Preview Round 8, 2019: Hawthorn v GWS Giants, 12 May 2019, 3.20pm @ MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would Poppy be the shortest CHF ever named? LOL
I was thinking the exact same. Hehe

Wingard in for Lewis and we'd have the small nimble forward line that could do some real damage. Just gotta teach the boys to lower their eyes now and play with pure desperation. One way back into this season.. vicious intent.

my oh my he did the unthinkable well it was actually very predictable

This will cause some heat for but so be it,
You can't play Roughead&Lewis but you can play Ceglar&Lewis&, If you went with a small line up fair enough,

Roughy is a key position fwd who is out of his prime and form i agree,
but you have replaced him with a fwd/ruck that i can't recall in the last 2 season taking many marks in our forward 50 or tackles,
someone pull me up the stats here, I have no issues with Cegs as ruck not as a fwd who is 2nd ruck NO!
Try something new clarko!! yawn
woud rather big boy forward cegs ruck

Ah... by being our most consistent forward? He'd be the first one picked inside 50 every week. Averaging 20% more tackles in front of goal than anyone else in the comp
If you think Poppy is a more consistent foward than Bruest then I am watching a different team.

Clarkos presser was more harsh than anything a poster has said about the Ruff nut... people call out posters for criticising players but what these boys would hear from clarko would far outweigh anything said here. The thing I love about Clarko is his transparency, honesty and attitude to make decisions that he believes is for the betterment of the club.

I am sure Ruff will accept his position and go out and lead and be a mentor to the lads in the 2s, I also think if Issie goes back then he will have to have that same attitude otherwise he'll know his papers would be stamped.
With transparency like that, we should get Clarko to front up and do the Bupa reports.

So In: Frawley, Scrimshaw, Cousins, Ceglar
And Out: Roughead (omitted), Wingard (hamstring), Howe (omitted), Brand (omitted)

I actually thought Brand was good last week was perhaps our only third man in, in the first half (apart form the usual Siz) got burnt a couple of times because of it, but then again his team mates didn't help him, given Tom McDonald had season highs of one goal and one goal assist... and seriously based on his form last year and the amount of time the ball was in their forwardline he should have had 10. Nevertheless attacked every contest with more vigour than well his entire team. Howe I can see the reasons GWS with Ward out don't have too many really big bodied players and he has just not clicked offensively this year... mind you I reckon one year in his career he will have a Barry Young breakout year. Is he better than Cousins 4 sure but this is Clarko's statement week and he's all in on it. Roughy and Wingard we've discussed enough.

Of the ins, Chip is obviously still seen as someone who can be around 4 at least 3 more years internally if his migraines, shoulders and now hammy's don't let him down. Scrimshaw being managed last week was the biggest hint we were throwing the game ever, I was a little dumbfounded on that one. Cousins will be far better once Mitchell is back, he can be a 18-22 player in a team. Ceglar, twas a big fan before he did his knee, seen nothing since he did that knee... and it's been a few years now. But given we want to trade him to GWS to get someone from them I do see the forward planning in selecting him.

And Out: Roughead (omitted), Wingard (hamstring), Howe (omitted), Brand (omitted)

I actually thought Brand was good last week was perhaps our only third man in, in the first half (apart form the usual Siz) got burnt a couple of times because of it, but then again his team mates didn't help him, given Tom McDonald had season highs of one goal and one goal assist... and seriously based on his form last year and the amount of time the ball was in their forwardline he should have had 10. Nevertheless attacked every contest with more vigour than well his entire team. Howe I can see the reasons GWS with Ward out don't have too many really big bodied players and he has just not clicked offensively this year... mind you I reckon one year in his career he will have a Barry Young breakout year. Is he better than Cousins 4 sure but this is Clarko's statement week and he's all in on it. Roughy and Wingard we've discussed enough.

Of the ins, Chip is obviously still seen as someone who can be around 4 at least 3 more years internally if his migraines, shoulders and now hammy's don't let him down. Scrimshaw being managed last week was the biggest hint we were throwing the game ever, I was a little dumbfounded on that one. Cousins will be far better once Mitchell is back, he can be a 18-22 player in a team. Ceglar, twas a big fan before he did his knee, seen nothing since he did that knee... and it's been a few years now. But given we want to trade him to GWS to get someone from them I do see the forward planning in selecting him.

