Coaching Staff Senior Coach: John Worsfold - Thank you John

Remove this Banner Ad

As Ant555 has said Caracella isnt interested in a senior coaching role

Clarkson would be a dream but it isnt happening
Of all clubs, he aint coming to the bombers with our history with him and Hawthorn.

Brett Ratten should be the one.
Spent good years under Clarkson and the difference he seems to have made to the Saints is huge.
Not to mention he had some reasonable success at Carton seeing the list he had (you can say that by looking at how the club crumbled when Malthouse took over).

I would be having a REAL coaches search this time, but Ratten would be my first invite.

Forget Clarkson he’s re-signed with Hawks.

We need a coach who’s more tactically astute, think Woosha relies more on Harding than other coaches.

Leadership issue is puzzling. Hooker and Hurley being left out of the group was/is baffling, complete head scratcher.

Look at Parker last night, he was like a man obsessed. You don’t necessarily have to be or act angry but players sometimes need to see a little bit of that. The smile with Myers is ok minor in the scheme of things but was still bloody odd and not a good look

I think it goes deeper than the coach. I do not agree with his player pecking order and also the lack of bend in doing something different.
Also the buck stops with him as far as getting the buy in and the players following his game plan which as far as the defence goes the players are still clearly clueless at certain times.
You could argue a few team selections but that is the same at every club. There are always one or two players who the punters want selected or not selected.

However Woosha has no control over the injury factor. Two years ago we had 60 goals from Joe, 40 goals from Raz and 40 goals from Hooker. Last year we we cobbled together some sort of group to cover Joe and Raz and added Stringer. Last night they had Stringer and Raz. Not tall targets.

He is also not at fault as far as some of the shocking turnovers we give up.

I think the massive over rating of the list and a couple of key injuries come into play.

Some fair points but the shocking turn overs part. Every team has shocking turn overs. Difference is 9/10 it costs us a goal, when opposition turn it over shockingly they have defensive mechanisms to cope and that goal ratio is reduced to 4 or 5 times out of 10. Coaches are still responsible for that.

When they go forward and bomb it long week after week to a nest of opposition players. Surely the coaching staff are instructing that idiotic systematic approach?

In 2016, I was very critical of him playing too many dud top up players instead if giving all the kids a go. But I took his argument we needed some senior experience and we did find Fantasia and Tippa. In 2017, he refused to play the kids - Laverde (when fit), Langford et al were treated poorly, but we made the 8 and I thought it was harsh to be too critical. Last year was a complete joke. We basically gave no kid a decent go and continued to play the same old tortoises. But we changed are game style in the second half of the season and at least it looked like maybe we are on the right track.

Expectations were extremely high this year - both internally and externally. We’ve not blooded enough kids, have no decent draft picks, so really this and next year are it. We’ve completely embarrassed ourselves. The coaching staff are incapable of getting the team to even play consistent football. Worsfold’s match day coaching is appalling.

He (and Xavier ‘all about the brand’ Campbell, who signed him up with the ridiculous and potentially costly contract extension) deserved to be marched out on Monday.
Football is a tough business. Players have to respect and fear a coach. Going into the dressing room after a loss should be a tough experience if you haven’t deliver. After 1983 grand final loss the dinner that night was ugly. Sheedy was furious. Football tactics move on but tough focused leadership does not.....payout this lot and toughen up. We’ve given up draft picks and Hooker and Hurley only have a couple of years left at best. We are running out of time here....

Some fair points but the shocking turn overs part. Every team has shocking turn overs. Difference is 9/10 it costs us a goal, when opposition turn it over shockingly they have defensive mechanisms to cope and that goal ratio is reduced to 4 or 5 times out of 10. Coaches are still responsible for that.

When they go forward and bomb it long week after week to a nest of opposition players. Surely the coaching staff are instructing that idiotic systematic approach?
True but we it is the back half blunders that the coach has no control over.

In 2016, I was very critical of him playing too many dud top up players instead if giving all the kids a go. But I took his argument we needed some senior experience and we did find Fantasia and Tippa. In 2017, he refused to play the kids - Laverde (when fit), Langford et al were treated poorly, but we made the 8 and I thought it was harsh to be too critical. Last year was a complete joke. We basically gave no kid a decent go and continued to play the same old tortoises. But we changed are game style in the second half of the season and at least it looked like maybe we are on the right track.

Expectations were extremely high this year - both internally and externally. We’ve not blooded enough kids, have no decent draft picks, so really this and next year are it. We’ve completely embarrassed ourselves. The coaching staff are incapable of getting the team to even play consistent football. Worsfold’s match day coaching is appalling.

He (and Xavier ‘all about the brand’ Campbell, who signed him up with the ridiculous and potentially costly contract extension) deserved to be marched out on Monday.

Absolutely spot on. We play kids as a token. We had opportunities to get Ridley half a dozen games last year but decided we'd stick with the old and try and make finals. Fail.

We started this year giving Baguley a game over Laverde. Absolutely zero impact on wins/losses yet no games into Laverde and now he's injured. Fail.

We gave Kelly a year too long. What was that supposed to achieve? Goddard another. We see what Clarko has done with Roughead, Hodge, Mitchell, etc, etc yet we can't bring ourselves to even question someone like Myers.

We always come back to the likes of Myers, Baguley and never question the the lack of effort and inconsistency of some senior guys.

Of all clubs, he aint coming to the bombers with our history with him and Hawthorn.

Spent good years under Clarkson and the difference he seems to have made to the Saints is huge.
Not to mention he had some reasonable success at Carton seeing the list he had (you can say that by looking at how the club crumbled when Malthouse took over).

