Positives & Negatives vs Saints

Jan 14, 2016
AFL Club
West Coast
It's worth noting that unlike the GC and Freo games where we let the opposition back in by putting the cue in the rack, in this game it was inaccuracy that was to blame rather than effort.
We actually came out breathing fire in the last even though we were 30 up and had that ball locked in our forward half for a decent amount of time, we just couldn't convert.

The inaccuracy is a much better problem to have than the lackadaisical approach we have seen in the other games.

- Letting a percentage boosting win stray into a close game (again).

- Letting that lead slip away, pretty disappointing

+ & - we are winning playing short bursts of decent footy.

If we play a full game of our best no one will beat us. Come on switch on!

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2004
Brisbane
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Cardiff City
Far from perfect, but it remains a good victory.

Positives:
  • Some very good signs during the second half - despite St Kilda trying to get players quickly behind the ball the team was able to transition from defence into attack efficiently.
  • Duggan fulfilled the aerobic sweeper "Masten" role without the world coming an end and got over 20 disposals and 360 metres gained as well.
  • Ryan was immense - 17 disposals (10 contested), 6 marks (3 contested), 3 clearances, 420 metres gained, 10 score involvements, 1.4 goals. I keep forgetting that he is 22 in just his 21st game. His ceiling is ridiculous. Showed tonight that he is fully capable of playing the role vacated by Lecras.
  • Cripps lead all players on the ground with 13 contested possessions. He had more rebounds from defensive 50 than inside attacking 50 entries, yet still had 7 score involvements, including 2 goals. Since 2014, he had just a single 15+ disposal match with more handballs than kicks until last week - and he has done it again this week. Indeed this is the first time in his entire career that he has had double figure handball totals in consecutive weeks. Watch this space - Cripps could have a new role that is a lot more midfield orientated.
  • Venables had a career-best game playing higher up the ground - more than half of his 15 possessions were contested. Showed his ability overhead that will make him an exceptionally difficult matchup when he fills out into the 90kg range.
  • Old Gaff is back and new Sheed is back - in the same team. Gaff 30 disposals (just 5 contested) at 80% efficiency, and 452 metres gained. Sheed 28 disposals (12 contested), 6 clearances and a goal. Tick. Tick.
  • Shuey 27 disposals (12 contested), 7 clearances, 89% disposal efficiency, 6 inside 50s, 9 score involvements. Tick.
  • Yeo 23 disposals (13 contested), 6 clearances, 6 tackles, 5 inside 50s, 501 metres gained. Looks on the brink of absolutely destroying a game very soon.
  • 37% of our clearances resulted in scoring shots - that is a very high number and a testament to our midfield group, considering Vardy gave them little to work with from the ruck.
  • McGovern started to show the form that left De Goey in the goal square. Was a one-man wall during the last ten minutes of the game.
  • Hurn and Sheppard remain awesome; 43 disposals (at 89% efficiency) and 18 marks between them.
  • O.Allen continues to make things happen whenever he is involved. From just 9 effective disposals he had 7 score involvements.
  • Kennedy had a burst that reminded everyone of just how good he is.
  • From the outset the game was under control, and remained so throughout the match - even in the last quarter the number of scoring shots was 9-6 in our favour.
  • I expected St Kilda to outrun the selected squad over four quarters but was proven convincingly wrong in that regard.

Negatives:
  • This should have been a 10 goal victory, rather than 3. The team was very wasteful in front of goal.
  • I don't know how Jetta has escaped so much criticism, just 8 disposals and multiple times was guilty of letting opponents get into space behind him far too easily.
  • Vardy is so out of form and confidence that it is hard to believe that this is the same player that gave Grundy a bath during the final quarter of the Grand Final. Even when does win the tap, it more often goes to his team-mates feet rather than their hands or completely misses and goes to the opposition. Is averaging just 6 disposals a game this season from 7 games. Hopefully Hickey will be available next week.
  • Schofield looks cooked, struggling to defend on the lead which used to be his strength. Offered nothing in regard to counteroffence, with just 5 disposals. With Barrass out for the next 3 months, there aren't many alternatives.
  • First half ball movement was far too slow and indirect, which killed any chance of the key forwards from having an impact - Darling and Kennedy combined for just 1 mark and 0.1 on the scoreboard during the first half. [In the second half with more direct ball movement, those figures were 9 marks and 3.2 goals respectively]
  • Hutchings again struggled when he doesn't have a midfield target to shutdown. Think maybe in these situations he should get pushed into attack as a pressure forward more often.
  • Cole likewise is struggling without a lockdown target, looking lost at times zoning off. Needs to get involved more when the team has the ball.
  • I have no idea what role Waterman was deployed in - was it wing, was it forward, was it defence? I'm just going to call it the Brander role for now.

