AFL Player #21: Dyson Heppell aka Farnsy

21 - heppell.jpg

Contract Status: Unrestricted Free Agent 2024
My Boy Draft 2024: Pick 27, Highly Evolved

Last edited by a moderator:
I love all the middle aged people on social media demanding he cut his hair, because we all know that a good haircut is inherent to your football ability.

That's exactly why Dustin Martin won the Brownlow a few years ago with a half-done buzzcut before the clippers ran out of battery.

Sep 12, 2003
under the table
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Not important
I love all the middle aged people on social media demanding he cut his hair, because we all know that a good haircut is inherent to your football ability.

That's exactly why Dustin Martin won the Brownlow a few years ago with a half-done buzzcut before the clippers ran out of battery.

If anything he needs to double down on the dreadlocks!

Get some extensions and go full 'rastafarian' kinda like his brother did a few years back, but BIGGER and BETTER!

Jun 9, 2007
un
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Liverpool
OK then, let’s focus on Dys. I love him. He gives his all and is a good bloke. But the rot sets in when the captain is providing a conducive medium. He is doing some outright dumb stuff. Dragging the ball back in whilst on the ground, bombing the ball to a disadvantaged area in the forward 50 and turning the ball over in the corridor. These errors are hugely contagious when the skipper does them.

I’ve always felt he is a great midfielder but it might be time for him to come off halfback again. He’s had some great games in the guts this year but we need to try something different to best fit the team going forward.

OK then, let’s focus on Dys. I love him. He gives his all and is a good bloke. But the rot sets in when the captain is providing a conducive medium. He is doing some outright dumb stuff. Dragging the ball back in whilst on the ground, bombing the ball to a disadvantaged area in the forward 50 and turning the ball over in the corridor. These errors are hugely contagious when the skipper does them.

I’ve always felt he is a great midfielder but it might be time for him to come off halfback again. He’s had some great games in the guts this year but we need to try something different to best fit the team going forward.

That kick to hooker says it all for me

Literally kicked it to a 2 on 1 with hooker running backwards, when the game was on the line.

He is an average player with a terrible boot on him.

The more and more I watch this year the more I realise how s**t now list actually is

Jun 9, 2007
un
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Liverpool

Literally kicked it to a 2 on 1 with hooker running backwards, when the game was on the line.

The more and more I watch this year the more I realise how **** now list actually is
I’m not so down on our list as yourself. This list has shown a very high ceiling. I just think we need to harmonise to the list’s strengths. Maybe that means Dys to HB or perhaps even we go as far as finding a new captain. I wouldn’t take that option mid-season but I think a pre-season leadership re-jig wouldn’t be a stupid idea if we don’t make finals.

Jun 9, 2007
un
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Liverpool
I actually didn’t think he was too bad tonight.
Easily in our best players. But it’s the stuff that he’s doing wrong that needs to be addressed. He is one of our worst offenders at bombing the ball into our forward arc.

I also think he is a decent captain. But if we don’t make finals this year is it not a reasonable idea to look at a Zach Merrett for the future? I just think that there’s enough queries at the moment to consider adjustments to his role in the team. I think his leadership style might still work. I certainly haven’t given up on him as a leader but for the first time I have some unhappy doubts.

The more and more I watch this year the more I realise how **** now list actually is

He’s fine, you’ve just deluded yourself into thinking he was going to be a gun onballer

He’s fine, you’ve just deluded yourself into thinking he was going to be a gun onballer

All I’m saying is His field kicking is ordinary, which is is.

He produces a lot of clangers

dave10

Premiership Player
Apr 26, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
He was probably top 3 for us along with Fanta and Merrett
I actually think what he’s producing is a mirror of where the overall clubs at. There’s something missing. There’s no penetration in his kicking. He’s not damaging in any way. He doesn’t hurt the opposition with his play. He’s stagnated in my mind and hasn’t become the player we hoped / thought for whatever the reason. And in terms of needing to be a leader that leads by his actions, that moment with Myers after the game to me symbolised the attitude of the place over the JLT and round 1 which as per last year has set the tone for the year. Not the stuff of a finals team.

eDPS

Premium Platinum
Nov 4, 2010
Melbourne - Eastern Suburbs
AFL Club
Essendon
Heppell will poll Brownlow votes and in the coaches votes I feel he will be the top Essendon player for that game, his 2nd half was huge and looked to be our only player willing to dig deep. Had some poor picks in the last quarter like most of the team but before that was fine.

Back