The worst football in a generation

Loken

Reality Educator
Apr 15, 2019
AFL Club
Essendon
Got nothing to do with the AFL it's the coaches. They are the biggest blight on the game.

All they care about in Winning, so they use the safest way to do that, by focusing on defense.

How exactly is the AFL responsible for 30+ players around the ball at all times?

Jul 5, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Victory,Napoli,Liverpool,Penguins
Got nothing to do with the AFL it's the coaches. They are the biggest blight on the game.

All they care about is not losing, so they use the safest way to do that, by focusing on defense.

How exactly is the AFL responsible for 30+ players around the ball at all times?

FTFY

CrowInFiji

Club Legend
Sep 29, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
Actually if you rewatch games from 5, 10, 15 years ago as i do you will see the game actually looks remarkably similar in terms of flow, skills and such. All that is different are the rule interpretation.

Your grievance is probably related to the fact your team is now rubbish.

Aug 11, 2004
Under the Punt Rd Stand
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
Hocking, McLachlan and the AFL Board should all resign. Their arrogance in changing the games has resulted in the most congestion, the lowest scoring and the most boring football in a generation.

It is worse than last year but the commentators are silent. Apparent they were wrong last year with all their summits and panic.

Hocking, McLachlan and the AFL Board should all resign. Their arrogance in changing the games has resulted in the most congestion, the lowest scoring and the most boring football in a generation.

You don’t remember the WCE/Swans GF’s? It was like rugby.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney

Disagree. McLachlan and the AFL wanted to make real changes that would actually help the game, but so many people got so upset at even the idea of major rule changes that the AFL backed down almost entirely, bringing in a couple of token rule changes that have not really changed anything.

Had the AFL been allowed to bring in the rules they wanted to bring in then perhaps we would have a better product today.

Loken

Reality Educator
Apr 15, 2019
AFL Club
Essendon
It is worse than last year but the commentators are silent. Apparent they were wrong last year with all their summits and panic.

How were they wrong in trying to find a way to improve the game from the way the coaches have tuned it into a game of congestion?

Sep 13, 2015
Hillary Step
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
76ers

All they care about in Winning, so they use the safest way to do that, by focusing on defense.

Damn coaches, always worried about winning.

Aug 27, 2014
spacetime
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
there are no other teams worthy

Agree with 80% of what you said, but the AFL are indeed responsible for 30 plus players around the ball so often.
They stupidly doubled the interchange from 2 to 4 in mid to late 90's and the chickens have come home to roost once the coaches realised you could play the game as 22 v 22 rather than the pure 18 v 18 it was meant to be. They just treat it as flood the other end of ground unless you got complete control and rotate from bench to have your freshest 18 players on field at any time to maintain the ability to congest the field as much as possible. If they did not make the monumental mistake and not remove the ability to continue to abuse the original intention of interchange bench this would not be possible to maintain and more attacking tactics would have time spent in training drills.

Loken

Reality Educator
Apr 15, 2019
AFL Club
Essendon
Agree with 80% of what you said, but the AFL are indeed responsible for 30 plus players around the ball so often.
They stupidly doubled the interchange from 2 to 4 in mid to late 90's and the chickens have come home to roost once the coaches realised you could play the game as 22 v 22 rather than the pure 18 v 18 it was meant to be. They just treat it as flood the other end of ground unless you got complete control and rotate from bench to have your freshest 18 players on field at any time to maintain the ability to congest the field as much as possible. If they did not make the monumental mistake and not remove the ability to continue to abuse the original intention of interchange bench this would not be possible to maintain and more attacking tactics would have time spent in training drills.

You are right but i was actually talking about footy these days. Funny thing is that the rule change to extend the bench size came from pressure from the coaches, in particular Sheedy.

Aug 27, 2014
spacetime
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
there are no other teams worthy
You are right but i was actually talking about footy these days. Funny thing is that the rule change to extend the bench size came from pressure from the coaches, in particular Sheedy.
I know. I remember their talk was it would extend the playing careers of champs like Greg Williams and Robert Harvey types but they do not foresee it would eventually be abused rather than add to the game as a spectacle. I am still amazed how obvious it is to fix and remove lots of the congestion simply by returning the game to it's real 18 v 18 nature it meant to be but nope, we have this wankfest of spend time trying a zillion other little things to try to undo the mess rather than address the root cause.

The coaches should never ever be the ones to add new rules to the game. Their priority is not the game as a spectacle at all. It is to be control freaks and remove as much risk as possible, The more big money involved the more the game plans become about control and less about risk taking to win.
I am still optimistic that in time the penny will drop and they truly address the interchange system bastardised. Once all these things they tried have proven to have such minimal impact they will be forced to address the elephant sitting there all along.

Last edited:

newcs

Club Legend
May 16, 2005
Geelong
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
geelong
I remember similar things being said around the mid 2000's.
Enter Geelong 2007 who then made an art of coast to coast goals.
My favorite was one was in 2011 where the ball was about to got out in the Melbourne forward pocket, Jimmy Bartel kept it in when deft little hand pass on the boundary line before you knew it Stevie J was kicking a banana kick through the goals from directly in front.

Back