List Mgmt. 2018-19 DFA & SSP Period (Midseason Draft after Round 10)

Remove this Banner Ad

Virgin Dog

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
So he can’t kick and does not get much of it yet ... why are clubs interested ? ...
Because there are other attributes other than just kicking and finding the ball more than anyone else. Also I never said he can't kick, just that he's not great. He's not terrible either.

He is a strong tackler, has very good agility and ability to manoeuvre through packs, great endurance meaning he should be capable of playing AFL sooner rather than later, is a contested beast at his level, and did I mention he's a strong tackler?

He's basically a lesser Cripps in many ways, with his main weakness being inability to accumulate enough possessions. And just like Cripps, he's not the greatest kick, but is able to cover that with his other qualities.

For what it's worth, in the Young Guns match he had a game-high 27 disposals (12 contested), 7 clearances, 8 score involvements, 4 tackles and 2 goals. Absolutely blew the field away, and was the clear BOG

Kruezing

Premiership Player
Mar 30, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
Because there are other attributes other than just kicking and finding the ball more than anyone else. Also I never said he can't kick, just that he's not great. He's not terrible either.

He is a strong tackler, has very good agility and ability to manoeuvre through packs, great endurance meaning he should be capable of playing AFL sooner rather than later, is a contested beast at his level, and did I mention he's a strong tackler?

He's basically a lesser Cripps in many ways, with his main weakness being inability to accumulate enough possessions. And just like Cripps, he's not the greatest kick, but is able to cover that with his other qualities.

For what it's worth, in the Young Guns match he had a game-high 27 disposals (12 contested), 7 clearances, 8 score involvements, 4 tackles and 2 goals. Absolutely blew the field away, and was the clear BOG
Cool thanks for that ...

The Grover

Premiership Player
Nov 24, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Carlton

27 disposals in a higher standard level is a good effort.

I believe the Bulldogs VFL match is televised on Ch 7 this Sunday, lets see how he performs.

Virgin Dog

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
27 disposals in a higher standard level is a good effort.

I believe the Bulldogs VFL match is televised on Ch 7 this Sunday, lets see how he performs.
Yeah it will definitely be the best indication of where he's at

Sunday 12th of May, 11.40 am MCG

Televised channel seven from 11.30 am

B: B.Khamis**Le.Young**R.Gardner
HB: F.Roberts**L.Vandermeer**B.Williams
C: B.Dale**L.Jong**B.Lynch
HF: C.Porter**J.Schache**R.West
F: R.Smith**T.Dickson**P.Lipinski

Foll: T.Boyd**J.Prudden**L.Webb

I/C: R.William**L.Nash**R.McComb**B.Olsson**L.Sullivan**J.Wallis**B.Kanakis**A.Scott

23RD Man: K.Dunkley

thebluelagoon

All Australian
Oct 27, 2012
AFL Club
Carlton
I would have hoped that the recruiting department was throwing resources behind finding forward pockets. So hopefully they will have had a chance to find a decent one. the upside to taking "on need" rather than "best available" is that there is some development opportunity to get some meaningful games into a forward. Putting games into a midfielder (in a forward pocket) is not achieving much, except for getting the boys to learn how to endure a loss...

Aug 16, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal
I'm not sure about using the mid season draft to draft a youngster, if they were good enough they'd have been drafted proper. Mid-season draft seems like more an opportunity for mature-age recruits to get a crack.

Papley says hi.
Menegola says hi.
Kelly says hi.
Liam Ryan says hi.
Mihocech says hi
Collins says hi.

We’re won’t draft a mature aged player

Fantastic - exactly what I want from this draft.

Understand some are calling us to add experience but there aren't many who would be able to come in and play a role straight away.

It takes a while to learn structures, game plans etc. so they're not just going to be able to step up to the plate straight away. The only experience I'd consider is someone from the Northern Blues.

Much rather give the spot to a kid who either just missed out on the ND last year or who has started this year well, and we think they might have a long term future at the footy club.

