Review Hard Fought 16 Point Win Over The Lions

Jan 1, 2015
Hoppers Crossing
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Bugger all respect from Brisbane flogs .. Only umpires of course.. forgetting how much they were helped at times

So pretty much what every supporter base has done since I’ve been going to the footy since 1970! Had a mild verbal altercation with a Lions supporter during last quarter who wanted me to calm down after a particular HTB decision didn’t go our way. Reminded him of his end of 3rd quarter meltdown that the Dunkley free was the worst decision ever and that we all overact at times. He never spoke again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I actually predicted that play before it happened. Literally said 5 seconds before he kicked he’d just float it in for Naughts to launch at it. I’m sticking with Naughts - don’t want to give credence to a HS nickname. It’ll end up cringeworthy and overused like the Package.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's not the Hun's !! Copyrite grassman75 2019 [first round of the season] :p

You would've been overjoyed as I was if you heard the FOX commentator Adam Papalia( I had to google him) say "astronaut on Mars" yesterday then!

Im pretty sure that he'd been carrying around this zinger all afternoon and it went some way to explaining their focus on Naughtons game up until half-time.

"Please do something, Ive got a beauty to roll out when you do!"
They also said that his game really accelerated- after his slow start he went from nought to 100 (the “ton”, get it?) in a few seconds.

It was Cometti-esque.

Rookie

Premiership Player
May 12, 2004
Globetrotting
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Woke up at 6.30 here in Budapest. Listened to the second half while following the game on bigfooty. Went to the thermal spa and layed round dreaming about our upcoming victory against Geelong then had a few beers. Life is good.
I got to celebrate our victory on the bus back from a five day hike in the Andes. Life indeed is good when we are winning!

TiAn_

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 19, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Our transition/connection yesterday was the best it has been in a long time. Our defenders and wingmen, particularly JJ, picked the right moments to get on their bike when attacking, and used one another really well. The midfielders and flankers timed their leads and kicks in the way that only comes with continuity.

Brisbane were focused on generating a spare defender, which is something that Geelong do well, so it’s promising that we countered that well in the second half.

I was also impressed with our defense containing their small forwards and midfielders (other than Robinson). Cameron is obviously a great player and McCarthy has been in good form. They usually have a very good spread of goal kickers. The defensive unit is really humming at the moment.

Thunderoad

Senior List
Jun 21, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
It’s a good indication of how much football has changed that Caleb Daniel’s difficulties in sticking tackles is much less of a problem down back than it is up forward.

I wasn’t sold on Caleb prior to this season but his ability to set up and take calculated risks from the back has been excellent this year.

Braybrook Son

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 4, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Libba has shown he can be crafty around goals. And a very good one on one mark. A deep forward role might be advantageous for us and Libba for now.
Maybe Libba has been put forward for his tackling pressure as we haven’t got much else in there that provide that.

The Zork

Club Legend
Oct 8, 2014
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Bugger all respect from Brisbane flogs .. Only umpires of course.. forgetting how much they were helped at times

I’ll give you a bit.
Dogs deserved the win. Were cleaner and worked a lot harder when it counted. 2 keys of AFL.
Naughton fought well and got on top in the end when he could of been accused of reading the papers sipping on his bath water.
From our perspective we should have been 4-5 goals up half time, not a match winning lead mind you, but the message at ht would of been foot on throat when I imagine it would of been flat af.
We got some ordinary decisions against us resulting in direct goals where the game slipped away and weren’t afforded quite the same when we were making a run.
Wasn’t the difference.
Cheers

hoianbulldog

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 2, 2006
Hoi An, Vietnam. I am off the grid.
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Dunno if you were at the ground, but there was a definite buzz going around in the outer whenever he went near the ball in the second half.

He was the subject of much complimentary discussion by supporters of both sides.

He's rolled gold and very soon will have the same exalted status us the Bont as head and shoulders above everybody else in the side.
I seen him interviewed after the game and came accross as very mature for his age.

I’ll give you a bit.
Dogs deserved the win. Were cleaner and worked a lot harder when it counted. 2 keys of AFL.
Naughton fought well and got on top in the end when he could of been accused of reading the papers sipping on his bath water.
From our perspective we should have been 4-5 goals up half time, not a match winning lead mind you, but the message at ht would of been foot on throat when I imagine it would of been flat af.
We got some ordinary decisions against us resulting in direct goals where the game slipped away and weren’t afforded quite the same when we were making a run.
Wasn’t the difference.
Cheers

I felt you were very lucky with the bounce of the ball. Blind kicks forward and shanks all seemed to land in your teammates hands. It was also noticeable that your boys got away with a fair bit of tunneling. Hipwood cost you dearly in front of goal too.

