Society/Culture Ben Shapiro

Sep 21, 2004
AFL Club
GWS
The questioner pointed out left and right new media and asked if this has coarsened public discourse. Shapiro's response was to get shitty.

He had nothing to offer about the 'x DESTROYS y' stuff other than 'it's a free country'. Missed opportunity there.

Shapiro discussed the need to have a robust but respectful public debate. But has nothing when the presenter pointed out his comments about Obama's SOTU having a fascist mentality.

He was splashing around looking for a lifeguard when the presenter read his JINO stuff back to him.

'This is an attempt to make a quick buck because Im popular and nobody has ever heard of you'. lol what a flog.

I haven't seen much of Shapiro. Surely he's heard these questions before. Im not sure why his reaction to them here was emotive.

chunkylover53

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 13, 2008
From Where You'd Rather Be
AFL Club
Carlton
The interview appeared to me to be one big tabloid level trolling exercise. It's a shame because Neil has very capable journalistic abilities.

Making claims like "stormed off" and "fraud" is as childish as the "destroyed" headings that usually misrepresent these liberal/conservative framed clips.

Shapiro went on to talk about his book, Neil appeared to be focused on antagonizing Shapiro from the outset, then after more than 15 minutes Shapiro politely ended the interview because it had little to do with the purpose of discussing the book.

Don't get me wrong here. I am no conservative, nor a fan of all of Shapiro's beliefs, but if you can't acknowledge that he's a seriously sharp operator, then you don't have any business in analyzing this stuff with an expectation of being taken seriously.
Tabloid level trolling? How? Because it wasn't Dave Rubin or Fox News interviewing him?

He was asking pretty simple questions then Ben would attack him trying to get him to admit he was 'on the left'. Great way to duck any serious debate by victimising himself and just playing identity politics - something Shapiro complains about non-stop.

Neil is 100% right to bring up the 'destroyed' videos - because most of those videos are posted by The Daily Wire - Shapiro's own news outlet. So Neil has read in Shapiro's book that he thinks the US needs to get better to which Neil brings up these videos confronting him that he is indeed, playing a big part in this discourse. It's a pretty straightforward question - not a witch hunt/ .To which Ben ducked it again saying 'why are you picking random videos that I didn't post?'.

After dodging every tough question he just says 'I'm popular and nobody has heard of you'. Pretty childish.

Yep, if one thinks Ben "health-care is like furniture" Shapiro isn't a 'seriously sharp operator' they're not allowed have these discussion :rolleyes:.

You're right about the name-calling earlier. Apologies.

Sep 21, 2004
AFL Club
GWS
That often seems to be the case, when in the public forum.
Everyone wants to score a point or two, sooner than engage into something that may indeed even be meaningful.

Fortunately one can watch the Rubin Report that doesn't set out trying to hit a home run, but just to open up discussion.
Sure, that's what the interviewer was trying to do. He wanted to get Shapiro all shitty.

Why was he able to succeed?

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Tabloid level trolling? How? Because it wasn't Dave Rubin or Fox News interviewing him?

He was asking pretty simple questions then Ben would attack him trying to get him to admit he was 'on the left'. Great way to duck any serious debate by victimising himself and just playing identity politics - something Shapiro complains about non-stop.

Neil is 100% right to bring up the 'destroyed' videos - because most of those videos are posted by The Daily Wire - Shapiro's own news outlet. So Neil has read in Shapiro's book that he thinks the US needs to get better to which Neil brings up these videos confronting him that he is indeed, playing a big part in this discourse. It's a pretty straightforward question - not a witch hunt/ .To which Ben ducked it again saying 'why are you picking random videos that I didn't post?'.

After dodging every tough question he just says 'I'm popular and nobody has heard of you'. Pretty childish.

Yep, if one thinks Ben "health-care is like furniture" Shapiro isn't a 'seriously sharp operator' they're not allowed have these discussion :rolleyes:.

You're right about the name-calling earlier. Apologies.

Which questions related to Shapiro's book?

.......and mate, if you think that was some kind of liberal victory, then it's no wonder your politics are broadly ridiculed.

Sure, that's what the interviewer was trying to do. He wanted to get Shapiro all shitty.

