Review Hard Fought 16 Point Win Over The Lions

Remove this Banner Ad

Will definitely bank the 4 points and sometimes you have to be lucky.

The win is tempered a little by the knowledge that had the Lions kicked straight in the first half the game may well have been over at HT and not in our favour. They were also a man down for most of the game. Still, swings and roundabouts. We've handed a couple over ourselves this year.

Next time we meet I think we'll go a lot harder a lot earlier. A worthy opponent the Lions. Good to get a sight and a win at this time of the year.

Good win but crikey we need to do something about the forward line. Apart from Naughton and Lloyd the rest are making up the numbers. Libba is not a forward, Gowers is being paid under false pretences, McLean was very, very slow and mostly unsighted and the other part timers didn't contribute much when forward either. If any forward plays well tomorrow they should be seriously considered. Disliked Hayes' first half but he worked hard in the second and provided a contest.
Hunter was huge for us today, did everything to assist the team and then more so. Dunkley was very strong in the clinches and Bont and Macrae were also very good. Naughton is a star but we know that already. Trengove gave away a lot of frees but he battled hard all day and never allowed the Brisbane rucks to dominate.

Thankfully Brisbane did not hurt us early in the game when our players were drawn to the ball
like bees to honey. Aaron Naughton fought well when it looked like Harris Andrews had run
him a warm bath up until the stroke of half time. Brisbane had a mental block for the first
part of the third quarter and we were able to capitalise. Other than that it was an inside
leaning arm wrestle in the second half which played into our hands. We really should be well
inside the top four as this is the easiest section of our draw. I guess we will just have to pick
up the games we dropped early in the year. It could also be a good thing that English had an
unplanned rest even though it should have been planned anyway.

Gave away 5 free kicks which was costly but was otherwise good.

I don't think a balanced backline includes him, Cordy and Fletch. When English is back he or Fletch will go. Probably Fletch.

I agree. Trengove today did no favours for Fletch with the way he played.
It’s a real upside though, English and Trenners combo will cause havoc for oppositions.

I thought Suckling was awesome. Really kept us chugging along in the first half. A bit quieter in the second, but still did his part.
6 tackles too. More than Libba, Macrae, Bont, Wallis. Really good first game back.

Very happy with that win. Thought Brisbane were really good that first quarter and a half and their 43-27 lead was well deserved. From that moment on we were excellent and took most of our chances for the most part.

Gowers is in this team under sufferance. He plays a role but he plays it poorly. If Bev believes neither Schache or Lewis Young are up to it, I would sooner see us try Jong, Williams, or Dale. Gowers has physical attributes which should help him in the role but his psychical presences, tackling, bursting thru packs is not there and absent the physical side he is liability. Jong is at least quick enough to apply defensive pressure and Dale and Williams have some footy nous.

Not saying that they can't make the grade but, to my eye, at the moment, neither Hayes or Young are AFL standard.
Hayes fumbles under body pressure and can't retain the ball. In a contested one on one battle he is error prone.
Young, whilst defensively solid provides nothing going forward. The kid has something, so I am optimistic about his future, but right now he is on a steep learning curve that hinders our immediate results.

As much as I love Dickson, he and Lloyd are too alike to be in the same team at the same time. It was Lloyd's most effective game today. He looked dangerous for the entire game and was better defensively.

The Lions gave Caleb no chance to play the distributor role. He has been pivotal for us this season and to win the game under those circumstances is fantastic for the team's confidence.

Mclean like Dunkly before him, is being wasted up forward. McLean is now in the worst form of his AFL career. From what I could see from the TV coverage he was asked to play a crumbing forward role. We simply don't have anyone on our list, who is AFL standard, to play the role. Mclean is a quality mid-fielder and just like Dunkley needs to go back where he can ply his trade. The obvious solution is to give McLean the time Wallis has in the middle and Wallis plays forward where he at least has some natural knack for being in the right place playing deep forward. Wallis also butchers his kicks when on the ball, whilst McLean has the knack of retaining possession for us.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Satisfying effort...good win. This week again I'm a happy camper.

