Autopsy Swans Vs Bombers, R8 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

We scored 77 points for the match only this time we won.
Nothing changed other than the players switching on to their defensive duties for 4 quarters when we didn't have the ball.
Let's just leave it at that because Horse will either move on or be reappointed for another 2 years if we turn things around & get some good footy out of the youngsters.
Not to mention there may already be plans in place where he is going elsewhere & we have our eyes set on someone to takeover the reigns. Too much angst over something that clearly won't happen until year's end at least.
Horse is not getting the flick early, of that we must all agree on.

Couldn't care anymore on whether he should or shouldn't be our coach but apart from winding people on here up last night, it was very enjoyable to see the younger players contribute a little more than they all have in earlier games. That's experience for you & young Blakey & Dawson both doing things much needed by the team such as Blakey's desperate tackles & Dawson's gutsy intercept marking down back.

Enough from me.

You couldn’t go a day without talking about Longmire :p

You think he did nothing different last night ok interesting

All credit to the players then

Hope they sign Jones

Is congestion work is getting very good

Just needs to slow down on the kick

Yeh he chopped it up by foot, but he's progressing really well around congestion. I really didn't expect him to improve this much this quickly in that area considering how fumbly he has been at times over the last few yeras.

Yeh he chopped it up by foot, but he's progressing really well around congestion. I really didn't expect him to improve this much this quickly in that area considering how fumbly he has been at times over the last few yeras.

Jones is so weird its like he is under instruction to pick up ball and just kick it as far as possible even under no pressure.

Fox looked more settled this week haven’t checked his stats but thought he had some
Ok moments

Mills was better later but his decision making under pressure is pretty average

Mills needs to be more consistent but his 2nd half was great. Need him, Florent and Heeney to be more consistent at the moment.

Fox played as a legit midfielder for the first time, I think, ever in the seniors. Looked very at home around the stoppages and has the strength and athleticism to do it.

I'm liking some of the inexperienced players being left in the seniors to grow. Thurlow isn't a brilliant player but he's very solid and is learning how to be a defender for the Swans well. Want to see Fox left in the midfield, O'Riordan left at HB, and Dawson left doing his all over the ground act.

Agree. I was still shouting at the screen, but win or lose today there would have been enough to be positive about and show that things will improve sooner rather than later.

Interested in some observations on today's game from HIGH FOOTY IQ types with strong feelings about structures. What was different to our previous games? The reason we lost all games to this point is coaching and structure, so what was new today?

The Drug-Ons are an ordinary side, coached by the Chemist who makes Jose Horsey look like a geniac.

I think the Drug-Ons have too many players who snort their own bathwater and who refuse to do the hard yards (as opposed to the lines)

Mills needs to be more consistent but his 2nd half was great. Need him, Florent and Heeney to be more consistent at the moment.

Fox played as a legit midfielder for the first time, I think, ever in the seniors. Looked very at home around the stoppages and has the strength and athleticism to do it.

I'm liking some of the inexperienced players being left in the seniors to grow. Thurlow isn't a brilliant player but he's very solid and is learning how to be a defender for the Swans well. Want to see Fox left in the midfield, O'Riordan left at HB, and Dawson left doing his all over the ground act.

agree re thurlow

Mills was ok in the second half some of the guys are lucky Essendon were so wasteful in the last though he has courage but he is a worry with ball in hand

Think Thurlow is an honest soldier type. Would like to see him run more.

Delighted to see Fox play such a solid game. He is a tough beast in the contest and offers speed and endurance. He and the team have suffered from Jose's yo-yo selection policies. I hope he is given a solid block to prove himself.

COR and Smokey Dawson have both suffered from yo-yo and the team has as well. It was outrageous that both were dropped. With continuity, Smokey is improving game by game and is now a vital element of the team.

Blakey's best game and like Dawson, the team benefits when the ball is in his hands.

Concussed or not, it was another less than ordinary performance from KJ. It is all that can be expected. The poor bugger is a shot duck. Aside from his end of year farewell game with Smithy, Reg and Macca this surely was his last game.

Assuming no injuries beyond KJ (concussion and skill atrophy disorder), I hope Rowbottom returns next week if he has another good game in the Ressies. Lance pinged the hammy 15 days ago and will need at least another fortnight.

Summary of this result: Luke Parker turned up.

Good showing from our kids. The 2019-20 seasons should be about developing them, and recruiting some midfield extractors.

Memo to club management, it's rebuild time, get your heads around it.
Edit: have updated my avatar to commemorate this magnificent post climbing athleticism by Dane Rampe

Last edited:
Was that a tongue in cheek reference to Isaac Smith? He knew he had no hope, which makes the decision to not go for a torp even more bizarre. Same with Sinclair at the end if the third. Why not at least try for glory? It's probably only a 1% chance of hitting it sweetly, but that's compared to a 0% chance of a drop punt making the distance. Weird.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Melican stepped through a couple of opponents tonight like he did in his breakout season.
His best game since returning I’d say. Seemed to have more composure.

Having said that he was under less pressure then our previous games, but it builds the confidence with the rest of the group down back as a whole too.

Last night shows there is no need to gift games to old players over the hill

Yep it looked to me like the kids were lifting each other, and it worked with zero help from the artefact we keep persisting with. Dawson, Blakey and McCartin were basically trying to one-up each other with clutch plays all night and it made them all better.

What are you complaining about? We just handed you your 700th #1 pick. Be ******* happy
Did you forget the whole saga where they punted their 2019 first rounder.

Also I'm assuming he's coming from a place of wanting Essendon to lose :p

Yep it looked to me like the kids were lifting each other, and it worked with zero help from the artefact we keep persisting with. Dawson, Blakey and McCartin were basically trying to one-up each other with clutch plays all night and it made them all better.

Teams need leadership but we don’t need past it jack

Otherwise just dust Kirk off or Paul kelly

One thing I didn't see much of last night was players handing off to other players under more pressure. It was fantastic to see. Our decision making was much improved last night!

Gotta say I actually saw a LOT of this, and it happened over and over and over, both from the usual suspects (Parker, Mills) and guys usually smarter than that (Heeney, Florent, Hayward.) We just worked to the bone to make sure we covered ourselves even when we got ourselves in sticky situations. That’s what made the effort so awesome. Our turnovers and basic skill errors easily could have broken this young team’s spirit but instead they just kept on keeping on. Brilliant to see!

Might of been some cheekiness from COR after the 50 double up he got against him earlier in the year. Soon as he got it sprinted forward, reckon he might made a point of running into Smith while he was there to get the double up. Others would've slowly jogged and not got that.

For me next week there needs to be 3 changes.

Out
Ried (injured)
Heeney (injured)
Jack (omitted)

Reid got injured late in the 4th quarter and since we learned this week Heeney is carrying an ankle injury and can't train it is insane we are playing him, especially this season. Drop him and give him all the time he needs to recover. As for Jack, well he got 8 disposals and no offence to him but we have plenty of younger guys who could do better than that.

So not having seen the reserves game yet, and mostly just going off what I think might happen I would go with

In
Franklin
Rowbottom
Menzel (?)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back