Review Pies win a thriller (Blues 87-106 Pies)

Remove this Banner Ad

Holy **** I completely forgot Carlton traded away their first pick to Adelaide.

What a disaster. They’re lucky their list is quite good. Just need to replace Bolton now. He’s quite clearly not a very good coach. They need Ratten back.
Not only that, the team they swapped first rounders with is now only a game behind us.

What the Afl have done with these ever growing ever present evernescense or whatever you call that s**t is what we all used to do in primary school.. draw a circle.. then draw circles around it.. then draw circles around the new circles and s**t like that.. creating what looks to be a mess and s**t like that..

The only solution is to start again from scratch.. but like a proud parent.. the afl will never admit to the rules looking like s**t re..

Glad to help everyone understand it more.

If our games are not televised I use the afl app on telstra T box and watch the replay. It comes in half a day late so deliberately dont watch any TV, radio nothing so I dont hear the scores. Got till last quarter where Blues are up by 10 with 10 to go and starting to loose my s**t. Didnt want to wreck the Mrs mothers day with my antics so logged onto big footy and thank christ we won. Going back to watch the last 10 in peace.

As a senior citizen who has followed the Pies through the bad times and having the fortunate and arrogant bluze fans ramming their good fortune down his throat I have to say how good it is to ram it down their throats for a change.

Give it to Cripps he is A grade and on track for a Charlie - sadly for him he is showcasing his outstanding talents in a cesspool beyond imagination.

Charlie Curnow turned on the game of his career and more power to him.

As for the rest - they were good support and played their roles.

Match summary for me.

The scum threw the kitchen sink at us and rode their luck for every minute of the game but it wasn't enough.

Collingwood came out in first gear and got sucked into the scums scrag and bash three stooges type attacking . . . ermmm . . . football.

Got out of first gear for about 8 minutes and steam rolled them good and proper.

Conclusion for me.

100 minutes of the scums most desperate and concentrated effort nullified by 8 minutes of second gear Collingwood power.

It’s a ridiculous rule change that is always going to cause confusion but he did infringe. He had to not follow. Basically players up the field have to be alert and cover the mark or it basically becomes a 50 metre penalty and advantage
I agree that he did infringe and probably needed to take a wider berth, but it looked like when he tried to run pass the Carlton player twice, the Carlton player cut in front of him twice.

I agree that he did infringe and probably needed to take a wider berth, but it looked like when he tried to run pass the Carlton player twice, the Carlton player cut in front of him twice.
That is exactly what happened and it is a definite tactic some coaches use now.

As usual the rule is half arsed and far too vague.

As a senior citizen who has followed the Pies through the bad times and having the fortunate and arrogant bluze fans ramming their good fortune down his throat I have to say how good it is to ram it down their throats for a change.

Give it to Cripps he is A grade and on track for a Charlie - sadly for him he is showcasing his outstanding talents in a cesspool beyond imagination.

Charlie Curnow turned on the game of his career and more power to him.

As for the rest - they were good support and played their roles.

Match summary for me.

The scum threw the kitchen sink at us and rode their luck for every minute of the game but it wasn't enough.

Collingwood came out in first gear and got sucked into the scums scrag and bash three stooges type attacking . . . ermmm . . . football.

Got out of first gear for about 8 minutes and steam rolled them good and proper.

Conclusion for me.

100 minutes of the scums most desperate and concentrated effort nullified by 8 minutes of second gear Collingwood power.
I'm with you there jonbe54. Nice to get some back and haven't they delivered in spades over recent years. If you enjoy a bit of a chuckle, go and read the matchday thread in the main board. Carlton and Richmond fans whining about umpiring. Throw in one or two bummers fans and we have the trifecta! Delicious!

Not in a million years mate.

You might need to remind me when we became adversaries. It obviously didn't register as an important moment of my life.

That is exactly what happened and it is a definite tactic some coaches use now.

As usual the rule is half arsed and far too vague.
Yep, the rule is a shocker. But everyone at the ground could see what was happening, except Phillips. He lost the plot, and was lucky he didn't cost us the game.

The umpiring this year has been horrendously inconsistent with the intent of the rules.

The interference with the man on the mark is being exploited by smart teams and the umpires are falling for it hook, line and sinker.

The other tactic is holding onto/impeding after a mark taken, used to be a 50 but not anymore this season. West Coast and Richmond are masters at it but Carlton gave it a good go yesterday, all under the watchful eyes of the so-called pro-Pies umpires. :rolleyes:

I’m really curious why in every close game we’ve had in the last 5 minutes we’ve had De Goey on the pine. I don’t care for rotations or minutes there’s no excuse imo that our match winner isn’t on the field when it counts
also makes you wonder why when he kicks a goal he then has to sprint 100m to come to the bench and have a rest. Crazy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Phillips should know to just bugger off after a 50m unless he's sufficiently forward of the person who has received it and won't infringe.