Georgie 404

All Australian
Jul 4, 2017
Smollettville
AFL Club
West Coast
V good analysis

• Schofield looks cooked, struggling to defend on the lead which used to be his strength. Offered nothing in regard to counteroffence, with just 5 disposals. With Barrass out for the next 3 months, there aren't many alternatives.

With Schofield looking tired, and Barrass out for a while, and limited options to replace, what’s your thoughts re Oscar to back line??

HurleyHepsHird

Ghost Stories for the End of the World
Oct 2, 2011
Between the Lines
AFL Club
West Coast
+ Masten out allowed Venables and Duggan to rotate through his role, Gaff to spend a lot more time outside and Sheed to spend more time on ball. The midfield not only looked more balanced and pressured far better, but functioned far more aggressively

- Duggan spending more time in the middle did expose our defence and mainly Schofield a little more. With no Barrass and Duggan up the ground, a couple of times when the team pressure dropped off you could see the odd handover go less than smoothly or Schofield exposed one out

It's a move worth persisting with TBH, because the midfield ran soooooooo much better and the volume of ball going forward and increased pressure, especially helped by Duggan patrolling HF from kick ins, could easily have led to a 3-5 goal bigger win

HurleyHepsHird

Ghost Stories for the End of the World
Oct 2, 2011
Between the Lines
AFL Club
West Coast

Positives:
  • Some very good signs during the second half - despite St Kilda trying to get players quickly behind the ball the team was able to transition from defence into attack efficiently.
  • Duggan fulfilled the aerobic sweeper "Masten" role without the world coming an end and got over 20 disposals and 360 metres gained as well.
  • Ryan was immense - 17 disposals (10 contested), 6 marks (3 contested), 3 clearances, 420 metres gained, 10 score involvements, 1.4 goals. I keep forgetting that he is 22 in just his 21st game. His ceiling is ridiculous. Showed tonight that he is fully capable of playing the role vacated by Lecras.
  • Cripps lead all players on the ground with 13 contested possessions. He had more rebounds from defensive 50 than inside attacking 50 entries, yet still had 7 score involvements, including 2 goals. Since 2014, he had just a single 15+ disposal match with more handballs than kicks until last week - and he has done it again this week. Indeed this is the first time in his entire career that he has had double figure handball totals in consecutive weeks. Watch this space - Cripps could have a new role that is a lot more midfield orientated.
  • Venables had a career-best game playing higher up the ground - more than half of his 15 possessions were contested. Showed his ability overhead that will make him an exceptionally difficult matchup when he fills out into the 90kg range.
  • Old Gaff is back and new Sheed is back - in the same team. Gaff 30 disposals (just 5 contested) at 80% efficiency, and 452 metres gained. Sheed 28 disposals (12 contested), 6 clearances and a goal. Tick. Tick.
  • Shuey 27 disposals (12 contested), 7 clearances, 89% disposal efficiency, 6 inside 50s, 9 score involvements. Tick.
  • Yeo 23 disposals (13 contested), 6 clearances, 6 tackles, 5 inside 50s, 501 metres gained. Looks on the brink of absolutely destroying a game very soon.
  • 37% of our clearances resulted in scoring shots - that is a very high number and a testament to our midfield group, considering Vardy gave them little to work with from the ruck.
  • McGovern started to show the form that left De Goey in the goal square. Was a one-man wall during the last ten minutes of the game.
  • Hurn and Sheppard remain awesome; 43 disposals (at 89% efficiency) and 18 marks between them.
  • O.Allen continues to make things happen whenever he is involved. From just 9 effective disposals he had 7 score involvements.
  • Kennedy had a burst that reminded everyone of just how good he is.
  • From the outset the game was under control, and remained so throughout the match - even in the last quarter the number of scoring shots was 9-6 in our favour.
  • I expected St Kilda to outrun the selected squad over four quarters but was proven convincingly wrong in that regard.