A funny thing happened with the AFL's on-line stats in the match. I was watching Bailey Smith's (because on a small iphone screen it's often hard to see who has possession unless they call it, so I check the stats from time to time). As someone posted Smith had only 4 handballs to half time but was keeping busy with 8 tackles. Late in the last quarter he still had only 6 handballs and 0 kicks. I was willing him to get a kick because a 0 kicks game for a young midfielder could really hurt his confidence and no doubt commentators and trolls would remind him about it.

So when he finally got a kick with 1:30 left in the game I posted that fact in the GD thread. As far as I'm aware he didn't get another possession in the remaining 90 seconds (small screen though - he might have).

Then when I re-checked after the game he is credited with THREE kicks.

Anyone know how that works? Do they do a post-game reconciliation with the official statistician or something? Were the work-experience kids doing the in-game stats watching on an iPhone as well?

On the topic I'm not worried about Bailey. He's an 18yo learning how to play against the big boys in tricky conditions. He's going fine.

Braybrook Son

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 4, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I’ll give you a bit.
Wasn’t the difference.
Cheers
It’s funny how different fans have different perspectives. I, being a Doggies fan, thought the umps were murdering us for most of the game. A lot of HTB decisions were let go, and some of the frees paid to the Lions were strange, but I guess looking at the game through different sets of eyes, you get different biases!

Dec 21, 2005
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
A funny thing happened with the AFL's on-line stats in the match. I was watching Bailey Smith's (because on a small iphone screen it's often hard to see who has possession unless they call it, so I check the stats from time to time). As someone posted Smith had only 4 handballs to half time but was keeping busy with 8 tackles. Late in the last quarter he still had only 6 handballs and 0 kicks. I was willing him to get a kick because a 0 kicks game for a young midfielder could really hurt his confidence and no doubt commentators and trolls would remind him about it.

So when he finally got a kick with 1:30 left in the game I posted that fact in the GD thread. As far as I'm aware he didn't get another possession in the remaining 90 seconds (small screen though - he might have).

Then when I re-checked after the game he is credited with THREE kicks.

Anyone know how that works? Do they do a post-game reconciliation with the official statistician or something? Were the work-experience kids doing the in-game stats watching on an iPhone as well?

On the topic I'm not worried about Bailey. He's an 18yo learning how to play against the big boys in tricky conditions. He's going fine.
Pretty sure they go over it again. Sometimes possessions are credited to the wrong player or something is called in their room but not recorded on the stats.

The Zork

Club Legend
Oct 8, 2014
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I felt you were very lucky with the bounce of the ball. Blind kicks forward and shanks all seemed to land in your teammates hands. It was also noticeable that your boys got away with a fair bit of tunneling. Hipwood cost you dearly in front of goal too.
Just quickly, balls landing in laps in my eyes is good football - playing in front. It’s a under 10s thing.
Look we can go back and forth all day on who was lucky, they paid this, they missed that, you kicked goals from the boundary, we missed from dead in front. I can’t be stuffed. I just came to say in terms of football - you played better and say well done.

There is no doubt Brisbane should have been 4 or 5 goals up at half time. However, as has happened to us on numerous occasions in the past few years, we have lost many games through poor goal kicking even when we dominated the stats. Swings and roundabouts.

Just quickly, balls landing in laps in my eyes is good football - playing in front. It’s a under 10s thing.
Look we can go back and forth all day on who was lucky, they paid this, they missed that, you kicked goals from the boundary, we missed from dead in front. I can’t be stuffed. I just came to say in terms of football - you played better and say well done.
Agree with this. Lions players were well positioned. You make your own luck. Something for our coaches to work on.

Also agree you should have been about 5 goals up at HT. We kicked a couple out of our arse against the wind in the first quarter. We rarely do that. Your blokes (especially Hipwood) squandered weight of i50s the way we usually do. For us it was a welcome change but something we quickly forget in the euphoria of a win.

There were a few dodgy decisions - there always will be - but overall the umpiring seemed a decent standard and probably didn't favour either side over the entirety of the match. Usually if the match ends and I feel just slightly hard done by in the umpiring department then I reckon it's probably a fair result (taking into account my RW&B glasses). The deliberate OOB rule is being enforced harder than I had expected but maybe that's a good thing. Its application went against both sides yesterday, so as long as they are consistent I don't mind.

Back