Delisted #4 Ryan 'The Clamps' Clarke

uITEbjYC.jpg

Ryan Clarke

Player Profile

The Sydney Swans recruited Ryan Clarke from North Melbourne ahead of season 2019 and he’s since shown promising signs as a young midfielder. The number four is a prolific ball-winner and can also be used to blanket a star on-baller, which he proved last year in shutting down gun Kangaroo Shaun Higgins and classy Magpie Steele Sidebottom. Clarke played 14 senior games in a stop-start 2019 campaign and has set his sights on cementing a spot in coach John Longmire’s best 22 this year. Draft history: 2015 National Draft selection (North Melbourne), No. 31 overall

Ryan Clarke

DOB:17 June 1997
DEBUT:2016
DRAFT:2015
RECRUITED FROM: Rowville (Vic)/Melb Grammar (Vic)/Eastern U18/North Melb

Last edited:
"I like Mike Pyke" in his very first year was a better disposer of the ball than Ryan. In his time with us he learned to improve his disposal each year. Maybe there is hope for the young fella.

RW

Cancelled
10k Posts Sydney Forum Service Medal Sydney Swans - Jake Lloyd 2020 Player Sponsor BeanCoiNFT Investor Sydney Swans - Harry Cunningham 2019 Player Sponsor Ex-Moderator Sydney Swans - Gary Rohan Player Sponsor 2018 Sydney Swans - George Hewett Player Sponsor 2017 Sydney Swans - Callum Mills Player Sponsor 2016 Podcaster
Jan 11, 2003
AFL Club
Sydney
From what I've seen so far, his disposal isn't that great even at NEAFL level.

The only way I can see him making it is as a tagger, perhaps releasing Hewett to play a more attacking role.

J_Moore

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 8, 2008
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
From what I've seen so far, his disposal isn't that great even at NEAFL level.

The only way I can see him making it is as a tagger, perhaps releasing some Hewett to play a more attacking role.

Lacks the strength and size to tag effectively, I think.

Edit: Actually looked up his numbers. He’s taller and heavier than i realised. He’s just seemed smallish to me

RW

Cancelled
10k Posts Sydney Forum Service Medal Sydney Swans - Jake Lloyd 2020 Player Sponsor BeanCoiNFT Investor Sydney Swans - Harry Cunningham 2019 Player Sponsor Ex-Moderator Sydney Swans - Gary Rohan Player Sponsor 2018 Sydney Swans - George Hewett Player Sponsor 2017 Sydney Swans - Callum Mills Player Sponsor 2016 Podcaster
Jan 11, 2003
AFL Club
Sydney
I concede I may be clutching at straws in an attempt to be positive.

Dunno why people are shitting on a kid who only cost us pick 61. Even if he never plays AFL level again he took a nothing spot on our list. His NEAFL form was solid, backing him up l to keep improving

It may have cost us nothing to get him on the list, but if he is say selected and then plays with a lack of composure or skill or awareness, then he's costing us. He's costing us a spot in the best 22 that could go to someone who offers more. So it's not like we can just be like, oh well, Clarke didn't cost us anything so no harm done!

Oct 2, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
It may have cost us nothing to get him on the list, but if he is say selected and then plays with a lack of composure or skill or awareness, then he's costing us. He's costing us a spot in the best 22 that could go to someone who offers more. So it's not like we can just be like, oh well, Clarke didn't cost us anything so no harm done!
No player costs a spot in the best 22.... He's earned his call ups

Playing as a negating type is the only way I can see Clarke becoming a good player. He’s the perfect type for it because his endurance means he should be able to stick a tag all game and run with the best, plus it means he can focus more on being a hard nut than a ball-winner.

But the real benefit would be freeing Hewett up, which should happen anyway with or without Clarke IMO.

MC Bad Genius

No, not THAT MC Bad Genius. The other one.
Apr 15, 2008
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Not sure if I imagined it or not, but there seemed a couple of times when another Swans player seemed reluctant to give him the ball when he was the outlet player at the back of a pack. That being said, he also seemed to kick to his limitations more than in previous games.

He was an integral cog to us dismantling North Melbourne and he should rightly be proud of the job he did on Higgins. Like others have posted, hopefully this frees Hewett up a bit.

Jun 19, 2011
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Wallabies
Looks like he could take the Ben Jacobs route to becoming a regular senior player.

With that said, I'm not sure a developing side like what we have right now has a lot of use week in and week out for a tagging player. If we were competing as a finals side, I could absolutely see him staying in. Wouldn't be surprised at all if Clarke went out again soon.

Covered 17.3km last night. If the records are to be believed (since around 2017) it was the equal 12th highest since they started recording the stat (at least visibly to the supporters).
And played 96% time on ground. Certainly his fitness can not come into question

Back