Review Pies win a thriller (Blues 87-106 Pies)

Remove this Banner Ad

Yep this. We played as well as they allowed us to play. Should be commended for their performance. Their pressure and cleanliness were sensational. Luckily their skills didn't match. We were also lucky they couldn't sustain it and a few players extracted the digit late in the last.

We played as well as our laziness and lack of committed in the 1st half allowed us too.

Carlton wanted the ball more and we had a lot of lazy 2 step kicks straight to Carlton players. There was none of the urgency or dash that we had against Port the week before, probably thought we could rock up and win by 10 goals without needing any bruises

Got a lot of work to do if we want to flag. We are playing nice, social footy abs are lacking the killer instinct. Being ruthless to your opponent is what all champion sides have.

North bear the crap out of Carlton physically and we needed to do the same, put them back in their heels and crush their spirit early.

Instead we played cute, possession footy, gave them a sniff BD nearly paid the price.

Did the same v Essendon when we did not put them away. Being nice guys and good humans is comnendable but when you take to the field you have to seek to crush inferior opposition.

Long way to go but we need to get ruthless.

Hard to blame Phillips for trying. First one he was trying to man the mark. Second one the Carlton player changed direction to ensure Phillips was in his way. Stupid rule that players exploit to get a 100m penalty

On SM-G935F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Phillips should know to just bugger off after a 50m unless he's sufficiently forward of the person who has received it and won't infringe.

With Beams, Adams, Cox, Aish & Sier out to injuriesand Varcoe(omitted) , we did reasonably well to storm home.
Good to see we have another gear left in the 4th qtr.
WHE is still rusty. Reid will have to do a Roughead( Hawks version that is ).
Kicking for goal is a worry but we also seem to create some of them out of nothing nowadays.
I think Reid over his journey has been a great servant to the club and his body let him down unfortunately. Must run in the family (his brother in Sydney). Plied his craft upfront and became AA as a backman ala Taz. I think now he’s servicable and a good backup like Goldy but time will come to hang up the boots on a fine career end of this year.

Phillips should know to just bugger off after a 50m unless he's sufficiently forward of the person who has received it and won't infringe.
I am at the point where I don’t understand what the rule is anymore. To me it just looked like Phillips swapped on the mark with someone else, as happens 100 times a game.

As for the extra 50m, where is he meant to run to get to the new mark downfield? Or does it have to be someone else? Or does it have to be someone who can outsprint the recipient of the 50m, sort of like a mini-game GF sprint during play? I don’t pretend I know what’s going on with these yearly rule changes.

Got a lot of work to do if we want to flag. We are playing nice, social footy abs are lacking the killer instinct. Being ruthless to your opponent is what all champion sides have.

North bear the crap out of Carlton physically and we needed to do the same, put them back in their heels and crush their spirit early.

Instead we played cute, possession footy, gave them a sniff BD nearly paid the price.

Did the same v Essendon when we did not put them away. Being nice guys and good humans is comnendable but when you take to the field you have to seek to crush inferior opposition.

Long way to go but we need to get ruthless.

You mean the way we were when we pumped Port and Brisbane? We are doing a fair job sitting second on the ladder with good percentage. It's a very even, tough comp. Give the boys a break.

Last edited:
I am at the point where I don’t understand what the rule is anymore. To me it just looked like Phillips swapped on the mark with someone else, as happens 100 times a game.

As for the extra 50m, where is he meant to run to get to the new mark downfield? Or does it have to be someone else? Or does it have to be someone who can outsprint the recipient of the 50m, sort of like a mini-game GF sprint during play? I don’t pretend I know what’s going on with these yearly rule changes.
It’s a ridiculous rule change that is always going to cause confusion but he did infringe. He had to not follow. Basically players up the field have to be alert and cover the mark or it basically becomes a 50 metre penalty and advantage

The player who wins the 50 has to be able to play on whenever he wants, so you can't be in the protected zone or blocking him from doing that at any point.

The player who wins the 50 has to be able to play on whenever he wants, so you can't be in the protected zone or blocking him from doing that at any point.
Cheers, so it’s basically like netball now and you are effectively “out of play”.

I wouldn't even call this one a thriller... it was a snooze fest for large parts just waiting for some kind of ascendancy to develop and then it looked like the unthinkable was going to happen and then we finally put the foot down but it it wasn't some nail biting epic or blockbuster showdown for the ages... it was a very mediocre game from both sides and the better side kicked on with it once the losers had run out of shots to fire.

Yep this. We played as well as they allowed us to play. Should be commended for their performance. Their pressure and cleanliness were sensational. Luckily their skills didn't match. We were also lucky they couldn't sustain it and a few players extracted the digit late in the last.
Funny, but for years we would go with top teams for three and a half quarters before being run over and all anyone did was bag our boys and Buck's. Now we are the team that finishes all over the opposition and that's just down to good fortune and a worrying sign for so many on this board.

