Review Review: R8 v Port Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

Good crowd but probably the least Crows fans I can remember seeing at an away Showdown
Surprising to me considering the crowd roar when Tex (the magnificent bastard) slotted that captain’s goal in the last, and just on that, Sloane’s captain’s goal - was completely knackered and could have chosen to kick the ball off the ground for a Hail Mary, but gutted it out by picking up the ball, taking a few more paces and slotting it. Champion!

I said on BF, the 6 day break shouldn’t hurt us. I was completely wrong, because it clearly did sting us in the last qtr. Thoughtless fixturing by the AFL. But we know they don’t give a **** about fairness.

And when it was bought up in the game, Derwayne tried to claim that because Port had to travel they only had a 6 day break too. The immediate response from Lyons, I think was, yeah they had an 8 daybreak. Derwayne shut up after that.

Will this gritty, grinding style of play get it done against the best teams?

We've shown that we can win these wars of attrition against mid-table and dud teams.

Do we have the weapons to hurt the contenders?
As one of the commentators said ( can’t remember which one - might even have been an after show like Dermy...) “it’s scary to think the Crows aren’t even playing their best footy yet”

[QUOTE

And the talent in Fogarty who has to bide his time but to be honest, I don’t hear him knocking down the door like some of the aforementioned.[/QUOTE]
We recruit a fwd and play him out of his natural habitat. Should be playing up front and get him ready to roll if walker goes down. Jenkins is down there atm ....

And when it was bought up in the game, Derwayne tried to claim that because Port had to travel they only had a 6 day break too. The immediate response from Lyons, I think was, yeah they had an 8 daybreak. Derwayne shut up after that.
Baa ha ha ha yeah I picked up on that too. It kills him when Port lose the showdown.

I remember a mock draft at the time where he was going to Tigers at pick 30 or something.

No idea why he went so late.
Elliot Himmelberg broke a leg during his draft year, which also prevented him testing at the combine. The broken leg is why he slid.

He is showing signs that his real value is that of a top 10 draft pick.

I was pretty pissed last night but looking at the hit outs Ryder had double Lycetts who only had 17, I thought they normally have Lycett lead ruck?

Lycett as a forward ain’t going to work

Is Keath better than doedee?
better than Burton at least
What happened to the 48,600 crowd mentioned here?

Sent from my MI PAD 4 using Tapatalk
that was me. Listening to the coverage I heard a mumble in the background of a crowd figure and thought I heard that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good game. Most of my thoughts have been covered

Brown. I questioned his return but I was wrong. Played settled calm football.

5-3 is a game behind where I thought we could be but after the start it's a good position. 7-3 is still gettable

Was at the ground on the hill.
-Thought Laird was BoG / would get the showdown medal
-Talia looked to break his nose and slowly went off the ground. As soon as this was happening - cause they were so far from the bench - Port got a loose player forward and took an easy mark in our defensive F50. Our defense was a unit when he was on the ground and was noticeably weaker when he went off
-There was a patch of like 10minutes where the ball was stuck along the Eastern side of the ground with OBrien off the ground. We started getting killed in the contest with Himmelberg rucking. This would have done his HO numbers in a bit I reckon.
-Rozee is a gun
-Atkins was pretty putrid, Mackey was mostly good
-Pepper Pig (as he usually does) killed us. Really frustrating to watch at the ground.
-Port were puttin a LOT of work into Betts, especially first half. In the contest, off the contest - they paid him a lot of respect and hence shut him down. Unfortunately his pings at goal didn't quite hit the right part of the boot this time.
-Sloane was tremendous in the last. When they were coming he really stood up
-Motlop is cooked. Looked to be playing as a defender for a lot of the game and was putrid
-Westoff looked cooked
-Ryder was pretty bad for the most part. He is slowing down.

-Ports pre-game entertainment? I thought they were meant to be masters of this. Boring pre-game, boring half-time.
Thanks for taking one for the team and putting up with the ferals.

Sent from my MI PAD 4 using Tapatalk

I’m officially well and truly OFF the gallucci train

Gets his chances but doesn’t take his moments

He’s not a natural or prolific player, but he has to grasp his opportunities.

He doesn’t. He doesn’t make plays, good things don’t happen when he’s involved. He’s an anonymous, vanilla link in the chain

Pass
D-mac replacement.

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Go.

Personally..

Liked: We played a full 4 quarters last week of tough, contested footy that isn't our plan "A" game wise and got the win. And we backed it up with 3 quarters and a little surge to get over the line this week of the same type of footy and we are in the 4 after a bad start to the year.

Hated : Every port player out there.

Learnt : We have one of the toughest draws going around. Going to be very hard to be top 4 with our draw.

Brisbane away
West Coast at home
Melbourne away
GWS at home
Richmond at home
Bye
Geelong away
Showdown again
Sun's away
Essendon home
Carlton away
Saints at home
West Coast away
Collingwood at home
Bulldogs away.

Pretty tough run for a team given we didn't make the finals last year.

I was, based on his stats, critical last week of Lachie Murphy’s pressure and his role as a defensive small forward more generally.

Last night he went off for 11 tackles and 20 pressure acts to go with his goal and 2 goal assists.

Great pressure forward game from him and a vast improvement in that side of his game. Well done

Learnt : We have one of the toughest draws going around. Going to be very hard to be top 4 with our draw.

Brisbane away
West Coast at home
Melbourne away
GWS at home
Richmond at home
Bye
Geelong away
Showdown again
Sun's away
Essendon home
Carlton away
Saints at home
West Coast away
Collingwood at home
Bulldogs away.

toughest draws?
really?

All our average players played well.
Kelly was good
Mackay was ok
CEY was great
Greenwood was better in second half
Murphy excelled.
Our leaders stood up.

I think only Betts was really poor, there has to be something wrong. He looks lost at the moment.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
He kicked 6 goals just a couple of weeks ago.

i have always been skeptical of gooch but have started to notice he’s often at his best when things are really in the balance. Again last night, he didn’t have a great game, but bobbed up a few times when things got really hot. Still happy for the newer kids to get a run before him, but there’s enough to suggest he’s not a total bust, yet.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back