I would be having a REAL coaches search this time, but Ratten would be my first invite.
Yep. Agree 100%

I am not 100% confident that Clarkson would be a good thing.

It's 1 thing to have a core that has grown up with his methods, and for him to keep topping up around the core, it's another for him to take a list that has been allowed to develop a stack of appalling habits and expect him to have the same success.

There will also be Clarkson's ego and belief that he can probably work miracles.

If he were to come in and cut the senior core away, it'll all be underpants almost guaranteed. Anything else and there is probably as good a chance as not that it does not work out.

I am not 100% confident that Clarkson would be a good thing.

It's 1 thing to have a core that has grown up with his methods, it's another for him to take a list that has been allowed to develop a stack of appalling habits and expect him to have the same success.

There will also be Clarkson's ego and belief that he can probably work miracles. If he comes cuts that senior core away, it'll all be underpants almost guaranteed. Anything else and there is probably as good a chance as not that it does not work out.
My fear if we went down the path of getting Clarkson would be, as is usual with our fanbase, that the expectation would be that everything just clicks straight away.

Part of why he's been so successful at Hawthorn is that he has moulded an entire list in the image he wants. If he comes into Essendon he needs to start that process from afresh and that will mean, probably, pain for a while. I don't think our fanbase has the patience for that because the appointment would be made with some of the messiah stench attached to it.

While he is quite evidently the best coach in the game, it's folly to assume some mysterious alchemy kicks in if that coach transfers to another club straight away.

You can imagine it though. In a hypothetical world where Clarkson is our coach next year, and we start the year 2-3, and our grizzled fans moaning about THIS ******* HAWTHORNE IMPORT!!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How do we know? No harm in the club asking.

Because he was asked a couple of seasons ago and has been approached by a few clubs in recent years. The fact that he has spent well over 10 years in the system and not once applied for a senior coaching role may give it away.

Whatever happens from here... I can’t see Worsfold being here next year. He will see out the year then that’s it.

Clarkson would be a good fit but he wouldn’t come to Essendon. Many more open minded people (most of us on here) would accept him as coach... but so many (particularly the ‘older’ generation... where most of the $$$ is) wouldn’t accept an ex-Hawthorn person with such a chequered history against our club as coach. I think he will stay at Hawthorn anyway so it’s pretty much a pointless conversation.

There doesn’t seem to be a perfect candidate at the moment but I think change is on the cards and will hopefully refresh the club. Despite recent performances the list is in a pretty good spot that someone with the right ideas/direction could turn around. I can’t see it happening under John Worsfold and company though.

Because he was asked a couple of seasons ago and has been approached by a few clubs in recent years. The fact that he has spent well over 10 years in the system and not once applied for a senior coaching role may give it away.
Yes but have you asked him in the last 5 minutes? You never know. I reckon we could auto dial his number every 5 minutes to make sure he hasn’t changed his mind. That should do it.

I say even if Caracella doesn't want to be a senior coach, we force him to be one anyway. Just lock him in the coaches box and say go. It's not like he or the AFL can stop us.

Last edited:
It wouldn't just be Woosh that has to go, the only one safe is probably Rutten since he has just arrived. But I think we would be all fine with a total coaching overhaul. There's definitely a lack of obvious candidates but I also wonder how much we would have to pay to have Ratten released? Not that matters since right now Sheeds seems more appealing than what we have!

I have zero faith that this won't be knocked on the head by some coterie powerbroker because he's a former Carlton player regardless of his coaching ability
You can see it a mile off. Ditto with Clarkson if he was a possibility.

That Kevin Sheedy was widely seen by everyone bar Richmond supporters as a yellow and black thug at the time we appointed him is of course lost on such knuckleheads.

just employ someone who can coach, don’t employ someone based on previous playing abilities. Employ someone that demands attitude for success and doesn’t accept excuses or mediocrity. Find the next Clarko.

You can see it a mile off. Ditto with Clarkson if he was a possibility.

That Kevin Sheedy was widely seen by everyone bar Richmond supporters as a yellow and black thug at the time we appointed him is of course lost on such knuckleheads.

If memory serves me correctly didn’t hawks have political issues with clarko appointment? I think Dermie was in Gary Ayres or Terry Wallace corner whereas dunstall chose with his head and not his heart???

Was similar to K Sheedy appointment as you mentioned.

After watching a completely fatalistic Mr Worsfold in his presser last evening, IMHO this is what I would do:

- Remove Mr Worsfold with Ratten (or another tough mongrel OFF the field) and given a chance to sort us out for rest of year. If he does, a one year contract with a chance for a another 2 IF he performs.
- Remove the word "managed" from EFC lexicon. They are effing AFL Footballers paid 100's of 1000's. Not pansy's....but then again. They are paid to play bloody Footy not be managed.
- Mid Season Draft, draft Heppell the Younger. Bottom of the pack inside mid who gets the ball unlike the next point.
- Sack Mr Myers. Plays out year in 2's.
- Zaka not far behind. Has no heart.
- Play Mynott, Clarke, Heppell the Younger, Ridley, Mossie, Begley, Langford etc immediately and all dead wood can kick the dew off.
- Bring in PwC to shake up the Club with a Top to Bottom Review of the joint starting with the effing "Medical" Team who it seems adept at producing copious amounts of soft tissue injuries. Not just 3 weekers but 10 weekers. It takes some type of skill to create a 10 week hammy for a poor bloke trying to get his game off the ground after only 5 minutes of playing after warming up correctly.
- Recruit some mongrels a la Merv, Mr Rotten, et all so all will know you play Essendon you will come up against some tough physical oppo.

But what would we know?
We are only the Members (A La Shareholders - ~80k of us) conned into supporting a soft appendage of a Football Club. :mad::mad::mad::mad:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back