Others may have handled themselves differently and sometimes I can't even look at Shapiro without thinking he's just a big kid. :)

If that was the masterplan to get Shapiro to walk, then he achieved it. What did that mean though?

Let's turn the tables and give Shapiro a research team and plenty of time to prepare for an interview of Neil, designed specifically to 'out' him on some of the things he may have said years ago and now regretted. How would that go down?

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club

Why do you have to reduce things to emotional states as if that has some kind of revealing finality? Are you even aware of your propensity to do this?

chunkylover53

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 13, 2008
AFL Club
Carlton
Which questions related to Shapiro's book?

.......and mate, if you think that was some kind of liberal victory, then it's no wonder your politics are broadly ridiculed.
The questions regarding discourse in the US.

I didn't say it was a big liberal victory. Was just nice to see Shapiro challenged and therefore found out because I think he is a pretender. That's all :)

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
If that was the masterplan to get Shapiro to walk, then he achieved it. What did that mean though?

What does it prove?

The questions regarding discourse in the US.

I didn't say it was a big liberal victory. Was just nice to see Shapiro challenged and therefore found out because I think he is a pretender. That's all :)

I envy the simplicity of your life.

Sep 21, 2004
AFL Club
GWS
ILet's turn the tables and give Shapiro a research team and plenty of time to prepare for an interview of Neil, designed specifically to 'out' him on some of the things he may have said years ago and now regretted. How would that go down?
Who knows.

I remember reading his college stuff on townhall.com (I think) over a decade ago. It doesn't look like he's moved beyond it.

Sep 21, 2004
AFL Club
GWS
Why do you have to reduce things to emotional states as if that has some kind of revealing finality? Are you even aware of your propensity to do this?
Isn't this Shapiro the 'facts don't care about your feelings' man himself?

He got shitty. No big deal. Lots of people don't look to Shapiro for a robust informed debate anyway, and their opinions won't be changed by this.

Who knows.

I remember reading his college stuff on townhall.com (I think) over a decade ago. It doesn't look like he's moved beyond it.

I liked Shapiro for the times he was brazen enough to use 'truths' that most wouldn't have considered doing so in the public forum.
I don't care to listen to his podcasts, or watch his channel. I don't follow the guy, but this was a stunt by the BBC.

When you reduce it down in it's simplest form, it was calling Shapiro to be a liar. No one likes being called a liar.
One should be able to change their mind about things as sometimes the situations around that situation change. Can happen.

Anyway, more chatting around Shapiro and a spike for Neil. Call it a win/win. :)

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Isn't this Shapiro the 'facts don't care about your feelings' man himself?

Is it? Is that the be all and end all of the man?

He got shitty. No big deal. Lots of people don't look to Shapiro for a robust informed debate anyway, and their opinions won't be changed by this.

I'm sure that is the case, but you appear to have analysed enough of his stuff to broadly dismiss him, or at least one would HOPE that this is the case, and you're not just being lazy again, because I'll tell you something now mate, YOU are a very lazy thinker for a person that possesses your level of intelligence. It's like watching a Cray supercomputer spending all of it's time processing Duke Nukem!

Get back to Uni and do some philosophy studies, or anything else that might broaden the horizons of your focus!!!

Sep 21, 2004
AFL Club
GWS
I'm sure that is the case, but you appear to have analysed enough of his stuff to broadly dismiss him, or at least one would HOPE that this is the case, and you're not just being lazy again, because I'll tell you something now mate, YOU are a very lazy thinker for a person that possesses your level of intelligence. It's like watching a Cray supercomputer spending all of it's time processing Duke Nukem!

Get back to Uni and do some philosophy studies, or anything else that might broaden the horizons of your focus!!!

Mate I haven't spent much time with him, but from the dispatches I've heard he's neck deep in this s**t. His opening statement about the media being dominated by the left is as shallow as anything you'd hear on CNN.

Im not hanging the bloke on his emotional reaction, we all get shitty. I'd hope that he remembers that we are imperfect processing units the next time he uses 'facts don't care about feelings' as a win now point.

chunkylover53

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 13, 2008
AFL Club
Carlton
Is it? Is that the be all and end all of the man?