Agree with that. Was a bit stiff for the original 50 meter penalty though. Maynard was on the mark & decided to run off & take a running player. Maynard then pointed for Phillips to take the mark when he wasn't in a position to do so.

I agree credit to Carlton for nearly three quarters. Spread better, found space better and deprived us of using the centre and we didn't help by slowing the game down especially when we had options. A few dumb plays by us.

Some (maybe a lot) of our players had down days especially the backs but with players like Sidey, Pendlebury and Grundy who never give up, we got the four points.

I also am very happy Buckley continues with Brown, he has that something and is really hard on himself if you look at that first miss. Will only grow as a player - I like him very much. Elliott started well but think he may have got a knock in the 2nd as wasn't running as freely hope he is okay.

Wills sadly couldn't really get up to speed and may not get another opportunity when Adams, Beams come back in. Maybe even Sier and Wells are in front of him. Reid is very frustrating and not sure he is best 22, Cox gives Grundy more help in the ruck.

My two bug bears remain - Thomas and Mayne. Both a space minders and position themselves too far off their man, annoys the hell out of me. Both have good feel stories about them but I am more interested in what they deliver on game day.

Callum is doing well isn't he? I can't be objective about him (and Josh), it fills me with joy when he shows what I know he's capable of.

Wills did underwhelm. I hope he gets another shot and proves to be more effective. It was a baptism by fire against Cripps.

I would have disagreed with you about Thomas in 2018, not so sure now; he hasn't set the world on fire. Mayne gives 100% and has made the most of his opportunities.

Was at the game - thought Brown played quite well - not sure why some bagged him on the basis of yesterday's game. We were in 4th gear most of the time + some terrible shots on goal. Something in the "team psychology" clicked in the final few minutes. Wasn't the "visibles" of skill, structure, tackling, pressure etc etc - lots of games won by the "invisibles" - grunt, belief, commitment etc

I'm with you there jonbe54. Nice to get some back and haven't they delivered in spades over recent years. If you enjoy a bit of a chuckle, go and read the matchday thread in the main board. Carlton and Richmond fans whining about umpiring. Throw in one or two bummers fans and we have the trifecta! Delicious!
LOL PNS not for me - I carry a deeply seated grudge against all scum fans that is unrelenting - I would be perma banned in a heartbeat.

WHE is and always has been one of those mercurial players that add so much polish to the team.
He can go missing for long periods but he is such a lovely kick and mark. A great football brain too. He can't be kept out of the game for 4 quarters. He will always bob up wirh a gem sooner or later.
He dominated in that last quarter.
I am definitely a fan of his.

I get he is an impact player but even impact players have a consistency line they need to meet most weeks.

I am also a fan but he is clearly not in form and hasn't been for weeks imo, there comes a time where letting him go back and dominate, whilst rewarding 2s players for form becomes important to maintaining standards.

A month of nothing is not good enough.

LOL PNS not for me - I carry a deeply seated grudge against all scum fans that is unrelenting - I would be perma banned in a heartbeat.
Aaaah yes. I used to get caught up in that stuff but now I'm a bit more hit and run. Make a post and from there just watch the melts. It's a bit of a perverse enjoyment I get.

Aaaah yes. I used to get caught up in that stuff but now I'm a bit more hit and run. Make a post and from there just watch the melts. It's a bit of a perverse enjoyment I get.
All good mate - my anger burns slow and deep - entire organization can burn to the ground for all I care and then I would go over and p!ss on the ashes.

The other tactic is holding onto/impeding after a mark taken, used to be a 50 but not anymore this season. West Coast and Richmond are masters at it but Carlton gave it a good go yesterday, all under the watchful eyes of the so-called pro-Pies umpires. :rolleyes:

Yep and in our game against west coast we got pinged two fifties because we did it twice (think Howe was one late in game) and the eagles literally did it all game.

I get he is an impact player but even impact players have a consistency line they need to meet most weeks.

I am also a fan but he is clearly not in form and hasn't been for weeks imo, there comes a time where letting him go back and dominate, whilst rewarding 2s players for form becomes important to maintaining standards.

A month of nothing is not good enough.

Was that not he’s 3rd game back from after a lay off due to knee surgery, we had plenty blokes down on what was expected in the first 3 rounds imo

Was that not he’s 3rd game back from after a lay off due to knee surgery, we had plenty blokes down on what was expected in the first 3 rounds imo

Is it 3rd or 4th game back? Anyway I only said h was on shaky ground and needs to lift but definitely shouldn't be not in consideration *if* there is someone performing in the 2s.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back