Player Watch #37: Connor Menadue

Remove this Banner Ad

Honestly, I am not convinced Menadue is a backman. If not a midfielder I would even throw him forward but I agree he needs to improve his strength.

Seems to run in a lot of straight lines, what is his agility like?
No he is not a backman in the true sense of what is a backman. Neither is Simpson from Carlton or Bob Murphy. There are/were champs because they ran and carried and put their body on the line, especially Simpson. Syd Stack is a proper backman, but we will never really know if Menadue is going to become a Simpson type until he is given a few games at least. I know he has been played before, but never as a backman, or never for more than the odd game. Thought he showed some signs last week. He has stuff to work with at least.

No he is not a backman in the true sense of what is a backman. Neither is Simpson from Carlton or Bob Murphy. There are/were champs because they ran and carried and put their body on the line, especially Simpson. Syd Stack is a proper backman, but we will never really know if Menadue is going to become a Simpson type until he is given a few games at least. I know he has been played before, but never as a backman, or never for more than the odd game. Thought he showed some signs last week. He has stuff to work with at least.
In fairness, neither of them started as backmen either, Simpson started out on a wing and Murphy started at HF

I am no fan of menadue but the kid needs to get a good run of games and a certain position/role to play. His inclusion to replace Astbury was bizzarre and he wasn't the only player to be below par against bulldogs. In my view he should get the opportunity to play 4-5 games at a stretch and then be judged on.

I am no fan of menadue but the kid needs to get a good run of games and a certain position/role to play. His inclusion to replace Astbury was bizzarre and he wasn't the only player to be below par against bulldogs. In my view he should get the opportunity to play 4-5 games at a stretch and then be judged on.
AFL Player Ratings had him our 6th best player. 100% disposal efficiency. Was better than more than half his teammates.

AFL Player Ratings had him our 6th best player. 100% disposal efficiency. Was better than more than half his teammates.
He has some things to work with, unlike a lot of others that we have stuck with. Problem is somebody has to make way for Astbury. That seems a repeated pattern, always seems to be the bloke making way after a game or two.

I agree, but then he has to what wingers do and that is run the ball, which he seems to not want to do.

That's pretty much the thing that does me in for Connor. He has amazing speed and good skills. And so when he has an opening to tear through the opposition he usually just does a short kick. Take the man and break their structures, delivering a good ball to our forwards one out.

If he could just harness his tools better he'd be a really good AFL player. But he doesn't. His lack of contested ball doesn't bother me. It's his not trying to make 70-80 meter plays that does me in.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m surprising myself typing this but I’m alright with the coaching staff giving him another opportunity.

He was quite good when we bet Port and was unlucky to be dropped. Last week he was bang on average but so was most of the side, this’ll show him the coaching staff is giving him his opportunity and it’s now or never.

As much as some have put a line through him, I'd like to see him grab his chances tomorrow because it is players like him and Baker Balta Bolton CCJ RCD Egg-Smith English Garthwaite Graham Markov Naish Ross Stack & Turner that we need to succeed to ensure that we remain a genuine premiership contender over the next 4-5 years.

He doesn't need to dominate, just needs to play his role, which then means others can focus on playing their roles

As much as some have put a line through him, I'd like to see him grab his chances tomorrow because it is players like him and Baker Balta Bolton CCJ RCD Egg-Smith English Garthwaite Graham Markov Naish Ross Stack & Turner that we need to succeed to ensure that we remain a genuine premiership contender over the next 4-5 years.

He doesn't need to dominate, just needs to play his role, which then means others can focus on playing their roles
Had his chances. Frightened puppy who is not prepared to take the game on. Markov also not up to it. Focus should be on other youngsters yet to have the same opportunity. First and second year players are already providing more. Time to move Menadue and Markov on at seasons end.

Had his chances. Frightened puppy who is not prepared to take the game on. Markov also not up to it. Focus should be on other youngsters yet to have the same opportunity. First and second year players are already providing more. Time to move Menadue and Markov on at seasons end.
Markov would have to be traded as he a year left.

I remember seeing things during the 2017 season about Townsend and yet he ended up a premiership player by taking a final chance. Tomorrow might be Connors last crack at making it and all I want to see is him leave nothing in the tank.

I also remember seeing people saying that Jack Graham had gone past a few experienced players at the end of the 2017 season and early in the 2018 season. Now there are quite a few saying that he has been overtaken by a first year player in Ross.

FWIW, yes Menadue has had plenty of chances and often times his chances have ended because a best 22 player returned from injury or suspension so he made way. Not many times has he been dropped because he had played poorly.

BTW lets not forget that Houli Edwards & Grigg are all 30+, Cotchin turns 30 before next season and Dusty is 28 next month. We need to ensure that we have ready to go replacements for them so as I said need the likes of Connor to show they can be future players for us. Right now he just needs to play his role and he has done that the last 2 games he has played.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back