Player Watch Callum Brown (Delisted 2022)

Remove this Banner Ad

Fair summation.

Just needs to finish significantly better. We have far too many blokes with poor footskills.
Even some of our better ball users have deteriorated this year which speaks to me of a serious deficiency in the training / coaching panel.

Our obsession with the tax is ridiculous - we seriously need to invest in what our players need to become the best that they can be whilst our window is wide open.

We have to remember that cal went down with glandular fever his first season which would've held him back a bit. Even when it's cleared it's still lingering for some time, would've only been over this past preseason where his body would fully respond to the training to make gains. Only onwards and upwards from here.

Even some of our better ball users have deteriorated this year which speaks to me of a serious deficiency in the training / coaching panel.

Our obsession with the tax is ridiculous - we seriously need to invest in what our players need to become the best that they can be whilst our window is wide open.
I always think there is a bit of revisionist history when it comes to skills. Skills are fine its the pace and congestion of the game that causes the skill errors. In the olden days most players did not run the 15ks per game they run these days except maybe the absolute elite. There was not the exhaustion there is now when set shots are being taken. Its not the coaching. its more the game.

I always think there is a bit of revisionist history when it comes to skills. Skills are fine its the pace and congestion of the game that causes the skill errors. In the olden days most players did not run the 15ks per game they run these days except maybe the absolute elite. There was not the exhaustion there is now when set shots are being taken. Its not the coaching. its more the game.
Disagree entirely.

Ablett Senior or Junior.

Senior there might be a case for.

Junior not so much. As good as junior has been he started his career a bit slowly, last few years not at his prime (he is getting older ofcourse).

But hard to be the greatest of all time if the overall body of work doesn’t match various players like Leigh Matthews, John Coleman, Ablett senior.

Great player but just not at the level of the above. And there are other players who would be better.

But great player.

Interesting discussion.
No, Junior. Without a doubt the greatest player of all time, he holds the record is a lot of important categories and went severely under the radar at Gold Coast.

Ablett has the most votes in brownlow history and has arguably won the best individual award (Leigh Matthews MVP) 5 times while the 2nd best has only won 2.

Ablett is comphrensively the most superior player the game has ever seen. He leads in both of the games greatest individual awards.

No, Junior. Without a doubt the greatest player of all time, he holds the record is a lot of important categories and went severely under the radar at Gold Coast.
Well just have to disagree.

Personally I don’t think he’s even in the discussion but fair enough if you feel that.

Great player no doubt.

Well just have to disagree.

Personally I don’t think he’s even in the discussion but fair enough if you feel that.

Great player no doubt.
Even though he has the most brownlow votes of all time which discounts your theory he started slow and the fact he has won 5 league MVPS (arguably games best individual honor) 5 times meanwhile the next best has won 2?
Ablett has also won the AFL coaches votes award 3 times, being the only multiple winner. So that's the 3 most important individual awards and he holds the record in all 3.

It wont be until Ablett retires people start to reflect more on his career and only then will he receive the plaudits he truly deserves.

Even though he has the most brownlow votes of all time which discounts your theory he started slow and the fact he has won 5 league MVPS (arguably games best individual honor) 5 times meanwhile the next best has won 2?
Ablett has also won the AFL coaches votes award 3 times, being the only multiple winner. So that's the 3 most important individual awards and he holds the record in all 3.

It wont be until Ablett retires people start to reflect more on his career and only then will he receive the plaudits he truly deserves.
Despite an over reliance by some on rubbery figures football - like most sports - remains a matter of perception.

Great player and a huge contributor but the second coming NO.

All Ablett jnr did was dominant modern footy, the hardest footy ever to dominate, for 10 years and win more awards than anyone in history, while getting 35 elite touches and 2 goals per game... someone in the 80s is way better though... because... modern players didnt get better...

Brownlow votes are far higher for midfield players with the bulk of the votes distributed that way these days.
Winners are winning now with 30 or so votes when past years past mid 20s was rare.

Leigh Matthews for quite a while has the most votes for a non winner.

Not doubting Ablett junior is a fantastic player but as an example Leigh Matthews was far superior. (Note word “far.”)