Aug 27, 2014
spacetime
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
there are no other teams worthy
Which is why Cory Gregson ticks a few boxes for what we need.
Is he a goal kicking forward ? Not sure he was. Think more a midfielder that was hard to get a role at Cats a couple of years back. Anyway, maybe he worked on a forward craft. I not aware of what league he playing in right this season.

Aug 27, 2014
spacetime
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
If we had mid season drafts in 1978, a Wayne Johnston at Prahran in that season would have been a genius pick.
What age did champs like Dominator and Jezza first start the league careers?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sep 9, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Is he a goal kicking forward ? Not sure he was. Think more a midfielder that was hard to get a role at Cats a couple of years back. Anyway, maybe he worked on a forward craft. I not aware of what league he playing in right this season.

He's AVG a goal a game and 6 tackles so far this season.

He looked ok at times in the Geelong games I saw him in.

Aug 27, 2014
spacetime
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Pretty sure Johnston was 21 when he came to Carlton.

That was my guess too. The draft era really has made all of us so obsessed with 18 and 19 year olds for youngsters to show how good they are going to be. But if we look back in not too distant future plenty of examples of guys 20 to 22 before they really make known what they can become. Some serious greats too. I doubt any of Ablett Snr, Jezza, Wayne Johnston or Diesel Williams were anywhere near as good at 18 or 19 years of age as they were around 22 and 23.
I just think there is more gems out there that do not show their class in teenage years. Tim Kelly and Liam Ryan types are still out there if clubs get good at this.

Nov 4, 2003
Earth, near Carlton.
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
We’re won’t draft a mature aged player
21 and under?

Yay, another 18-19 year old who will need a few years to have an impact.
Not necessarily. From my perspective, I'm still wondering how Kyle Reid is going, and what saw him go undrafted in the first place.

Nov 4, 2003
Earth, near Carlton.
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/mid-season-draft.1217862/

Twenty-two players have been invited for medical screenings in the upcoming draft.

Eight are from the WAFL (EP, Sub x2, Cla x2, WC, SF, PT)
Five are from the VFL (Cob x2, Ess, Wil, NB)
Four are from the NAB League (WJ, GP, ER, DS)
Four are from the SANFL (Gle x2, WA, Nor)
One is from the NEAFL (NT)

I'll give the basic stats run down of each (relevant ones) but go a bit more in depth for the VFL ones

WAFL:

Ajang Ajang (22 year old 198 cm/96 kg ruck, East Perth): 5 games, averaging 10 disposals, 24.6 hit outs, 1.6 marks, 0.2 goals
Josh Deluca (22 y/o 179/80 midfielder, Subiaco): 5 games, averaging 27.2 disposals, 5.2 marks, 4.8 tackles
Oliver Eastland (21 y/o 198/87 forward/ruck, Claremont): 5 games, averaging 13 disposals, 8 hit outs, 3.6 marks, 0.6 goals
Brady Grey (23 y/o 180/85 half forward, West Coast): 4 games, averaging 18 disposals, 6.5 tackles, 0.5 goals
Jack Mayo (19 y/o 192/81 key forward, Subiaco): 3 reserves games, averaging 16.3 disposals, 6 marks, 3 tackles, 1.3 goals
Declan Mountford (22 y/o 183/70 half back/tagger, Claremont): 5 games, averaging 22.8 disposals, 4.6 marks, 5.6 tackles
Marlion Pickett (27 y/o 184/84 midfielder, South Fremantle): Hasn't played in 2019
Jarvis Pina (19 y/o 176/72 small defender, Peel Thunder): 3 colts games, averaging 22.3 disposals, 5.3 marks, 6.6 tackles