How much Shapiro have you watched or listened to? You know he finishes almost every college campus talk with 'facts don't care about your feelings'? You realise he has that Tweet pinned on his profile permanently, you realise he has basically built his career on that slogan - so yes, he can live and die by those words.

Sorry but I find it absolutely ******* hilarious that someone who probably thinks the Rubin Report is a stimulating open forum for open ideas is trying to call someone else a lazy thinker.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Sorry but I find it absolutely ******* hilarious that someone who probably thinks the Rubin Report is a stimulating open forum for open ideas is trying to call someone else a lazy thinker.

Some people have brains, other people have brands.

Your only salvation is to escape your bubble.

chunkylover53

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 13, 2008
AFL Club
Carlton
Some people have brains, other people have brands.

Your only salvation is to escape your bubble.
I liked RR for a while, til I realised he just gets people on that agree with him whilst he nods in awe. Used to watch and listen to hours upon hours of Shapiro too until I realised him for what he was.

The only one I really enjoy now is JP.

I like to think I've been in and out of my bubble over the years.

I liked RR for a while, til I realised he just gets people on that agree with him whilst he nods in awe. Used to watch and listen to hours upon hours of Shapiro too until I realised him for what he was.
The only one I really enjoy now is JP.
I like to think I've been in and out of my bubble over the years.

Until he's confronted by someone like Sam Harris. :)

All have a purpose and maybe even a usefulness, but each and every speaker can get themselves in trouble when reaching beyond their expertise.

We shouldn't like one player exclusively over another, but just the content of what they have to put forward and for how they do it.

Echoes

Drain the swamp.
May 2, 2019
AFL Club
St Kilda
Was a huge fan of Shapiro after being exposed to his ‘College SJW gets rekt compilation’ mixtapes on youtube, his iconic ‘Why aren’t you 60?’ burn the obvious highlight, but at some point, you realise he is just a rabid pro Israel pro Zionist war dog, and I’m afraid I just can’t join him on that dance.

CheapCharlie

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 12, 2015
AFL Club
Sydney
Shapiro was done over in the BBC interview. He looked distracted and tired. Should have been focusing on the interview at hand.
Bit of a petulant look packing up his toys and leaving

Interesting that Neil stated that he'd never heard of Shapiro before he 'briefed' himself.
Going back so many years and cherry picking things out of context took some serious briefing Mr. Neil. :)

It's funny just as it is how we can take sides simply because we've either grown to like someone or to dislike them....and for what?

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
It's funny just as it is how we can take sides simply because we've either grown to like someone or to dislike them....and for what?

The narrow blinkered world of the left/right paradigm.

AbrahamS

Team Captain
May 2, 2019
AFL Club
GWS
Was a huge fan of Shapiro after being exposed to his ‘College SJW gets rekt compilation’ mixtapes on youtube, his iconic ‘Why aren’t you 60?’ burn the obvious highlight, but at some point, you realise he is just a rabid pro Israel pro Zionist war dog, and I’m afraid I just can’t join him on that dance.
His description of the Australian two tiered healthcare system was quite laughable. However, given his audience, it is a positive to see him question Trump at times.

Echoes

Drain the swamp.
May 2, 2019
AFL Club
St Kilda
His description of the Australian two tiered healthcare system was quite laughable. However, given his audience, it is a positive to see him question Trump at times.

Shapiro is a classical Reagan loving Republican. He may of ‘warmed’ to Donald, but given half a chance he would still have Lyin’ Ted Cruz sitting in the Oval Office in a heartbeat if he could.

Sep 21, 2004
AFL Club
GWS
Just had a quick look at his twitter. In the interview he bristled at the question about the 'Shapiro DESTROYS pink haired lesbian antifa' stuff.

His recent tweet says "@BenShapiro takes a sledgehammer to Congressional Democrats voting to hold Attorney General Barr in contempt of court after he refused to hand in documents he was not legally required to turn over" which has a video with the caption 'Demolishing the Dems charge on Barr'.

No point of lamenting the s**t, when he is neck deep in it.

Although he should be credited with his 'list of dumb things Ive said or done' or whatever it's called.

Back