A-League Finals Week Two - Semi Finals!

Remove this Banner Ad

Finals series is way too short, particularly for teams like Perth who go straight into elimination finals.

They had a week off which is their reward but I agree, We should go back to the old top six series where top two get a double chance and play-off for Grand Final hosting rights over 2 legs.

Hopefully they make the GF tickets cheap and pack the joint out. Will do wonders for the game in this state in the long run

If the make it expensive and get 35-40k it will be very disappointing

They had a week off which is their reward but I agree, We should go back to the old top six series where top two get a double chance and play-off for Grand Final hosting rights over 2 legs.

Finals format stinks. 1 and 2 get a week off but there are no double chances for anyone.

Should be a 1v2 final first up. AFL used a similar system in the early 90s. Final 4 or final 8 is better, but 4 isn't enough games and 8 is a joke for the number of teams in the A-League.

Finals format stinks. 1 and 2 get a week off but there are no double chances for anyone.

Should be a 1v2 final first up. AFL used a similar system in the early 90s. Final 4 or final 8 is better, but 4 isn't enough games and 8 is a joke for the number of teams in the A-League.

Thats what I said we should go back to that old system, The A-league was using a similar systems to the AFL's top Six but changed it some years ago.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thats what I said we should go back to that old system, The A-league was using a similar systems to the AFL's top Six but changed it some years ago.

Really, there shouldn't be a finals series. The previous finals series had an 'anyone can win it' feel, and this one has kind of over compensated.

It would be good to have return legs under this format, but then the top 2 teams would have a 2 week bye, which wouldn't be so good.

Really, there shouldn't be a finals series. The previous finals series had an 'anyone can win it' feel, and this one has kind of over compensated.

It would be good to have return legs under this format, but then the top 2 teams would have a 2 week bye, which wouldn't be so good.

We need finals otherwise the League would die imo! Games like tonight and last years semi make this league. Finals are the matches we remember and look back on.

The old system had the top two playing 2 legged matches for GF hosting right. I think the reason it was changed was that teams where playing each other to often, you had your H/A three times than possibly another three times in finals that’s six matches agains one opponent! It was also hard for fans travelling away and attendees in general due to the familiarity.

We can go back to the old system once the league expands to 14 teams with less fixtures, but who knows through by then the A-League may consider a top 8 like the AFL/NRL.

Last edited:
Definitely need finals. We sewed up the Premiers Plate a few weeks ago, what would anyone else play for? The bottom 3 were out of finals contention for ages, Newcastle still in it for a while. Nobody would be interested in a 10 team comp where 7 or 8 teams are just fighting for ladder positions that don't mean anything.

What a game. Great effort by Adelaide to keep coming back when they looked gone. Penalty shoot out was fun to watch as a neutral.

Congrats to Perth. Hopefully they get a huge crowd to the final. A win would be a fitting reward for a great season.

Best side won on the night, but proud of our guys. We found reserves of energy I didn't think we had left.

We did make it very easy for him, but he had to save them.

That was quite unbelievable last night. Glory tried to Glory it so many times. Had two chances to ice the game (just like the 2000 NSL Grand Final) and failed. Thank christ for that raging pisshead Liam Reddy. What a man.

I know it's good to get people in, but what are the Glory fans thoughts on moving the game down the road to Optus ??

Huge blow, tips the balance further in Sydneys favour.

But the Victory usually respond when their backs are against the wall.

I like the original finals system the best. Top 4, 1v2 and 3v4 over two legs then a prelim and grand final.

As for last night, great game but if ever there was a wasted grand final opportunity it was that. Had that penalty shootout for the taking, unreal effort to get to that point though.

And it is somewhat easier to swallow as it was against Perth, too many lost finals to Melbourne or Sydney in AU’s history.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back