Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn, Chad Wingard. 200 games! Signed to the end of 2024

Mar 12, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Port have gotten more out of Burton and Duursma (who is young enough to be dating a high school girl) than we have Chad. I think it's quite reasonable for Hawthorn supporters to be frustrated by how this has gone so far.

Virtually every player that has been brought into Hawthorn has taken time to learn how we play. This includes stars like Burgoyne and McEvoy, who if I remember correctly underperformed in the immediate term and their trades were questioned.

Jul 13, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Lake missed the first month, Burgoyne missed the first 2 months. Gibbo was injured for half his first season and didnt do a huge amount in the games he played.

So the instant expectation really is a bit silly.

Im sure if I look through many of our other recruits they will have taken a while to get up to speed.

Mar 12, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Lake missed the first month, Burgoyne missed the first 2 months. Gibbo was injured for half his first season and didnt do a huge amount in the games he played.

Im sure if I look through many of our other recruits they will have taken a while to get up to speed.

I forgot about Lake, absolutely another one who people questioned.

satadaynitefeva

Team Captain
Jan 30, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
merbein 8 ball team
After an inglorious start to his captaincy of the Australian Test Cricket team, Steve Waugh remarked to a prickly reporter at a press conference ' judge me at the end of my career, not at the end of one series' or words to that effect.
Chad Wingard is a very, very rare talent. He was headhunted and recruited by Clarko for good reason. Players of his ilk come along rarely; once he settles, gets fit feels like he belongs AND we sort our selves out as a team re delivery he will light up the 'G week in week out like few before him - of this I am certain.
Not everyone is happy with the price of doing business to land him, and I get that, but come on, put some thought into it - pretty early days.
The guy is a match winner, happily backing him in. Reckon he'll comfortably win a couple of P.C medals and a flag or 2 before his Hawk career is over.....

Adebisi

Club Legend
Aug 28, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Well depends on whether he's actually got a tear or just some awareness

Pretty sure Ross pinged one in the VFL the other week?

Pretty sure hamstring awareness is the new term for a strain/low grade tear.
It seems like quite a few hammies, may not be any more than previous years, but is standing out more than i can remember.
Ross would bring it to 6...

Port have gotten more out of Burton and Duursma (who is young enough to be dating a high school girl) than we have Chad. I think it's quite reasonable for Hawthorn supporters to be frustrated by how this has gone so far.
those posters/supporters would be dingbats.....

Patience.....no-one wins a trade after 7 weeks....

Feb 5, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Chicago Blackhawks Melb Renegades
Virtually every player that has been brought into Hawthorn has taken time to learn how we play. This includes stars like Burgoyne and McEvoy, who if I remember correctly underperformed in the immediate term and their trades were questioned.

That isn't incorrect, but we have given up far more to get Wingard in and even though it might seem unfair on Chad, supporters should have rightfully expected a quicker beginning to his time at the Hawks. Guys like Impey, Mitchell and Gunston took virtually no time to adapt.

That isn't incorrect, but we have given up far more to get Wingard in and even though it might seem unfair on Chad, supporters should have rightfully expected a quicker beginning to his time at the Hawks. Guys like Impey, Mitchell and Gunston took virtually no time to adapt.

Well that's just not true,

Mitchell is a freak so he is the exception, but Gunston didnt excel in his first few games. Didn't get more than 13 touches in his first 10 or so games....and was playing in a team that was playing AMAZING football. Chad is playing in a very poor team at present.

Impey had very patchy games in his first year.

Look at other recruits around the league. Lynch has kicked 17 goals in 7 games.....not the return for a $1m a year forward
May can't do anything right at Melbourne
Beams is average at Pies
Lobb average at Freo
Hogan doing ok
Dalhaus playing a role at Cats but not sizzling
Neale seems to be the pick of the bunch

Footy is hard and you don't just change club and fire all cylinders straight away, especially in a struggling team like Hawks at the moment.

Jul 13, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn

Gunston kicked 2 goals in 4 games then didnt play again til Round 11.

Impey had a reasonable start but has been far better this year than last.

Mitchell yes. But I cant think of anyone else who instantly shone apart from Scrimshaw who really never was seen at GCS.

ZingerB

Club Legend
Sep 7, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
He and others linked to Port have been lining up to pot Chad since the club floated the idea of trading him.

Talking about his attitude, his issues, and they've continued right on through, almost like they were asked to convince the supporters that getting rid of him was the right idea.....

In fairness, Wingard is exactly the sort of player that would irk Cornes. Cornes is still probably fitter than him and probably would have won a couple of Brownlows with Wingard's skills. It tickles me a bit that even Clarko hasn't been able to beat the premadona out of him, but I don't think you have seen anywhere near the best of him yet. He might not have missed many games over the last 5 years, but he was notorious for getting injured 4-6 weeks before the start of the season. As long as his hammy isn't completely ****ed, he will build into the season like he always does.

hamohawk1

Premiership Player
Feb 18, 2011
AFL Club
Hawthorn

Out of curiosity what did we pay for lake and gibbo. Obviously would've paid a bit for burgers but the others would have come a bit cheap i would've thought.

