Review Pies win a thriller (Blues 87-106 Pies)

Remove this Banner Ad

What a win, to display so much composure in the last 10mins to pull the game back onto our terms and pile on 5 goals was extraordinary. This team has really matured, a few seasons ago that would have been us with the “honourable loss”, losing the game in the last 10mins after leading for most of the game. The Pies gave come a long way, folks. I’m loving every minute of it.

Grundy was BOG by a country mile, pfffttt Cripps .... certainly Blues’ best but best on, yeah nah.

I just can't understand how Grundy's taps keep going straight to opposition players. One of life's great mysteries I guess. Moving on...

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Watch how Cripps runs through the cntr circle at pace on the move to shark, only pie player who does it regularly is Degoey which also happens to pair well with Grundy.

Grundy typically taps close to the contest so opposition mids have easier time being proactive around that if they cut through at pace, our mids tend to dawdle into the contest (more defensively ready to change directions then committing to it whole heartedly).
Degoey being an exception in that he often cuts through at pace also why he is so effective when put in there.

Grundy was BOG by a country mile, pfffttt Cripps .... certainly Blues’ best but best on, yeah nah
This. Grundy was brilliant today and I really liked his aerial work. Couple of goals forward and also saved more than a few by bringing the ball to ground in defence.

Thought we were abit stiff by the umpires tbh. How about that blatant below the knees contact on Thomas which could have sealed the game. Haven’t heard much about that or did I dream that?

Could have sworn he almost broke his leg

Yep that was a Clanger.

Thought the game was umpires well on balance. Of course Carlton nuffies will point to the free kick tally as if it’s meant to be equal every week. We got more frees because we earned them.

Thought we were abit stiff by the umpires tbh. How about that blatant below the knees contact on Thomas which could have sealed the game. Haven’t heard much about that or did I dream that?

24-8 man... we have no right to claim that we were stiff lol

WHE is a keeper.
Reid on shaky ground but I think deserves some opportunity to play alongside cox to see if it works.

Wills.... id like to cut him slack for it being his first senior game since for ever but it’s hard to do that. Unfortunately he was terrible. When he finally got free for some uncontested possessions I noticed his biggest knock..... he can’t kick.

I know Brown can’t kick either but at least he’s young and is growing into his body, and has other attributes!

WHE off form or off having tickets in the bank?

Because I don't believe you could make a valid argument for keeping him in off form since return from injury, been AWOL most games. Bobbing up when the game was dusted in last 2 mins does not warrant such unreserved thinking.

I do like his pace and when in form I'd agree with you but its been how long since he had an consistent 3-4 qtr impact?

WHE off form or off having tickets in the bank?

Because I don't believe you could make a valid argument for keeping him in off form since return from injury, been AWOL most games. Bobbing up when the game was dusted in last 2 mins does not warrant such unreserved thinking.

I do like his pace and when in form I'd agree with you but its been how long since he had an consistent 3-4 qtr impact?

His form is just around the corner. As the goal at the end of the match indicates. It was a solid contested mark and the fact it was in the last minute is irrelevant. Building after injury.id hold for the moment

Each to their own though. I’m not the type to go headhunting week after week for the scalp of the worst on ground.

Can somebody explain to me the Carlton mark on the goal line that was paid a point? Maybe I’m missing something .

It was either marked behind the line which is a goal
Or marked on the line which is a point blank kick for goal
The grab was a clean one touch mark.

Have I got my facts wrong or were Carlton dudded five points?
Went through the points not the goals.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Watch how Cripps runs through the cntr circle at pace on the move to shark, only pie player who does it regularly is Degoey which also happens to pair well with Grundy.

Grundy typically taps close to the contest so opposition mids have easier time being proactive around that if they cut through at pace, our mids tend to dawdle into the contest (more defensively ready to change directions then committing to it whole heartedly).
Degoey being an exception in that he often cuts through at pace also why he is so effective when put in there.

I get it re Cripps but I'm also not blind. Brody consistently dominates position and then palms off poorly. Sure it's complicated. Midfield positioning/tap ruckman decision making/midfield lack of 5 metre acceleration, creates a less than impressive track record for our centre square competitiveness. We just don't look very dominant 4 on 4 no matter the cattle. Harvey?

Last edited:

Haven’t you heard? That rule doesn’t exist in Collingwood games, unless it’s against a Collingwood player. Then it’s a free kick for the player falling on the stationary Pies players back.

Again JT's blazing away and not looking for options is really starting to P?ss me off. Multipul times again today he was clear and didn't hit easy targets that presented or were in space. In the last 4 min he could have iced the game by dropping his eyes and hitting 1 of 2 targets 20m out directly in front.

Out: JT
In: Daicos
Did JT have to kick to when this took place?
Was JT under pressure but still went in hard as nails to win the ball and try a shot on goal?

What a win, to display so much composure in the last 10mins to pull the game back onto our terms and pile on 5 goals was extraordinary. This team has really matured, a few seasons ago that would have been us with the “honourable loss”, losing the game in the last 10mins after leading for most of the game. The Pies gave come a long way, folks. I’m loving every minute of it.

Grundy was BOG by a country mile, pfffttt Cripps .... certainly Blues’ best but best on, yeah nah.

Yeah, nah -- Cripps was BOG by your country mile. He was awesome. Almost won the game for them singlehandedly.

This. Grundy was brilliant today and I really liked his aerial work. Couple of goals forward and also saved more than a few by bringing the ball to ground in defence.

Grundy BOG for me and Pendles a very close 2nd.

Again JT's blazing away and not looking for options is really starting to P?ss me off. Multipul times again today he was clear and didn't hit easy targets that presented or were in space. In the last 4 min he could have iced the game by dropping his eyes and hitting 1 of 2 targets 20m out directly in front.

Out: JT
In: Daicos

Why would you bring in Daicos? He get 8 disposals last game he played and had zero impact. Might as well bring in Oxley.

OXLEY!!!!!

Spare a thought for the Gimp here re.. still floating on cloud 9 after Liverpool's 4-0 win over Barcelona.. this game today.. and the epl championship to be decided Monday morning between Liverpool and Man City.. and getting shitfaced in between all of that.. I feel like I've been put through the ringer re..

I've had it.. but wouldn't have it any other way.

You'll never walk alone!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back