Changes Round 8 v Saints

Remove this Banner Ad

The team sheet says Chris Masten (omitted). It doesn’t say rested or soreness or any specific injury. Other than the tweet from Travis King that Masten was walking laps at Monday training there’s no suggestion that there’s any injury involved in his omission.

He was dropped

I think it’s a somewhat belated acknowledgment from the match committee that our midfield mix hasn’t been working and they’ve removed the poorest performer from that group

We’ve brought in our best performing forward to redress a structural issue that has been discussed on this board regularly in recent weeks

Mallen can consider himself unlucky but he’s not better than any of the remaining mids and he’s not been playing as a forward so Waterman was preferred
You could be right. Apart from all the other factors involved in getting a win away from home, it'll be very interesting to see how this structure shapes up, and how it all pans out on the day.

This is it boys, the last of the "Terrible 5" out of the playing group...big things to come. (T5 was Rosa, Ebert, Stevens, Scooter and Masten).
I remember those days. Scooter and Ebert made me cringe. We should thank Masten. He was the best of that bunch

I think Duggo has a bit of the look about him where the brain is going faster than the body can tolerate when he's in congestion that's too heavy but he has improved a lot.

Masten isn't really a midfielder, I'd say he's playing more of a defensive position.

I think Cole to the middle would be better than Duggan, he's very evasive, equally good at tackling and has a serviceable kick. Duggan is better in the air, more likely to effect a spoil or take a contested grab and has been using the ball well enough this year save for a bad right foot kick the other night. I just like having Duggan down back for some reason.

Happy for whatever the coaches go with on this one.

Also when people say "too tall" I think the message is more to do with the way the selected players play. Being the same height as Dangerfield doesn't mean somebody plays like him.

I think Duggo has a bit of the look about him where the brain is going faster than the body can tolerate when he's in congestion that's too heavy but he has improved a lot.

Duggo is much more of an outside than an inside player. Has the same issue as Vennas when he plays midfield, simply only racks up 14-15 touches a game when he needs to be getting minimum 20+
May assist now with contested beasts like Redden & Yeo in the guts, but Duggo would play a similar role to Gaff; more on the outside to use his terrific skills and excellent decision making.

It's tough to talk about Duggo's trajectory. On one side he is a terrific chb player on smalls and would arguably be our next captain and is easily one of the first 15 - 20 players on our team sheet. On the other, you take the punt and put him in the middle; but that means moving out Redden/Shuey/Yeo who are our best contested mids and we're too heavy as it is on midfield rotations. Alternatively you shift Sheed out of the lineup, but he has the best quickfire handball in our team with time and space as he's more outside than inside. Or crazier still, don't play a traditional tagger like Hutchie and back your mids to win the contest. Would work with NN back in the team; but not with Vardy.

Is it worth trying Duggan in the “Masten role” and bring Rotham in to play down back? Runs the same distances, attacks the ball like a madman and would have a good two way running sense after playing in defence for so long..

Possibly what they’re going for with the Waterman inclusion.. Allen and Duggan both starting on the bench so possibly Allen down back and Duggan further up?

I would rather Duggan was given Hutchings role and we dropped a dedicated back all together. Bigger body, would get led to the ball and he’s much more creative.

You could role any of Duggan, Yeo or OAllen back at stages.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Duggan is more likely to put his head over the ball but is a worse kick than Masto, ball in hand he can be in the look away now category.

Duggan is good when he lowers the eyes.

His best football has been across the half forward line and he’s good enough to move away from the back half.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well Duggan is a turn over merchant at the moment who leaks goals.
We need him to come good soon or spend some time in the WAFL

I think Masten isn’t injured but possibly just sore and is being managed as a older player it’s taking longer to recover from each game..

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Geez

Some people are all like "**** MASTEN COULDNT BE DROPPED...HE HAS A SORE FINGER...YEAH A SORE HAIR FOLLICLE."

No bitches, he was dropped...omitted..not good enough...go back and get some form or ********....not in best 22...

Any other way we need to explain it to you?

Geez

Some people are all like "**** MASTEN COULDNT BE DROPPED...HE HAS A SORE FINGER...YEAH A SORE HAIR FOLLICLE."

No bitches, he was dropped...omitted..not good enough...go back and get some form or ********....not in best 22...

Any other way we need to explain it to you?
Um, you could try politely, just for something completely different.:rolleyes:

Masten isn't really a midfielder, I'd say he's playing more of a defensive position.

I think Cole to the middle would be better than Duggan, he's very evasive, equally good at tackling and has a serviceable kick. Duggan is better in the air, more likely to effect a spoil or take a contested grab and has been using the ball well enough this year save for a bad right foot kick the other night. I just like having Duggan down back for some reason.

Happy for whatever the coaches go with on this one.

Also when people say "too tall" I think the message is more to do with the way the selected players play. Being the same height as Dangerfield doesn't mean somebody plays like him.
Please refrain from putting defensive and masten in one sentence. Someone with defensive abilities has no problem laying tackles or get physical. Last time masten shrugged off a tackle or laid one, John Howard was in power. If Masten is not a mid, then he is def not a defensive player. He is what I call a waste of space annoying 150 game premiership player.

Please refrain from putting defensive and masten in one sentence. Someone with defensive abilities has no problem laying tackles or get physical. Last time masten shrugged off a tackle or laid one, John Howard was in power. If Masten is not a mid, then he is def not a defensive player. He is what I call a waste of space annoying 150 game premiership player.

*200 game premiership player.

Only because it’s the WAFL bye so they’re taking him over for experience. Not a huge deal IMO.

Plenty of youngsters they would pick first on that basis you’d think. I think it’s a combination of performance and the unfortunate reality that he’s the next KPD in line.

It’s simple algebra ( no not a foreign country ) and is used in most real life unknown theories , The examples always involved X , Y and Z in equations ..
Yes, I understood you the first time? I studied algebra, trig and tech drawing in high school too, about 500 years ago now...dry humour doesn't convert well on BF posts?..think of a sarky old man, that's my kind of humour, but we all have our cross to bear!
Not as big as the Eagles though, that premiership cross is getting pretty heavy by now...
Rioli should lighten the load?

Yes, I understood you the first time? I studied algebra, trig and tech drawing in high school too, about 500 years ago now...dry humour doesn't convert well on BF posts?..think of a sarky old man, that's my kind of humour, but we all have our cross to bear!
Not as big as the Eagles though, that premiership cross is getting pretty heavy by now...
Rioli should lighten the load?

I agree light hearted humour can be fun but explaining seems to be a different kettle of fish ..Which I am loathe to do most times ...

Yeah Rioli will be itching to play after putting in his best preseason , he will be hot too trot early..Will be a big lift to the team ..

Remove this Banner Ad

Back