5 goal kickers in the league. Last year he was 4th, but actually kicked more goals per game than the guys above him. He's played 5 games this year and he's being written off? Way too soon to say that Buddy is no longer a star.

Bussie

All Australian
Sep 27, 2009
AFL Club
Collingwood
We need to remember that we do have a great midfield, but age will catch up with Pendles, Beams, Greenwood and clearly, Wells. Sier will come good, he is still pretty young, 22 in December this year. We will still have a great midfield even when the blokes listed above retire, providing we can keep Phillips, Adams and Sier.
I believe our forward line is our biggest downfall, Cox is pretty awesome but he's no Buddy. We need a big hulking forward that can hold a mark and kick straight.
I can see a few retirements this year,
Reid, Varcoe, Goldsack and Wells. This may free up some list spots without having to delist, although I reckon sadly, Crocker may be concerned, also until we know for sure, the whole Murray issues will need to be sorted.

We need to remember that we do have a great midfield, but age will catch up with Pendles, Beams, Greenwood and clearly, Wells. Sier will come good, he is still pretty young, 22 in December this year. We will still have a great midfield even when the blokes listed above retire, providing we can keep Phillips, Adams and Sier.
I believe our forward line is our biggest downfall, Cox is pretty awesome but he's no Buddy. We need a big hulking forward that can hold a mark and kick straight.
I can see a few retirements this year,
Reid, Varcoe, Goldsack and Wells. This may free up some list spots without having to delist, although I reckon sadly, Crocker may be concerned, also until we know for sure, the whole Murray issues will need to be sorted.

My take is it all comes down to Stevo and Degoey and their projected future. If they stay forwards, our forward line is set for a good while and we need mids. But if they become mids, our mids are set and we need forwards.

The first few years? He’s only kicked less than 50 for one year of his time at Sydney, and that was in his earlier years there when he got injured and not played 17 games. Even last year he kicked 57 on one leg. He’s still a superstar, and Sydney have done very well out of him to this point. The batshit crazy part of his contract though was back ending it when there was every chance his body would pack it in during the final years, which is what we’re seeing start to happen now. He’ll still kick about 3 a game when he gets on the park this year though regardless.

May 25, 2006
Beach
AFL Club
Collingwood
The first few years? He’s only kicked less than 50 for one year of his time at Sydney, and that was in his earlier years there when he got injured and not played 17 games. Even last year he kicked 57 on one leg. He’s still a superstar, and Sydney have done very well out of him to this point. The batshit crazy part of his contract though was back ending it when there was every chance his body would pack it in during the final years, which is what we’re seeing start to happen now. He’ll still kick about 3 a game when he gets on the park this year though regardless.

Clearly I’ve been ungracious about what he has achieved at the swans. But my main point about the craziness of the deal was the length and back-endedness of it, which I agree with you 100 percent.

Time will tell what output he is capable over the next three and a half years whilst earning approximately 1.5 to 1.8 mil a year .

Bussie

All Australian
Sep 27, 2009
AFL Club
Collingwood
My take is it all comes down to Stevo and Degoey and their projected future. If they stay forwards, our forward line is set for a good while and we need mids. But if they become mids, our mids are set and we need forwards.
Good point, I like it. I do like De Goey Forward but feel he may be best used as a mid/FWD. Stepho for me is the perfect fwd pocket, even though he is tallish, he reads the ball of the pack so well. The ability to have options like the above is quite a conundrum, on one hand it's great, on another it can make it a little confusing,

Good point, I like it. I do like De Goey Forward but feel he may be best used as a mid/FWD. Stepho for me is the perfect fwd pocket, even though he is tallish, he reads the ball of the pack so well. The ability to have options like the above is quite a conundrum, on one hand it's great, on another it can make it a little confusing,
I reckon you're underselling what Stevo will become. I think he'll be as good if not a better forward than JDG. Not the power, but he'll be better in the air than JDG.

Robbo and Jon Anderson just said on the SuperFooty podcast that they've heard separately that Shiel is regretting his decision to choose Essendon.

Still better then going at Carlton;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back