Excellent win

3 or 4 players make a difference methinks

Playing a lot better now, better balance

Playing on at all costs is our go; stopping & propping across the centre line makes me cringe

Great win - go dogs

On a side issue it’s good to see Silvers Circus in town

Gowers is in this team under sufferance. He plays a role but he plays it poorly. If Bev believes neither Schache or Lewis Young are up to it, I would sooner see us try Jong, Williams, or Dale. Gowers has physical attributes which should help him in the role but his psychical presences, tackling, bursting thru packs is not there and absent the physical side he is liability. Jong is at least quick enough to apply defensive pressure and Dale and Williams have some footy nous.

Not saying that they can't make the grade but, to my eye, at the moment, neither Hayes or Young are AFL standard.
Hayes fumbles under body pressure and can't retain the ball. In a contested one on one battle he is error prone.
Young, whilst defensively solid provides nothing going forward. The kid has something, so I am optimistic about his future, but right now he is on a steep learning curve that hinders our immediate results.

As much as I love Dickson, he and Lloyd are too alike to be in the same team at the same time. It was Lloyd's most effective game today. He looked dangerous for the entire game and was better defensively.

The Lions gave Caleb no chance to play the distributor role. He has been pivotal for us this season and to win the game under those circumstances is fantastic for the team's confidence.

Mclean like Dunkly before him, is being wasted up forward. McLean is now in the worst form of his AFL career. From what I could see from the TV coverage he was asked to play a crumbing forward role. We simply don't have anyone on our list, who is AFL standard, to play the role. Mclean is a quality mid-fielder and just like Dunkley needs to go back where he can ply his trade. The obvious solution is to give McLean the time Wallis has in the middle and Wallis plays forward where he at least has some natural knack for being in the right place playing deep forward. Wallis also butchers his kicks when on the ball, whilst McLean has the knack of retaining possession for us.
Didnt Wallis time get swapped for dunkley time already? How many times can we swap Wallis out for a quality mid playing out of position.

Seems to me we have more mids than we need but most of them can't play forward.

That crowd excitement when Naughton launches at the ball. God we've missed that over the years.

Dunno if you were at the ground, but there was a definite buzz going around in the outer whenever he went near the ball in the second half.

He was the subject of much complimentary discussion by supporters of both sides.

He's rolled gold and very soon will have the same exalted status us the Bont as head and shoulders above everybody else in the side.

Didnt Wallis time get swapped for dunkley time already? How many times can we swap Wallis out for a quality mid playing out of position.

Seems to me we have more mids than we need but most of them can't play forward.
Wallis still goes in at times. He's really the odd one out for me. I prefer all our other mids to have time in the middle, but he does a good job when he's forward. Would certainly rather McLean get the remaining midfield minutes Wallis has been getting. McLean's barely set foot in the middle all year.

Beveridge presser the other week talking about how certain players have physical attributes to play in other positions... just thought it was nice that he decided to chuck Dunkley in the place where his physical attributes actually shine through... just after I traded him out of my Supercoach. Silly me. Silly Bev.

Really enjoyed the defensive pressure in the second half in particular.

Maclean is a concern. I thought he’d be a useful small forward but he’s pretty much proven he isn’t. I don’t know whether it’s since he bulked up, but he slips over more than any other player in the league. Including Lachie Hunter.

I was really annoyed to see Gowers taking spells around the contest in the 4th term. That should literally never be allowed when you consider the embarrassment of riches we have in that department.

Loads of positives today. Trengove was so important for us. Gave away some stupid free kicks but he’s plugging holes and doing it very well.

Suckers slotted straight back in. Man I love that left foot.

People still unsure about Lachy Young. I think that was his best game. Far more composed on the ball and good defensively.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back