NAB League

Daly Andrews (19 y/o, 183/81 utility, Western Jets): 5 games, averaging 20.8 disposals, 4 marks, 4.8 tackles
Kyle Dunkley (19 y/o, 185/84 midfielder, Gippsland Power): 4 games, averaging 18.8 disposals, 4.5 marks, 8.8 tackles
Cody Hirst (19 y/o, 178/67 small defender, Eastern Ranges): 4 games, averaging 22 disposals, 4.5 marks, 4.8 tackles
Mitch Riordan (19 y/o, 187/83 midfielder, Dandenong Stingrays): 4 games, averaging 17.5 disposals, 3.3 marks, 5 tackles

SANFL

Cory Gregson (22 y/o 175/78 small forward, Glenelg): 5 games, averaging 15.2 disposals, 6.2 tackles, 1 goal
Lachlan Hosie (22 y/o 189/78 third tall forward, Glenelg): 6 games, averaging 15 disposals, 5.5 marks, 2.7 goals
John Noble (22 y/o 180/72 midfielder, West Adelaide): 6 games, averaging 22.7 disposals, 6.3 marks, 3.2 tackles
Matt Nunn (22 y/o 181/81 midfielder, Norwood): 4 games, averaging 25 disposals, 6 marks, 6.3 tackles

NEAFL

Adam Tipungwuti (22 y/o small forward, NT Thunder): 4 games, averaging 11.8 disposals, 1.3 tackles, 1 goal

VFL

Frank Anderson (21 y/o 185/83 midfielder, Northern Blues): 4 games, averaging 14.8 disposals, 1.5 marks, 4.8 tackles (Although was injured early in his last game)
Ray Connellan (24 y/o 191/85 half back, Essendon): 2 games, averaging 16 disposals, 6 marks, 2 tackles
Lochlan Dickson (24 y/o 190/94 half back, Coburg): 5 games, averaging 21 disposals, 3.2 marks, 1.8 tackles
Mitchell Hibberd (22 y/o 191/90 midfielder, Williamstown): 5 games, averaging 21.6 disposals, 4 marks, 4.4 tackles
Sam Lowson (21 y/o 174/73 small forward, Coburg): 5 games, averaging 12.4 disposals, 2.2 tackles, 2.8 goals

For the VFL crew, I think the bottom two are the most likely to be drafted, in fact I can see Lowson being called out in the first three, depending on where the ladder is placed. Hibberd I feel is the best midfielder in the VFL and would be leading the JJ Liston trophy right now. Connellan I don't think will have a huge impact yet and Anderson I think hasn't put the numbers up yet, but if he gets his production up when he gets back from injury I can see him getting drafted

Nov 4, 2003
Earth, near Carlton.
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur

Blue and Blue

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 29, 2018
On the glory road
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Everton
That was my guess too. The draft era really has made all of us so obsessed with 18 and 19 year olds for youngsters to show how good they are going to be. But if we look back in not too distant future plenty of examples of guys 20 to 22 before they really make known what they can become. Some serious greats too. I doubt any of Ablett Snr, Jezza, Wayne Johnston or Diesel Williams were anywhere near as good at 18 or 19 years of age as they were around 22 and 23.
I just think there is more gems out there that do not show their class in teenage years. Tim Kelly and Liam Ryan types are still out there if clubs get good at this.
Jimmy Buckley and Tim Watson. Freaks or something.

Nov 4, 2003
Earth, near Carlton.
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-05-07/who-wants-a-lightningquick-200cm-key-defender

After discussions with AFL recruiters, the Bushies brought Kelly back for the NAB League this season as a 19-year-old – and the results have been highly promising.

He played predominantly as a centre half-back before switching into the ruck the last two seasons, but has returned to his defensive roots in 2019 while still rucking where required.

Kelly's intercept marking and blazing speed for his size – he runs sub-three seconds for 20m – are his strengths and he's featured in the best players in three of his four matches this year.

Ben Kelly sounds promising: KPD who's had to play forward/ruck for the Bushrangers the last couple of seasons.

Bamboo Harvester

Premiership Player
Sep 19, 2018
Shark Bay
AFL Club
Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

Back