Review ******* festival of shite v crows

Remove this Banner Ad

Well, we've seen that movie plenty of times before. In fact, that game was practically a carbon copy of the pre season game against the Crows earlier this year. Patchy start, blown away as the game progresses by Adelaide's forward efficiency and our lack thereof, spirited late fightback to get within a kick or two, Crows kick a couple late to blow the margin back out to something more comfortable.

To kick 3 goals from 50 inside 50s to 3QT is just deplorable. That's the game right there. No further analysis needed. No forward system and no players in the selected team who are natural goal kickers or even somewhat capable of kicking their 2 or 3 or 4 goals. The contrast at the other end of the ground could not have been more obvious. We whacked them in clearances but it didn't matter. The game was decided at either end of the ground. And decisively so.

So many players in that forward line who just gave us nothing. Ryder and Lycett gave us nothing when they were resting forward. Farrell and Johnson gave us nothing. Westhoff and Marshall gave us nothing as key forwards. Neither are strong enough to play as forwards in the modern congested game. It's why Chad Wingard has become an ineffective forward - he's not strong enough either. I am beginning to have serious concerns about whether Marshall will ever make it at the level. And people have a go at Sam Gray but he was our most effective forward again last night, and has been ever since he was recalled.

Things begun to change once we put Dougal foward. It was no coincidence. He attacked the football with such enthusiasm and made things happen whenever we went to him. He's strong, quick and agile. He is a good defender on his day but has the capacity to be a great forward. Just play him there and see what happens.

Elsewhere, I thought Clurey was great down back. Lienert played probably his best AFL game. Broadbent is copping some flack but he was useful enough for his first game back.

Amon tried hard but was mostly ineffective. Motlop was terrible. Duursma I thought had a good game. Boak and SPP kept trying. Rockliff was a contested ball beast. But it was all for nothing because the forward line was so poor, so dysfunctional, that no matter what we did anywhere else on the ground, it never looked like mattering because we just couldn't find a way to goal.

Last edited:
Im surprised by the level of melts given almost noone here thought we would win
It's because we SHOULD win against such rubbish opposition but we knew we WOULDN'T win due to selections, game plan and lack of reaction in real time from the coaches box.
We will continue to melt while that muppet lets our club burn down around us while he sits there enjoying the warmth.

Oh yeah just remembered an interesting tidbit from last night. A bloke who I semi regularly sit with at games who's a mate of a mate and loves a beer as much as I do gets a call pre game from a Bird trying to coax him over to their corporate facility over the other side of the ground. That Bird was none other than our friend Elspeth. Apparently old mate used to know her in the Biblical sense. Old mate said whilst the free beer was tempting they are all Crows supporting dipshits so * that.

I didn't think we could win with such a young team.

Was pleased with the fight back but never thought we could actually catch them.

Westhoff as a backman should have been done 3 years ago. Dougs must stay forward and Frampton has to come in.

AJ just shouldn't have played as everybody said here Thursday - Friday, thought in theory it might have worked tagging a flanker but he was horrid, a liability.

Very depressing game, was really as bad as I could remember, and they wernt much crack Adelaide, ve r y average

Plenty of callers saying how ****ed our forward line is without picking effective key forwards. Okay they didn't really say ****ed. But they were thinking it. ;)

It's why we are melting, we saw it coming after Thursday night. Motlop and AJ did not deserve selection. Frampton did.
Broady was thrown to the wolves. A feel good selection that was milked and engineered by Humpty Dumpty complete with cameras rolling.
Oh the theatre of it all. The whole playing group there, Ken holding court complete with the drawn out intro/lead up... 600 and ? days since

Now, I ask you, do you remember when Billy got the nod last year? Maybe you don't and part of the reason might have been because
there was no camera rolling for it that I remember. I posted at the time .. where's the footage that Ken has made a habit of.
A small thing not worth highlighting? Imo it spoke volumes about this stubborn dumb yokel who would look and sound the part
of foreman on a council road gang who got the job after time served rather than on merit.

Our 150th next yr could be a disaster played out to seas of empty seats when it should be a wonderful happy event.
Late in the game play was on the Eastern boundary where the empty seats said it all.
Our fight back was lipstick on a pig. Like the C/wood Richmond Brisbane games. Like 2018,'17,'16 '15....Nah I'm being harsh
we did play a final in those 4yrs and who could forget that game. We tried our hardest but it wasn't good enough.

Yep not good enough.... Again / Still.
7yrs and counting.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’d buy it if they took heaps more intercept marks than us. But they didn’t.

Their goals were scored from scrappy entries. The only time their talls did anything was when we did something incredibly stupid, like the Walker goal from a turnover.

