Strategy While we’ve been tearing our hair out - has Don completely changed the gameplan?

Remove this Banner Ad

I was at the game and I really enjoyed it even while it was going on. Would have been nice to see some more scoring, but just seeing a real hard, tight, contested game has its own sort of appeal, too. I was talking about it to my mates at half time - we couldn't remember seeing a game that low scoring that was also actually that good a game. It was just a strange game all round, really, and that's before you even get into the umpiring.

+1

I don't think much he's really changed except Pyke has found he can give clearer directions more often from the sideline.

I think with the limitation on runners, it has helped keep the team focused and more composed.
This 1000%

Made a point in a presser a couple weeks ago that he could eyeball players to get their attention and point across.

Talking down the phone, the player is usually watching the game at the same time.

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

I really have no idea about footy strategy. .

Don't worry mate, I got you covered in strategy....who better to know that than me?

Ask away :)

It's 3 points for a kick between the two uprights correct?

I think a lot of us have underrated out improvements in our attacking game, but whilst obviously we have been solid in the defensive aspect.

In the first 4 games, we had 92 scoring shots to the opposition’s 104 scoring shots.
In the next 3 games, we had 67 scoring shots to the opposition’s 43 scoring shots.

Scoring percentage-wise, we were operating at around 90% in the first month, then we turned it around to operate at around 150%. It’s also important to notice the 3 recent wins were against teams who were in the top 8 for their respective rounds and in relative good form (Suns, Saints, Freo).

Also the loss of Jacobs, Doedee, Milera, Seeds had made us go wobbly and taking our time to adjust and cover for their usual output. We seem to be adjusting better and playing more as a unit.

I know a lot of people were not entertained by Sunday's game, but I sat and watched the replay last night and without the stress of not knowing the result quite enjoyed it.

At the game it was very tense, and again that is part of the theatre of such a contest.
I normally hate watching games knowing the score but this one was perfect for it. I watched it 24 hours late expecting a combined 80 odd point game to be a snorefest. Without the anxiety of wanting the game breaking lead to open up, I was able to enjoy the contest. Both teams were great but we were better and it was unrelenting, ferocious football. Best I've seen us play this year.

I normally hate watching games knowing the score but this one was perfect for it. I watched it 24 hours late expecting a combined 80 odd point game to be a snorefest. Without the anxiety of wanting the game breaking lead to open up, I was able to enjoy the contest. Both teams were great but we were better and it was unrelenting, ferocious football. Best I've seen us play this year.

Hate to say it but don't try watching the second quarter at 3:30am, put me out like a light.

Just quietly.
Hiw many people have changed their assessment of Clark as a coach seeing RoB do well.

Not to mention his work with the Womans Team.
<puts up hand>

Correlation does not imply causation.

My point was (and is) Power are not a good side - Showdowns don't show form - our actual standing / ranking will be shown in the 5 weeks after the showdown.

I have no idea why that belief showdowns don't show form has any traction whatsoever.

Like any match ups, the team who is higher up in the ladder wins the majority of matches.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fantastic discussion and it's been fascinating to see the switch in style.

Coupled with minor changes in selection policy and some different language from most of our assistant coaches and it's been a strange start to the season.

I think ROB is also starting to assert his style which again changes how we play. We now have a ruckman who is quicker across the deck and wins the ground ball, which means our mids aren't all drawn to the contest and get on the outside more.

There's still work to be done but it looks OK thus far.

I think we have changed mindset as well as structure. There seems to be a definite mindset of physical contact on your opponent. Even if just a little bump or push. This is probably helped by having four guys come in over the past month or so who naturally play that way in CEY, Greenwood, RoB and Hberg. Jacobs and Jenkins were both not great defensively. We now have more guys with a hunt the ball/man mentality.

RoB has changed our clearance work. He gives a second, third and fourth effort. Not just offensively but also defensively. He really does play like a tall mid who can Ruck. Not in the same calibre as Grundy but a similar style. He ain't no dinosaur. Which I though he was.

Also seeing M Crouch and Sloaney switch from inside mid to defensive sweeper instead of rssting up forward. Sloane spent a decent amount of time on Lobb defensively.

RoB having a decent tank and tackle ability has seen him stand some of the oppositions bigger midfielders between taps. I noticed him running with Fyfe a bit. With CEY rolling off Fyfe and Mundy.

I kind of wonder the affect of losing Seed and Milera has seen us go down this more contested route. We have limited HB weapons at the moment, although Smithers is in great form and Laird is playing into better form. Laird is probably benefitting from the switch in our inside mids resting down back instead of forward.
As much as I dont want to start off with a negative in a thread thats had some good tactical discussion ; but the 2 names mentioned in Jacobs and Jenkins need to be discussed openly.

Great clubmen and have done some sterling stuff over the last 4-8 years. But its time. Its time to move on and I hope that the AFC can see this and the omitting of Jenkins is the first salvo by Don . The next step is to have the chat with Sam , either retirement or SANFL until RoB bursts a vessel.

Just the change in game style or at least the application of it is directly linked to those 2 missing games. Its obvious

Do you reckon clubs reacted to the potential effects of 666 by concentrating on defence, or did the football zeitgeist just drift towards the miserly as, ironically, the AFL tried to manufacture more open zones?
Naa. I reckon that the defensive scores are an over-reaction to the game changes. We wouldn’t be having these scores this season if they left the bloody game alone and let the ebb and flow of tactic versus countermeasure rule the roost.

The measure of how defensive the game has gone is an indication of how seriously the coaches took the change, and the ‘upsets’ are more a reflection of what teams adapted better over the summer.
Is this defensive style with us for the season do we think, or an aberration? I tend think we need to change our expectations from seeing 100 point scores.

Interestingly we have scored over 100 only once this year, yet we sit 6th and we have the 5th highest %.

I figure the coaches thought the 666 was going to open a lot of space and directed a lot of energy and thought in how to counter it. Will it be relaxed?Maybe, possibly. Once the forward coach works out a way to bypass the defensive structures. Swings and roundabouts

Very good thread with several interesting and insightful posts :thumbsu::thumbsu::).
I didn't realise that Sloane and Mrouch were getting so many possessions in our D50 or thereabouts. It's a significant statistic, a major change and helps to explain our tight defensive points-against.

I'll take a one-point win, but really hope the Crows belt PA tomorrow night and get their % up around 125+.

The lead foot with a sick cat said about 4 weeks ago, our problem was we were playing to loose. He said we would be right if the defenders tightened up.

Looks like he was.

We're learning how to play finals football, football that wins grand finals

We have a quality coaching group. Many new, takes time to gel. Forwards struggling to keep up.

I like the way we move the ball on at all costs,

Funny that a lot on our board where blaming Ross Lyon for the style of the game against the Dockers. Reckon Don and the coaching staff had an equal, if not more of a say, in how that game played out.

Good post and spot on. We are super defensive this year and as supporters we just have to get used to ugly wins. At the end of the day it doesn't matter as long as we win.

So where’s that “the next coach” or whatever it was called thread now.....?
I've always maintained Pyke is the biggest asset we have at the club.

Few others could've got this list to a GF.

Coming down to the bench and cutting out the middleman was a masterstroke.

You can see how engaged the players are when he talks to them directly. They believe in him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back