We paid a lot more for chad it seems.

FWIW rumours floating around rough and chad have had a few more run ins than the one shown on field last week.

In fairness, Wingard is exactly the sort of player that would irk Cornes. Cornes is still probably fitter than him and probably would have won a couple of Brownlows with Wingard's skills. It tickles me a bit that even Clarko hasn't been able to beat the premadona out of him, but I don't think you have seen anywhere near the best of him yet. He might not have missed many games over the last 5 years, but he was notorious for getting injured 4-6 weeks before the start of the season. As long as his hammy isn't completely ******, he will build into the season like he always does.
Neither of the Cornes boys like Chad, he isn't a lad, doesn't live and breath footy 24/7, basically isn't their type of guy and I assume doesn't think their surname means anything (something he and I would have in common)

It's funny you call him a prima donna, he hasn't come across that way in any interview I've ever seen.

King_Tredrea

Premiership Player
Oct 1, 2007
Port Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Dubs, Bills, Chelsea FC
Neither of the Cornes boys like Chad, he isn't a lad, doesn't live and breath footy 24/7, basically isn't their type of guy and I assume doesn't think their surname means anything (something he and I would have in common)

It's funny you call him a prima donna, he hasn't come across that way in any interview I've ever seen.

Couldn’t agree more with all that.

Out of curiosity what did we pay for lake and gibbo. Obviously would've paid a bit for burgers but the others would have come a bit cheap i would've thought.

FWIW rumours floating around rough and chad have had a few more run ins than the one shown on field last week.
In their personal lives rough visiting chad at home?

Certainly not on the training track

OnceKicked50

Cancelled
Aug 15, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn

Are you able to elaborate mate? Is this legit?

I'm not going to judge Wingard just yet, but I feel a number of people have 'drunk the bathwater' so to speak. It was widely considered he had question marks around his character before we recruited him. I have posted a few times concerns this appears to remain an issue.

If what you are saying is correct, then it is a big deal for me. Roughy is the character of our great club, if this is true, it speak volumes for Wingard's character.

Once more, I have major reservations he presented fit in pre-season and his calf injury is a result of that. We are just a well managed club, and wouldn't hang him out to dry like Goodwin seemed so keen to do with May.

Mar 23, 2007
Where Premiership dreams are made...
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Man U, Canucks and 49ers

If Chad isn't doing things the Hawthorn way, it should be more than one player helping to educate and correct him. Would like to see Clarko and Stratts get involved. He seems very close to Impey and with Burgers being indigenous, level-headed and ex-Port, am sure he could also help smooth things over.

Oct 3, 2006
Manchester
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
EPL

I'm not going to judge Wingard just yet, but I feel a number of people have 'drunk the bathwater' so to speak. It was widely considered he had question marks around his character before we recruited him. I have posted a few times concerns this appears to remain an issue.

If what you are saying is correct, then it is a big deal for me. Roughy is the character of our great club, if this is true, it speak volumes for Wingard's character.

Once more, I have major reservations he presented fit in pre-season and his calf injury is a result of that. We are just a well managed club, and wouldn't hang him out to dry like Goodwin seemed so keen to do with May.

This has been my concern from day one. We gave up alot for JOM and there were many question marks re his knee. One thing that was never in question was his attitude which is absolutely first class. That trade has well and truly been vindicated

We have actually given up more than we did for JOM for an a grade player but one with perhaps at best an indifferent attitude to football. Is Chad merely just playing for the cash now ??? That is the million dollar question...

LOL - use rumours and innuendo, then take several huge jumps of illogic.

Conclusion: Wingard is useless and a troublemaker.

QED !!!

OnceKicked50

Cancelled
Aug 15, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
LOL - use rumours and innuendo, then take several huge jumps of illogic.

Conclusion: Wingard is useless and a troublemaker.

QED !!!

I don't see it in that way at all mate.

I think it's been widely accepted Port Adelaide had issues with Wingard, his work rate and attitude.

I've posted consistently why I haven't felt he has dispelled these concerns early into his time in brown and gold. I won't go into it again as it's been done.

But ultimately, past history is a really good indicator of future behaviour. I'm happy to say I have real concerns over his attitude. I'm curious to find out if this poster has legitimate information or not, hence why I asked. Hence why I said 'if true'.

I hope you got some nice cheap likes you were chasing brother.

I don't see it in that way at all mate.

I think it's been widely accepted Port Adelaide had issues with Wingard, his work rate and attitude.

I've posted consistently why I haven't felt he has dispelled these concerns early into his time in brown and gold. I won't go into it again as it's been done.

But ultimately, past history is a really good indicator of future behaviour. I'm happy to say I have real concerns over his attitude. I'm curious to find out if this poster has legitimate information or not, hence why I asked.
Widely accepted by who and based on what?

Back