We looked a much better side when McEvoy was clunking marks around the ground and forward. When we omitted Ceglar he was unable to have the same impact due to 1) not being able to get forward as often and 2) experiencing more fatigue. Though I think Ceglar was lacklustre earlier in the year, he enabled McEvoy to be a much more dangerous player. And I'm still hopeful Cegs can clunk a few.

If nothing else these selection statements Clarko's made have me genuinely excited to see what the boys produce on the weekend, whereas the past few weeks I've been yawning away, almost feeling like the team is stuck in no man's land.

I think this is the right move. Even if we get thrashed we'll know the club isn't just going through the motions but is actively getting on the front foot. Clarko may only have a limited range of options at his disposal but its great he isn't going to die wondering.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If you think Poppy is a more consistent foward than Bruest then I am watching a different team.
Are you watching on tv or at the ground? I've seen Pops halve so many 2 v 1's this year that it's almost comical. If the rest of our forwards played with his level of commitment we'd have at minimum another 2 wins

We looked a much better side when McEvoy was clunking marks around the ground and forward. When we omitted Ceglar he was unable to have the same impact due to 1) not being able to get forward as often and 2) experiencing more fatigue. Though I think Ceglar was lacklustre earlier in the year, he enabled McEvoy to be a much more dangerous player. And I'm still hopeful Cegs can clunk a few.
McEvoy is an area you will have an advantage. I like Dawson Simpson, he's very positive and works well with our mids, but at best he'll provide an honest contest at the taps. He won't match his mobility around the ground. If you use Ceglar as number 1ruck I think it's pretty even but you will have a weapon around the ground.

Davis probably takes him when forward, the other option is Tomlinson could run with him around the ground.

That, i certainly agree with.

But then, were we expecting to?

i think the current doom and gloom is being overshot.

Currently 13th and:
- 0.6% from being 11th.
- 4 points away from being top 8

Expectation is a difficult thing to quantify from person to person, bigfooty poster to bigfooty poster, Alistair Clarkson to the next coach. Player to player ..and family member of players to friends of they're own. Your and my expectation of this season could be vastly different and from the lead in of your post...I think it is.

There is no doom and gloom from me. There is the reality of our position on the ladder which I don't like and I expect others here wouldn't either. We are where we are. Clarkson knows it.

We maybe % and points away from those higher on the ladder... like I said in an earlier post. I watched the first quarter of our game against Carlton and our last 9 goal against quarter vs the dogs and I am worried. The next few weeks are a turning point for Clarkson and the club..we can all feel it. We are not players or administrators of the club that I know of. But we can only watch from afar and hope that the team clicks and the engine starts running as a whole again.

I'd argue Melbourne roped a doped us last week.

BB was on Max now BB is a good clunker but when Max is tagging you he's tall enough to stop the clunk, he tried to follow BB everywhere, and when he has 3 to 4 players following him as it's a team plan knowing he's tall enough to spoil and BB is lucky to have two as we expect him to clunk it, we got slaughtered. Not BB's fault at all a height mismatch Melbourne exploited that's all. More a coaching Faux Pas. They should have seen the captain obvious plan Melbourne was going with and adjusted... Sicily did leading to the other side of the ground against mismatches... but we are well drilled so we will only ever go to the game plan. (Not necessarily a negative when your good as it won us a premiership or more) but it was what was hurting us in the game.

I thought it really stood out, how many more players they had around McEvoy. They knew where we were going b4 we were even there.

Clarko's only going to play one of Brand and Frawley, and Chip isn't a complete liability when the ball hits the deck.

I really haven’t liked what I’ve seen this season. Doesn’t work hard enough, butchers the ball and looks lost.
I reckon he got rushed back in with the injuries to Sheils and Burgoyne, he missed a large chunk of the preseason with a hip problem. Be interesting to see how he goes at box hill, he normally smashes it at that level

Clarko's only going to play one of Brand and Frawley, and Chip isn't a complete liability when the ball hits the deck.

