Preview Round 8, 2019: Hawthorn v GWS Giants, 12 May 2019, 3.20pm @ MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought clarko might play ceglar and Lewis but I can't see that happening with this forecast. It Could be a masterstroke decision it will be wet ugly and low scoring.
Interchange guess Howe,Scrimshaw,Cousins,Glass
I think Smith might be rested.
I doubt 1mm will require the flippers?

1557464292202.png

Feel for Clarko too in all this.

It couldn't be easy for Clarko calling it. Yeah yeah footy and stuff but Clarko recruited him, moulded him into a superstar, put 4 medals round his neck, watched him beat the achilles, the cancer - probably a more special bond than that which exists between a majority of players and coaches. Tough decision for him.

Would never question Clarko, it's just a s**t thing to see Rough dropped. Four time premiership star, Coleman medallist, captain, the Hannebery hit, Guthrie hit - Hawk legend. Right or wrong, even if it improves us, watching us without him running around will be crap. Love the Rough.

Reckon the ones will knock GWS off. Hopefully Rough kicks a bag in the ressies and is back in the team on form and he gets one more crack at glory later in the year. He deserves it.

It's a cold world.

Clarkos presser was more harsh than anything a poster has said about the Ruff nut... people call out posters for criticising players but what these boys would hear from clarko would far outweigh anything said here. The thing I love about Clarko is his transparency, honesty and attitude to make decisions that he believes is for the betterment of the club.

I am sure Ruff will accept his position and go out and lead and be a mentor to the lads in the 2s, I also think if Issie goes back then he will have to have that same attitude otherwise he'll know his papers would be stamped.

A little supplementary statement perhaps? That definitely made me think so.

I don't think Cousins will come in however, I'm thinking that the club might try something new with Glass - has been a force in the twos in the midfield. Uses his body well.
Am i missing something with the love for Glass? I thought he was ordinary the last time he played in an AFL match.

That, i certainly agree with.

But then, were we expecting to?

i think the current doom and gloom is being overshot.

Currently 13th and:
- 0.6% from being 11th.
- 4 points away from being top 8

Those stats on face value seem OK, but it clearly doesn't tell the story. An arsey win against two bottom four teams in Carlton and North, and a round one win against a woefully unprepared team in Adelaide. Throw in the bad losses to Melbourne (bottom of the ladder), St Kilda and WBD and you'll see why those stats aren't worth much.

If you can say that after we play GWS, Brisbane, Port and Richmond then it would be worth considering.

Aah yes the unprepared Adelaide. Its more likely our pressure and tackling put them under pressure. A carlton team where they were kicking goals from their asses and hadnt done that before or after we win and u give us no credit for fighting back and overcoming opposition teams. We r not world beaters but we r still fighting last week was a skills debacle

If Smith is out then make no mistake Clarko is going full savage mode, you can shine it up all you like by saying "he needs a rest", facts are we have been playing him and he has been fit enough to run out there... Clarko will be sitting him because of his performance and the fact we need to look forward, every possible chance Calrko is thinking of a future without Izzie and to me I would be ok with it.

Clarkos legend grows, this bloke is a deadset 1 in a million leader, bloody love him.

I think everyone forgets that Clarko managed out alot of the Hawks 'sweethearts' (whose time was clearly up) within his first 2 years at the club... Dutchy, Thompson, Hay, Barker, Lekkas, Graham, Tallis... is it a coincidence that they were all gone within Clarko's first 2 years?...

Either through encouraged retirements or trades, he built the nucleus of the 2008 premiership team right then.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hope that Cegs can start clunking a couple of marks and impacting in the air like we need him to.

Scrimshaw and Frawley will improve our defence greatly and Cousins will improve the midfield.

This is the sort of game that GWS has dropped in the past. They are ordinary at the G so we are not without a chance if our execution improves.

I think everyone forgets that Clarko managed out alot of the Hawks 'sweethearts' (whose time was clearly up) within his first 2 years at the club... Dutchy, Thompson, Hay, Barker, Lekkas, Graham, Tallis... is it a coincidence that they were all gone within Clarko's first 2 years...

I’ve been waiting for this. Good to see Clarko picking on form. No one, even a champion like Rough, should get automatic selection.

I was beginning to think we may need a change of coach before seeing this happen. Two thumbs up Clarko!

Hope that Cegs can start clunking a couple of marks and impacting in the air like we need him to.

Scrimshaw and Frawley will improve our defence greatly and Cousins will improve the midfield.

This is the sort of game that GWS has dropped in the past. They are ordinary at the G so we are not without a chance if our execution improves.
I am a fan of Brand but have to say those changes give the side a much more balanced feel. Big game for Cegs to make a case as permanent second ruck.

If Smith is out then make no mistake Clarko is going full savage mode, you can shine it up all you like by saying "he needs a rest", facts are we have been playing him and he has been fit enough to run out there... Clarko will be sitting him because of his performance and the fact we need to look forward, every possible chance Calrko is thinking of a future without Izzie and to me I would be ok with it.

Clarkos legend grows, this bloke is a deadset 1 in a million leader, bloody love him.
Trade... should have happened last year IMO to Izzy “I can kick it long” Smith

Thought Roughead has been doing okay, good in patches, but only okay overall. If he isn't doing what was asked of him, then it is back to Box Hill for him. Don't see what the drama is. Everyone needs a kick in the pants, from time to time. Thought he handled himself well when talking about it, he didn't have to like it, but he spoke well. It should twist in his guts and demand him to earn his spot back. Also, should be an absolute shot across the bows of players like Puopolo, Smith, etc... and also Mr Stratton.

A club has to be in a constant state of renewal, sometimes more so, than others.

Go Hawks.

my oh my he did the unthinkable well it was actually very predictable

This will cause some heat for but so be it,
You can't play Roughead&Lewis but you can play Ceglar&Lewis&, If you went with a small line up fair enough,

Roughy is a key position fwd who is out of his prime and form i agree,
but you have replaced him with a fwd/ruck that i can't recall in the last 2 season taking many marks in our forward 50 or tackles,
someone pull me up the stats here, I have no issues with Cegs as ruck not as a fwd who is 2nd ruck NO!
Try something new clarko!! yawn

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back