I wouldn't even call this one a thriller... it was a snooze fest for large parts just waiting for some kind of ascendancy to develop and then it looked like the unthinkable was going to happen and then we finally put the foot down but it it wasn't some nail biting epic or blockbuster showdown for the ages... it was a very mediocre game from both sides and the better side kicked on with it once the losers had run out of shots to fire.

Could not disagree more. great game to watch from the opening bounce to the final siren. I seriously don't understand these references to a snooze fest and would love to know which Collingwood games this year you rate as exciting

Could not disagree more. great game to watch from the opening bounce to the final siren. I seriously don't understand these references to a snooze fest and would love to know which Collingwood games this year you rate as exciting

You seriously reckon this game scaled any great heights? I reckon this was the worst game for watchability from us all year, any other game was better. We got sucked into their standard for nearly the entire game and didn't show off any of our attacking flair until right until the very end and luckily saved our own skins... it wasn't a high quality arm wrestle by any means. It was a poor side trying to drag a good side into a scrap to hide their own deficiencies.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wasn't in our top three games this year.

Nor ours. What's your point?

Don't flatter yourself. We will go past you very soon. I hope you don't **** the bed again this year. Your time is disappearing.

Oh, you mean, "They know we're coming" ? That attitude worked out really well for you last time. Did you note that our time happened, disappeared, and came back again before yours came back once?

The poor umpires are being severely hobbled.

The first one may have been technically there, but there is something technically there in just about every contest. It's beyond me why you'd be instructed to go out of your way to pick out something that is technically there, but has absolutely no bearing on the game and doesn't give a team an advantage at all.

The second one is just a complete farce. No-one can get in his way until he reaches the mark, which sounds reasonable on face value, but they've forgotten that no-one knows where the mark is until the umpire has run 50 metres counting out his backwards steps, so if the player is sprinting forwards at a much faster rate than the backwards running umpire, what do you do? When does the umpire who's counting know that he's crossed the mark and can be stopped. When does anyone know when they can get in his way?

Haven't seen the game yet, but an interesting stat is that we had 69 I50s while Carlton had 52 rebound 50's. Seems like the ball came out of our 50 far too easily

Much to do with how it went in.

The second one is just a complete farce. No-one can get in his way until he reaches the mark, which sounds reasonable on face value, but they've forgotten that no-one knows where the mark is until the umpire has run 50 metres counting out his backwards steps, so if the player is sprinting forwards at a much faster rate than the backwards running umpire, what do you do? When does the umpire who's counting know that he's crossed the mark and can be stopped. When does anyone know when they can get in his way?
Bugger me, and I’m still trying to work out the air speed of an unladen swallow...

You seriously reckon this game scaled any great heights? I reckon this was the worst game for watchability from us all year, any other game was better. We got sucked into their standard for nearly the entire game and didn't show off any of our attacking flair until right until the very end and luckily saved our own skins... it wasn't a high quality arm wrestle by any means. It was a poor side trying to drag a good side into a scrap to hide their own deficiencies.

West Coast, Dogs, Geelong and Richmond were much worse spectacles. This was a really good contest. I reckon we'd all view it differently if the Blues were wearing a different jumper

The 1st 50 was really technical. Same could be applied a couple of dozen times during a game. The 2nd though, he should know to just step aside and let someone down the field take the mark because as soon as he in any way impedes the guy he'll be pinged again.

Haven't seen the game yet, but an interesting stat is that we had 69 I50s while Carlton had 52 rebound 50's. Seems like the ball came out of our 50 far too easily

Lots of our inside 50’s were lacking purpose/intent. Easy kicks to outnumbered contests = intercept marks or easy clearances from spillages. Really frustrating.

The Geelong game was an inferior spectacle as were the Dogs and Eagles game. You have a short memory. The Dog's game in particular was appalling other than the fact we ran over them in the last ten minutes.

Last edited:
Yep.
It was driving me crazy all game. Was like a ping pong ball. Would go in and then pop straight out again.
We really weren't able to hold the ball in there for most part.

The Geelong game was an inferior spectacle as were the Dogs and Eagles game. You have a short memory. The Dog's game in particular was appalling other than the fact we ran over them in the lest ten minutes.

You're right, I can't remember. All I can remember is our win/loss count and who we beat/lost to and by how much. I forget pretty quickly what the game was like unless it's a standout. Today wasn't a standout, there may have been worse but I'm not racing to watch a replay of today... for me a good spectacle is us belting the pants off someone.

Yep.
It was driving me crazy all game. Was like a ping pong ball. Would go in and then pop straight out again.
We really weren't able to hold the ball in there for most part.

Bucks let them have a numerical advantage. It's a tough call when they push extra guys back. Do you let your forward line become a congested shambles by matching the numbers up there or do you back the extra entries and extra opportunities that you get from having the extras around the ball?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back