Preview Pick 6, 2019 Draft: Who Do AFC Target?

3 options:

• Noah Anderson

• Matt Rowell

• The Best SA Boy Available (please name in thread)

• Hamish Special (Please name in thread)

• Your Personal Favourite (Please name in thread)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Luv to know what SOS was thinking.
Assume he thought Carlton would finish 15th or 16th and we would finish between 7th and 9th.

So pick 3 or 4 for a player they rated 6th last year + pick 8-10 this year seemed like a good deal for him.

*Anything I'm missing?

Someone in the inner circle of Norwood that i know believes we may target Taheny as our first choice but assumes we will be trading up or down for more picks in the first round

I have a feeling we won't have the number pick but 2 or 3 picks in the top 15

Someone in the inner circle of Norwood that i know believes we may target Taheny as our first choice but assumes we will be trading up or down for more picks in the first round

Don't forget the Carlton 2nd we have..We may try to upgrade that to an earlier teens pick to go after Cam as he might be in that 10-20 bracket come draft night

GWS will be in the market for points this year as they have 2 or 3 academy players.
The Essendon 1st is looking like a pick 5-9.
I think they will either want to move up or down.
Up to take a pick before Green or down to accumulate extra points.

Pick 6 is worth 3 picks in the late 20's early 30's.
We have 1 already. Would like to see us trade out to get enough currency to end up with picks 1/2, 6/8 and 19.

Thats alot of first round picks playing SANFL next year!:p

Maybe im alone in thinking that we just need that high end talent such as a Rowell or Anderson. The ability to acquire the best 18 year old in the country is not something the AFC has ever had the luxury of doing.

When we get 1 or 2 we keep it and get ourselves a superstar.

Then we play him next year.

We’ve got enough talent playing in the sanfl, don’t need more first rounders trying to get a game.
I'm 50/50 on this.

We also need to think about a mini-rebuild, as we have six or so first choice players leaving in the next 18 months, before you even think about trades or delistings.

GWS would trade both first round picks (minimum) for pick one or two.

We'll have a lot of talent from early in the draft for our 2021 team.

I'm 50/50 on this.

We also need to think about a mini-rebuild, as we have six or so first choice players leaving in the next 18 months, before you even think about trades or delistings.

GWS would trade both first round picks (minimum) for pick one or two.

We'll have a lot of talent from early in the draft for our 2021 team.
Shame harry himmelberg has resigned..you could maybe imagine GWS offering to trade us 2 x 1st rounders and big Harry for pick 1 and our 2nd rounder (not the carlton one). Then they get Anderson and green on points

Edit. I would prefer to use Pick 1 on the best available player or to try and get Lukosius or Rankine back

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Luv to know what SOS was thinking.
Assume he thought Carlton would finish 15th or 16th and we would finish between 7th and 9th.

So pick 3 or 4 for a player they rated 6th last year + pick 8-10 this year seemed like a good deal for him.

*Anything I'm missing?

I don't know that SOS thought that far into it. I doubt he did. I think he thought Liam Stocker was a gem, and that Calrton would move up the ladder this year, and maybe didn't rate us because he's one eyed or something. Who would know.

I think from his commentary at the time he thought they'd do better. He was using Melbourne as an example of how clubs don't stay down and implied Carlton would rise up the ladder this year.

Apparently on pure draft points value we win if this happens:

Blues 18th, Crows finish 14th or better
Blues 17th, Crows finish 11th or better
Blues 16th, Crows finish 6th or better
Blues 15th, Crows finish 3rd or better

That's just points though. There is daylight between pick 1 and 2, and the rest of the draftees this year. So either of pick one or two and we've shifted the value way beyond the points system.

It's only round eight still, but we're obviously killing it with this trade right now.

Shame harry himmelberg has resigned..you could maybe imagine GWS offering to trade us 2 x 1st rounders and big Harry for pick 1 and our 2nd rounder (not the carlton one). Then they get Anderson and green on points

Edit. I would prefer to use Pick 1 on the best available player or to try and get Lukosius or Rankine back

If you take how Hugh McCluggage is playing today and he was pick 3 in a average draft, How good is pick 1 or going to be this coming draft.

Problem is mate they all spruik the “I’m a one club player” “they gave me my shot I’m a xxx for life” lines when drafted

I think its stupid to suggest that you can get more than a vague idea of who might stay or go prior to drafting them. It just depends so much on what happens after they get drafted and unfortunately if the better they turn out, the more likely they are to receive big dollar offers to move back home. The main thing is to find the real "red flag" ones, and even then, there's a judgement call as to whether they're still worth the risk.

As an example, Gunston may have been seen as a higher risk talent, but at pick 29 is probably worth the risk, the issue was more we probably didn't extract enough value. Dangerfield almost similar, at pick 10 still worth drafting given we drafted the best player in that draft. Lawrence Angwin however was high risk and at pick 7 clearly wasn't worth the risk.

What we need to be looking at is ensuring we have the best culture possible to maintain players and then if they do leave, that we ensure we extract as much value as possible.

gold coast supporters saying if the crows went to GC and offered pick 1 or 2 for Luko, they should consider it lol

an opposition supporter said, you'd have to offer rankine with luko to get pick 1 or 2 from the crows.
Begs the question what realisticly pry them both out now?

Pick 1, Pick 19 (Carlton’s 2nd), 2020 1st rounder and Jenkins (we pay a % of his salary for rest of his contract if required)

Luko and Rankine with 2nd and 3rd rounder coming back

That would be good
Just think we’ll have to overpay to guarantee them both, being in contract and all

Suns caught between a rock and a hard place. If we want Rankine and Luko and end up having Carlton's pick 1, this would be their best chance to get anything of reasonable value for them.

Crows wont get Pick 1 again. AFL will invoke a new "SOS Rule". No trading of your 1st Rounder next year, when you are reigning wooden spooners.

Really bad deal for GCS. Basically 2/3 for 1 and another year wasted. They get another interstate kid with 1 who wants to go home, and around we go.

They need to hold our 2 to their contracts and try to keep them.

Of course I’d love to get them back in this trade period

I love all the fluff comments based on two poor to average performances. I guess they need to make themselves feel better about the horseshit trade they stupidly made.

I will do my own:
‘Hard as nails, great tank, team player and is a magnificent kick for goal’

There I just described Riley Knight.

Back