Would playing Frampton have helped? Absolutely. We needed someone who was going to hit the contest and fight as soon as Burton went down. None of Ryder, Westhoff and Marshall want to do that. If I could, I’d drop all of them just for being soft.

They made it a scrap in our defensive 50 by flooding back because we couldn’t switch fast enough from an intercept. We had more inside 50 entries than them and enough scoring shots to win.

Any other analysis is just lame confirmation bias from people who have no idea.

We did minimal switching and played with limited flair.

We did the traditional bomb it long to small forwards. Look at the 23:40 of the second, to see the pack of structured Crows waiting. We didn’t run with the ball, drop short or use variety. As Ford Fairlane pointed out, it was the same game plan.

Pot shorting others opinions as biased and thinking your always right is the height of arrogance my friend.

There was entitled bias, Broadbent really was vanilla. SGray high work rate average skills and decision making. AJ selection abject obvious failure. Not playing a key FWD all the time FAIL is Frampton our saviour, most likely not but he’d give us structure. Dougal st least showed some spirit to lead and amazingly we looked better.

I’m tired of too many going up, on the wing in front of me, all of Ryder, Lycett and Dougal went up to spoil we have minimal crumbles. Farcical

Howard was great getting behind the defence too. You could see his eyes light up when he knew he was taking on Hartigan in a pace contest. His speed is such a weapon in a tall guy who is already menacing in the air.

The club is dead, weak leaders, weak admin, weak coaching staff, weak playing group of frauds and mental short people, a passion less supporter base.

A lot changes in 1 year.Motlop was the hero last year with the winning goal.He looks like AFL has passed him buy.
I think Broadbent deserves 1 more game.A showdown is a tough comenack.
Ryder+Lycett+Westoff are moving like they have lead weights on there ancles.Johnson looks like a spud.
The fwd line structure looks terrible.And Ken was very slow to change things.Thought Pyke won the battle of the coaches last night.
Does Marshall need a summer in the gym.Needs to be bigger inbackside+upper legs+chest arms+shoulers.Gets pushed out of contests.

-Selection
-Fumbling
-Poor I50's
-Poor finishing (we kicked 2.6 to the scoreboard end AGAIN in the 2nd)
-Play on at all costs gameplan? (there was literally no game plan other than hack it forward all night)
-dropped chest marks x1000

Crows took their chances and kick a few out their butt was probably the difference. We plastered over the cracks in the last qtr when the game was nearly over.

Thankful i didnt have to see Betts running around thumping his chest.

I wouldn't care if i seen some improvements in our game but its just the same tripe every week. Especially goal kicking.

That's the quietest 49500 ever.
Why do I think, nup why am I sure that ^ figure would have been 50k had it been their home game with the same number of people.
Sheesh I'm so wedded to there being a conspiracy against us that I reckon the video reviewer is against us.
Am I tin foil hat material or is paranoia total awareness.

****'ed if I know, fact ****'ed if I care anymore.

Always thought Howard was a fwd.

Regardless Marshall has gone backwards.

Who would’ve thought that the guy who once kicked 8 goals in an SANFL game, and yet still didn’t get selected for AFL duties mind you, would end up being half decent up forward?

Playing a forward for half a quarter = ‘we were brave and creative’

GTFO Hinkley- do you really think doing what would be the most common sense thing should be classified as ‘brave and creative’?

Really?

If this ******* actually played a forward for a whole game- we win.

Instead- Ken makes Alex Keath the crows version of Jeremy McGovern

We’re all fed up. It played out exactly how we thought it would.

None of what’s wrong right now is being forced on Hinkley through lack of players or support.

It’s entirely avoidable and that makes it infuriating.

A professional, well respected football club makes tough, sometimes unpopular decisions based on sound knowledge & solid rationale.

If I could speak candidly, the club should have put up Westhoff for trade years ago. That’s no disrespect to the Hoff himself as a person, but as a footballer he lacks physicality & mental toughness. Sure he is capable of stringing together some great games, but that’s not enough if you want to be a ruthless, win at all costs, successful football club.

On Motlop, I could genuinely understand the lure of recruiting him, but it’s been a failure. His unwillingness to put his head over the ball & regularly contribute over 4 qtrs of footy makes him redundant. Should be made to see out the remainder of his contract in the 2s, & only gain a reprieve if he can show toughness & consistency over a long period of time.

Bonner has some weapons & with age on his side is still capable of becoming a solid player. However, he shouldn’t be considered for selection until he can add some much needed hardness to his game. If he can’t show something by seasons end, should be put up for trade.

The club were happy to accommodate a trade for Amon last year but there were no takers. Has evidently shown some signs Of improvement this year, & if can continue to develop a competitive edge, is good enough to hold down a regular spot in the team.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back