Review Hard Fought 16 Point Win Over The Lions

Remove this Banner Ad

A funny thing happened with the AFL's on-line stats in the match. I was watching Bailey Smith's (because on a small iphone screen it's often hard to see who has possession unless they call it, so I check the stats from time to time). As someone posted Smith had only 4 handballs to half time but was keeping busy with 8 tackles. Late in the last quarter he still had only 6 handballs and 0 kicks. I was willing him to get a kick because a 0 kicks game for a young midfielder could really hurt his confidence and no doubt commentators and trolls would remind him about it.

So when he finally got a kick with 1:30 left in the game I posted that fact in the GD thread. As far as I'm aware he didn't get another possession in the remaining 90 seconds (small screen though - he might have).

Then when I re-checked after the game he is credited with THREE kicks.

Anyone know how that works? Do they do a post-game reconciliation with the official statistician or something? Were the work-experience kids doing the in-game stats watching on an iPhone as well?

On the topic I'm not worried about Bailey. He's an 18yo learning how to play against the big boys in tricky conditions. He's going fine.

Their stats aren't 100% accurate. They gave Bont 0 tackles last week but he had at least 1 on martin.

First game I've missed watching in a looooong time. Had a feeling we would win, we seem to play well against Brisbane.

Good to see Dunks still playing midfield. English rest is a good idea and many were calling for it during the week. Picked the right game to do it.

Geelong next week, the game could be anything.

I'm cringing at you whinging about it :p
OK I won't do it anymore :)

Everyone has a nickname. I called him Astro Naughton for a banner. I don't yell out Astro....I will be calling Vandermeer Latex though cos Vandermeer is too hard to yell

I’ll give you a bit.
Dogs deserved the win. Were cleaner and worked a lot harder when it counted. 2 keys of AFL.
Naughton fought well and got on top in the end when he could of been accused of reading the papers sipping on his bath water.
From our perspective we should have been 4-5 goals up half time, not a match winning lead mind you, but the message at ht would of been foot on throat when I imagine it would of been flat af.
We got some ordinary decisions against us resulting in direct goals where the game slipped away and weren’t afforded quite the same when we were making a run.
Wasn’t the difference.
Cheers
good insight. Cheers.

You mind me asking re Rayner? Maybe I’m being a tad harsh but haven’t seen a breakout game as yet. Tank appears nowhere deep enough to play serious midfield minutes and doesn’t get much of the ball at HFF. Seems the talk outweighs the output presently. What’s the consensus on lions board?

McCluggage is a gun. As is Harris Andrews when fit. Cheers

good insight. Cheers.

You mind me asking re Rayner? Maybe I’m being a tad harsh but haven’t seen a breakout game as yet. Tank appears nowhere deep enough to play serious midfield minutes and doesn’t get much of the ball at HFF. Seems the talk outweighs the output presently. What’s the consensus on lions board?

McCluggage is a gun. As is Harris Andrews when fit. Cheers

Unsure on Rayner. Most of his stats are down from last year but he’s kicking more goals.
To me he’s lost a yard of pace and is caught between flying for marks and crumbing. Similar to Charlie Cameron.
Board is split between dropping him and persisting. Problem is the neafl standard is horrible and he’ll kick 6-7 goals but likely wont fix his current issues.

I’ll give you a bit.
Dogs deserved the win. Were cleaner and worked a lot harder when it counted. 2 keys of AFL.
Naughton fought well and got on top in the end when he could of been accused of reading the papers sipping on his bath water.
From our perspective we should have been 4-5 goals up half time, not a match winning lead mind you, but the message at ht would of been foot on throat when I imagine it would of been flat af.
We got some ordinary decisions against us resulting in direct goals where the game slipped away and weren’t afforded quite the same when we were making a run.
Wasn’t the difference.
Cheers
We got some ordinary decisions too. It doesn't need mentioning as it didn't play a part.

Defensive work rate was the biggest shift. Brisbane were +3.0 at the half and -.1 by games end. The dogs were also more even across the board. The Lions had more players who didn't impact the game with positive moments.

Unsure on Rayner. Most of his stats are down from last year but he’s kicking more goals.
To me he’s lost a yard of pace and is caught between flying for marks and crumbing. Similar to Charlie Cameron.
Board is split between dropping him and persisting. Problem is the neafl standard is horrible and he’ll kick 6-7 goals but likely wont fix his current issues.

Think it is going to be the reality of his game for a few years - he was always going to take multiple pre-seasons to get anywhere close to consistency. Turning into a real whipping boy amongst some of our more nuffy posters who have a melt after a 3 goal loss but it's hard to argue that he's been good enough this year.

Anyway, congrats on the win - your boys worked harder and dominated at ground level after the first quarter and a half and the margin was probably flattering to us in the end. For whatever reason we seem to piss away opportunities to win against you with inaccuracy or losing a lead (last year and both games in 17 were like that).

You would've been overjoyed as I was if you heard the FOX commentator Adam Papalia( I had to google him) say "astronaut on Mars" yesterday then!

Im pretty sure that he'd been carrying around this zinger all afternoon and it went some way to explaining their focus on Naughtons game up until half-time.

"Please do something, Ive got a beauty to roll out when you do!"
Was he the one who called JJ Bailey Johannisen?
I know we have a lot of Baileys, maybe just call all our boys Bailey, you’d be right quite often.

We got some ordinary decisions too. It doesn't need mentioning as it didn't play a part.

Defensive work rate was the biggest shift. Brisbane were +3.0 at the half and -.1 by games end. The dogs were also more even across the board. The Lions had more players who didn't impact the game with positive moments.

Brisbane also went in too top heavy for the conditions. Too many immobile big players Then with a runner going down it was made worse. Not sure you can afford the luxury of a 206 cm guy standing in the forward line in damp conditions.

I’ll give you a bit.
Wasn’t the difference.
Cheers

Ordinary decisions, 'coulda, shoulda, woulda', in the end, the Dogs capitalised when the Lions went to sleep. Game over. No excuses.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Read word 6 through word 19 in my post.
Brisbane lost the free kick count by 1 and soundly lost every other stat except hitouts. The umpiring was not a factor at all - Brisbane just out worked by the Bulldogs for more than half of the game.

Not allowed to discuss the game?
Geez last time I post on another team forum. Enjoyed the game. Give you some credit. Tell you out footballed us. Actually said that the umpires didn’t determine the result and was more an observation from our perspective.
I’ll leave yous to enjoy the win :thumbsu:

Geez last time I post on another team forum. Enjoyed the game. Give you some credit. Tell you out footballed us. Actually said that the umpires didn’t determine the result and was more an observation from our perspective.
Good idea.

Sorry about my colleagues, you were measured and fair in your analysis. The Naughton shove of two people was a particularly poor oversight. Love watching your young guns such as McCluggage and Berry play and wish you guys all the best for the rest of the season (as long as it's not our expense).

Sorry about my colleagues, you were measured and fair in your analysis. The Naughton shove of two people was a particularly poor oversight. Love watching your young guns such as McCluggage and Berry play and wish you guys all the best for the rest of the season (as long as it's not our expense).

Not sure you have the right to apologise for other people’s opinions. Fairly presumptuous.

Not sure you have the right to apologise for other people’s opinions. Fairly presumptuous.

I have the right to apologise for your (and others') rudeness on behave of the rest of this forum. The responses to the post were totally out of order. He was in no way trolling and congratulated us on the win.

I agree, don’t think the guy said anything wrong at all.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back