Negatives:
  • This should have been a 10 goal victory, rather than 3. The team was very wasteful in front of goal.
  • I don't know how Jetta has escaped so much criticism, just 8 disposals and multiple times was guilty of letting opponents get into space behind him far too easily.
  • Vardy is so out of form and confidence that it is hard to believe that this is the same player that gave Grundy a bath during the final quarter of the Grand Final. Even when does win the tap, it more often goes to his team-mates feet rather than their hands or completely misses and goes to the opposition. Is averaging just 6 disposals a game this season from 7 games. Hopefully Hickey will be available next week.
  • First half ball movement was far too slow and indirect, which killed any chance of the key forwards from having an impact - Darling and Kennedy combined for just 1 mark and 0.1 on the scoreboard during the first half. [In the second half with more direct ball movement, those figures were 9 marks and 3.2 goals respectively]
  • Hutchings again struggled when he doesn't have a midfield target to shutdown. Think maybe in these situations he should get pushed into attack as a pressure forward more often.
  • Cole likewise is struggling without a lockdown target, looking lost at times zoning off. Needs to get involved more when the team has the ball.
  • I have no idea what role Waterman was deployed in - was it wing, was it forward, was it defence? I'm just going to call it the Brander role for now.
Hickey in, Rioli in, Schofield out, Vardy out, Oscar Allen to the backline.

Fatty rules

Team Captain
Feb 16, 2008
Brussels
AFL Club
West Coast
I noticed her in the pre-game practicing the centre bounce and getting no air so in the game she just threw it up. Interestingly this is the only real definable skill that a field umpire is ordinarily required to demonstrate.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
Total bullshi"t. She bounces it fine usually. The commentators explained that all starts would be throwups due to new turf being laid. There have been far worse umpiring performances this year. I hope we'll get more female umpires through the system, and I also hope that frustrated blokes dumping fake news sh"t on her or any other female ump won't discourage more girls from getting into the system.

BlueandGoldforever

Cancelled
Apr 10, 2008
Sydney
AFL Club
West Coast
Positives:

• We won
• Our small forwards were all solid
• Darling had a strong second half after a quiet first half
• McGovern was very important in the last 10 minutes
• We controlled the play from midway through the third quarter until the first 10 minutes of the last quarter
• Ryan was probably our best player
• We are slowly gaining match fitness

Negatives:

• Cole is woefully out of form and needs to be dropped
• Our ball transition from the back half is still way too slow
• Players get lazy very quickly and don’t run both ways as hard as they should
• Hurn needs to stop doing those 15 metre kicks from full back deep in the back pocket. They limit our options going forward
• Kennedy looks a shell of the player he used to be
• Jetta needs to find some form quickly
• Our tall forwards need to work on improving their four-quarter output.

Astro7

Official Halftime Oranges Man
Aug 6, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
*JK looks cooked. Double-teamed each game, works hard. Literally threw himself at the contest in patches.
*JD similar. Gets mucho attention. Struggles to break through. Can look threatening or look clunky. The fact that he and JK still get a score and have one or two brief effective moments in a game, is a testament to how much close attention the opposition pay them, how hard they work and how their class eventually wins through.
*Most teams seem to now have copies of the blueprint to shut Eagles down courtesy of Port.
*Not much point comparing us to last season or the premiership run, the game has changed, teams have adapted and evolved, the whole circus has moved on. We are also adapting and evolving on the fly, to the being the hunted, with injuries and a limited/interrupted preseason. While arguably Collingwood was in the same boat, they have a more comfortable fixture or home-based games as per usual.
*Need to stay in touch with the top four. Depending on their fixtures some teams will be hard to dislodge.
*Redden was quiet or invisible or just under the pack all the time?
*Schoey is a concern, a long bridge to Barrass's return.
*Willy should smooth us out and make a noticeable difference, same with NN.
*Jetta could be so much more... more often.
*The young ones stood out. Petch, Ryan, DV is turning the corner?
*Give the Waterman another gig, then decide.
*The engine is starting to purrr...6 day break to Demons, then a danger game vs.Crows in Crow-town.