Do not disagree. (There's a double negative to say I agree with u) However, if we are all in, Chip would go... UNLESS as I said, the club believe he still has at least 3 years left in him. So if we achieve our aim to be after a premiership in a year or two or three. Chip would still be around and contributing. My issue of Brand being dropped is not with Chip if he's better. It's with the fact for example we have Chip, Brand, TOB and Siz plays 6'5" as well even thought he isn't anywhere near that height. Geez and we got Mohr as well as a developing Kosi. So we are pretty prepared for that position. And Stratton can pinch hit... well has previously.

Yet we have Lewis... Roughead as a cameo and well Schoenmakers if he ever is fit enough up forward.

So for 2 KPB positions we have 6 and 1/2 players. For 2 KPF we have 1 (developing player who is our tall forward line at the moment) and 2 - 1/2 players. McEvoy's our ruckman so we can't really count him. Now in saying that and given our attempts to get Lynch and rumour's we are after Patton I can see we are trying to alleviate that.

NB: I also believe we have another 1/2 player up forward in Nash developing but this board goes bonkers if you mention his name, because he hasn't been an instant success like Mason Cox who took an extra year to even debut. But overall we have not invested in recruiting tall forwards currently. There is also an argument we haven't invested in recruiting tall ruckman either anymore. The days of the Max Bailey experiment are long gone, much like the bounce of the ball that gives short ruckman a chance.

Do not disagree. (There's a double negative to say I agree with u) However, if we are all in, Chip would go... UNLESS as I said, the club believe he still has at least 3 years left in him. So if we achieve our aim to be after a premiership in a year or two or three. Chip would still be around and contributing. My issue of Brand being dropped is not with Chip if he's better. It's with the fact for example we have Chip, Brand, TOB and Siz plays 6'5" as well even thought he isn't anywhere near that height. Geez and we got Mohr as well as a developing Kosi. So we are pretty prepared for that position. And Stratton can pinch hit... well has previously.

Yet we have Lewis... Roughead as a cameo and well Schoenmakers if he ever is fit enough up forward.

So for 2 KPB positions we have 6 and 1/2 players. For 2 KPF we have 1 (developing player who is our tall forward line at the moment) and 2 - 1/2 players. McEvoy's our ruckman so we can't really count him. Now in saying that and given our attempts to get Lynch and rumour's we are after Patton I can see we are trying to alleviate that.

NB: I also believe we have another 1/2 player up forward in Nash developing but this board goes bonkers if you mention his name, because he hasn't been an instant success like Mason Cox who took an extra year to even debut. But overall we have not invested in recruiting tall forwards currently. There is also an argument we haven't invested in recruiting tall ruckman either anymore. The days of the Max Bailey experiment are long gone, much like the bounce of the ball that gives short ruckman a chance.
If neither of them are going to be part of the next flag but whoever is can't be played now or isn't on the list, you go with Chip so the rest of the young back can work with him while they are developing.

Our backline also has more kids in it than our forward line, and I imagine Chip was hitting his KPIs better than Brand as well

Expectation is a difficult thing to quantify from person to person, bigfooty poster to bigfooty poster, Alistair Clarkson to the next coach. Player to player ..and family member of players to friends of they're own. Your and my expectation of this season could be vastly different and from the lead in of your post...I think it is.

There is no doom and gloom from me. There is the reality of our position on the ladder which I don't like and I expect others here wouldn't either. We are where we are. Clarkson knows it.

We maybe % and points away from those higher on the ladder... like I said in an earlier post. I watched the first quarter of our game against Carlton and our last 9 goal against quarter vs the dogs and I am worried. The next few weeks are a turning point for Clarkson and the club..we can all feel it. We are not players or administrators of the club that I know of. But we can only watch from afar and hope that the team clicks and the engine starts running as a whole again.

Good post. Different perspectives are always intriguing. So here's mine.

My pre-season prediction was that this would be our lowest finishing season since '06. Albeit with hindsight, that meant lower than 9th in '09.
Injuries are part of football, but i sense a full bench gets us home against the dogs; and it was a good come-from-behind against Carlton.

There's a lot of "new" about our side. in the 22 this week, almost half the side have played less than 50 games for the club.
Worpel
Scully
Impey
Cousins
O'Meara
Moore
Lewis
Scrimshaw
Henderson

and Hardwicks played 51

Cohesions like Pantene. It won't happen overnight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back