Player Watch #24 Dane Rampe

eTidRiiY.jpg

Dane Rampe

Player Profile

Dane Rampe was denied at several drafts and didn’t land a spot on an AFL list until the age of 22. But ever since being rookie-listed in November 2012, the key defender has seized his opportunity. Rampe made his AFL debut in Round 1, 2013 and played his 150th match in 2019. He’s an All Australian, an emergency for the greatest NSW team of all time and a Bob Skilton medallist, and he’s led the Swans as a co-captain with Josh Kennedy and Luke Parker since 2019. It doesn’t matter if the opposition’s best forward is a tall or small; so versatile and reliable is Rampe that he’s always assigned to the toughest task in defence. Draft history: 2013 Rookie Draft selection (Sydney) No. 37; 2013 AFL draft rookie elevation (Sydney) selection No. 90.

Dane Rampe

DOB: 02 June 1990
DEBUT: 2013
DRAFT: 2013
RECRUITED FROM: Eastern Suburbs (NSW)/University of NSW (NSW)

Last edited:

connolly

Club Legend
Jul 29, 2015
General Santos City, Mindanao
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Persis Solo, Davao Aguilas FC
Out of the box thinker for sure. Even Parker admitted on SEN that he wasn't sure what goes through his head at times.

Worsfold rated Myers a "1% chance" of kicking the goal in his presser, so no harm was done, but it was still a stupid risk he didn't need to take.
It could have and probably should have cost us the game, if the umpire applied the rule. It is something you might see in an under 12 park game. No doubt he is a good footballer. But he comes across as a complete mug lair. His abuse of the umpire was also out of bounds. For him to be made a captain beggars belief.

connolly

Club Legend
Jul 29, 2015
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Climbing the Goal post FFS!
Not sure what type of dumb campaigner brain fade Rampe had
Should have been a free to Essendon without a doubt
Would have been an awful way to lose a game
phew~!
He hasn't got one to fade. His comments about Longmire in the charity freeze last year were completely inappropriate. He not wacky he is just a wacko.

Jan 13, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
It could have and probably should have cost us the game, if the umpire applied the rule. It is something you might see in an under 12 park game. No doubt he is a good footballer. But he comes across as a complete mug lair. His abuse of the umpire was also out of bounds. For him to be made a captain beggars belief.

It was a strange and bizarre act, stupid even.

But I don't get why people keep saying it should have been a free kick. He climbed the goal post. He didn't "intentionally shake the goal post."

MC Bad Genius

No, not THAT MC Bad Genius. The other one.
Apr 15, 2008
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
He hasn't got one to fade. His comments about Longmire in the charity freeze last year were completely inappropriate. He not wacky he is just a wacko.
What did he say that was inappropriate? I couldn't remember anything and a quick google just suggested that he thought Longmire was still in good shape.

connolly

Club Legend
Jul 29, 2015
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
It was a strange and bizarre act, stupid even.

But I don't get why people keep saying it should have been a free kick. He climbed the goal post. He didn't "intentionally shake the goal post."

I guess the issue was what was Rampe's intention in climbing a goal post whilst an opponent was lining up a shot for goal?
"A free kick shall be awarded against a player or official who intentionally shakes a goal or behind post either before or after a player has disposed of the football."
We could always use the insanity defense for the idiot. The last person to climb a goal post in a senior AFL/VFL game was Mark"Jacko" Jackson. He could have certainly used the insanity defense. I was always amazed that Tommy Hafey didn't make Jacko a co-captain at Geelong.

connolly

Club Legend
Jul 29, 2015
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
What did he say that was inappropriate? I couldn't remember anything and a quick google just suggested that he thought Longmire was still in good shape.
Sure he did. He made an infantile and crude reference to Longmire's penis size in connection to a magnificent charity event organised by a dying man. Longmire got his nickname because he eats oats in the morning. Yes, yes call me old fashioned in that I expect something of a higher standard than a smutty , smirking, smart arsed 12 year old kid at the back of the classroom response from a Bloods captain.

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Sure he did. He made an infantile and crude reference to Longmire's penis size in connection to a magnificent charity event organised by a dying man.

Well we have all thought that before since there are only a few reasons why a player would get the nickname "Horse" and we know Longmire does not have a long face so that discounts that reason for him being called Horse.

Also while not appropriate, I doubt the dying man minded too much as dying men don't mind penis jokes just like living men like them.

Aug 25, 2008
Leeds/'Berra/Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
I guess the issue was what was Rampe's intention in climbing a goal post whilst an opponent was lining up a shot for goal?
"A free kick shall be awarded against a player or official who intentionally shakes a goal or behind post either before or after a player has disposed of the football."
We could always use the insanity defense for the idiot. The last person to climb a goal post in a senior AFL/VFL game was Mark"Jacko" Jackson. He could have certainly used the insanity defense. I was always amazed that Tommy Hafey didn't make Jacko a co-captain at Geelong.

His intention was obviously to get higher so he could touch the ball on the line if it made it. Silly thing to do since he’d probably get higher just jumping, but there’s better ways to shake a post than that.

stevie26

Club Legend
Mar 3, 2016
SE Asia
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney women's team
Agree that Dane should pull his head in re umpire comments. Could cost the team a vital 50/50 free (against him) later in the game.

Sep 25, 2011
AFL Club
Sydney

Abuse of an umpire? When where?

Swansujelly

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 6, 2009
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
NBA, Woodville,
Great player, but gets ahead of himself at times. Would love to see what he could do in the middle, but too important down back

You are all forgetting that they are trying to make this a family game, directing it at women and girls too. So to a young girl, that comment is not funny at all.

In addition, all of you must surely be aware of the discrimination legislation surrounding workplaces, broadcasting and advertising? Still thinking it's funny?

Rampe should apologise.

connolly

Club Legend
Jul 29, 2015
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Pretty simple solution just turn the microphones off. Can’t hear what they say then. Will stop the virtue signallers from being offended by what a player says to an umpire.
Its not virtue signalling. Where I come from if you said that to a bloke in a pub you would lose a mouthful of teeth. And you don't demean a person who can't retaliate such as an umpire in a workplace which is what a professional football field is. Didn't pass the punch in the head pub test. He is a smart arse.Not a captains bootlace.

connolly

Club Legend
Jul 29, 2015
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
The little girl comment was funny as **** and the goal post incident is seen at dozens of local matches around the country on a weekly basis.

Lighten up folks, this guy brings the entertainment value and backs it up with his footy.
No doubt he is a very good footballer. He is also our captain and climbing goal posts and costing us the game is about as funny as a kick in the pills.

connolly

Club Legend
Jul 29, 2015
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
His intention was obviously to get higher so he could touch the ball on the line if it made it. Silly thing to do since he’d probably get higher just jumping, but there’s better ways to shake a post than that.
A funnier, more creative and effective way would have been to crash that big bag of excrement Bellchambers into the post as the ball was coming down.

Back