Yamumluvsbigcox

Cancelled
Oct 22, 2012
AFL Club
West Coast
Female umpire was **** ! Massive negative. When will people realise there is a difference between men and women, and that is a good thing.
2nd
Ha ha nice troll . There is no difference they are all s**t regardless of gender.

At least she didnt have to bounce the ball

Last edited:

Yamumluvsbigcox

Cancelled
Oct 22, 2012
AFL Club
West Coast
We are turning the ball over way to much and getting exposed down the middle. So many open marks to the Saints down the spine and in the forward 50. Barrass out is hurting our backline structure. On top of that Cole is out of form and Schofield is cooked.
Bruce was a god damn marking machine last night who ever he was on . He had a day out
Schoey was just unlucky to be on him most of the night

Royals

Cancelled
Jan 7, 2008
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Perth
Positives: Liam Ryan best game for Eagles, Vardy is coming good, team went hard at it all night, another away win.

Negatives: forwards continue to cluster and get in each others road .. spread OUT give the kicker some options of where to kick.

WillieNillie

All Australian
Mar 31, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
Biggest positive by far was the influence of Gaff and Sheed and the changing of roles they both had this week. Both benefitted from it which was nice to see

Biggest negative by far continues to be delivery inside 50. Alot of this is due to slow ball movement and our inability to get the ball delivered from better spots. Too many shallow inside 50 entries this year are high up and unders. Much rather in these situations switch more as opposed to heading back to defense with the ball

Balls In

Brownlow Medallist
May 25, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
Much better signs in that game. Even in the last quarter we should have had 5 goals but for poor kicking. That will come. Solid away win and a few players finding form such as Venbles and Cripps.

There was a play in the third quarter when Shepperd got the footy in the middle of the ground and instead of handballing to one of two runners next to him in space, he stopped propped and kicked backwards. At the time I couldnt believe he didnt want to take the game on in that situation and as it turned out cost us a goal as the ball was coughed ip in defence. Not to detract from Sheppard but this is a team wide thing that needs to be fixed. Slow ball movement and allowing the opposition to players behind the ball.

Yamumluvsbigcox

Cancelled
Oct 22, 2012
AFL Club
West Coast
Hickey in, Rioli in, Schofield out, Vardy out, Oscar Allen to the backline.
Allen is just starting to look comfortable in his role as 3rd tall / ruck pinch hit . He is also looking better in tandem with jk and darling not getting into their space anymore . Why change it ?

Schofield did struggle but bruce was have a day out . Dont know why money bag$ mcgovern gets the lesser defender but schoey has had the best defender each week and battles hard .

Yamumluvsbigcox

Cancelled
Oct 22, 2012
AFL Club
West Coast
Total bullshi"t. She bounces it fine usually. The commentators explained that all starts would be throwups due to new turf being laid. There have been far worse umpiring performances this year. I hope we'll get more female umpires through the system, and I also hope that frustrated blokes dumping fake news sh"t on her or any other female ump won't discourage more girls from getting into the system.
You get them you white night !

She is a good umpire . Just as good as all the men but you have to be realistic she doesn't bounce the ball high enough at centre bounces not just before tonights game. She should just be allow to throw it up all the time

Your outrage is heartening though any females reading it would love you in their friend zone

Jun 24, 2009
In your dreams
AFL Club
West Coast
I was at the game so not privy to the commentators discussions relating to the ground conditions. As I said it was just something I noticed at the game because I thought the other umpires were still bouncing it. I have no real complaints about her umpiring last night and no issues with more female umpires in the future.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Back