Leigh won the league goal kicking, scored over 900 goals (and roved a lot too). Not sure what awards were around in Leigh’s time but had he had the availability of awards today he’d collect them like shelling peas.
He was the power of De Goey and Millane combined with the dynamic of accuracy and skill.

If we were just using Brownlow votes what about Hayden Bunton who is the player to average more than 1 vote for games played. That’s unique.

A very simple question:

If you today had a choice to take to Collingwood (for say 13 - 15 years) of a career would you take (can only pick 1)

Leigh Matthews
Gary Ablett Snr
Gary Ablett Jnr
Tony Lockett
Wayne Carey

(For what it’s worth, Junior Gary I’d take as pick 5)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

All Ablett jnr did was dominant modern footy, the hardest footy ever to dominate, for 10 years and win more awards than anyone in history, while getting 35 elite touches and 2 goals per game... someone in the 80s is way better though... because... modern players didnt get better...

You take Lebron over Jordan as well?

Ablett has the most votes in brownlow history and has arguably won the best individual award (Leigh Matthews MVP) 5 times while the 2nd best has only won 2.

Ablett is comphrensively the most superior player the game has ever seen. He leads in both of the games greatest individual awards.
Hmmm, very interesting...best ever..Leigh Mathews MVP 5 times. I don't think this can be a qualifier for best ever. Bob Skilton for example would have needed a time machine to win one of those. But if he did have one, I would expect he would have won quite a few time to go with his 3 Brownlows. Calling players from different eras "best ever" is a futile exercise. But agree, G.A. jr is the best of his time.

Brownlow votes are far higher for midfield players with the bulk of the votes distributed that way these days.
Winners are winning now with 30 or so votes when past years past mid 20s was rare.

Not doubting Ablett junior is a fantastic player but as an example Leigh Matthews was far superior. (Note word “far.”)

Leigh won the league goal kicking, scored over 900 goals (and roved a lot too). Not sure what awards were around in Leigh’s time but had he had the availability of awards today he’d collect them like shelling peas.
He was the power of De Goey and Millane combined with the dynamic of accuracy and skill.

If we were just using Brownlow votes what about Hayden Bunton who is the player to average more than 1 vote for games played. That’s unique.

A very simple question:

If you today had a choice to take to Collingwood (for say 13 - 15 years) of a career would you take (can only pick 1)

Leigh Matthews
Gary Ablett Snr
Gary Ablett Jnr
Tony Lockett
Wayne Carey

Don't forget Bobby Skilton - South Melbourne's dynamic triple brownlow award winning rover.

Abblett best player of all time DMoore??

Either get your facts remotely correct or get your hand off it.

A very simple question:

Leigh Matthews
Gary Ablett Snr
Gary Ablett Jnr
Tony Lockett
Wayne Carey

To play the modern game I’d take GAJ

Don't forget Bobby Skilton - South Melbourne's dynamic triple brownlow award winning rover.

Abblett best player of all time DMoore??

Either get your facts remotely correct or get your hand off it.
Sure add Skilton to being superior to Ablett junior.

Whilst you were very descriptive in your post, I agree the stumbling block is the defining of greatest of all time.

But live that people are putting it out there and presenting their best ever for discussion.

Over the five I’ve named?

Fair enough.

For what it’s worth, Leigh would monster todays football. Think De Goey power and then square it; plus accuracy, plus brilliant football brains...

Sure add Skilton to being superior to Ablett junior.

Whilst you were very descriptive in your post, I agree the stumbling block is the defining of greatest of all time.

But live that people are putting it out there and presenting their best ever for discussion.
I tried not to be TOO descriptive saintly LOL.

But truly claiming ANY player to be the 'best of all times' is simply rubbish.

Far too subjective subject.

Even his old man was superior . .

NEVER in his wildest dreams of greatness could GAJ hope to kick 11 goals in a GF and almost single handedly drag his team over the line against a superior Hawks team.

GAJ is a great little player and eminently worthy of the awards he has in his cabinet but even for the modern game . . no not the best of the best.

Oh yeah, father over the son easily, my grandmother could get 35 possessions in modern football, and she's been dead for years.

Even his old man was superior . .

NEVER in his wildest dreams of greatness could GAJ hope to kick 11 goals in a GF and almost single handedly drag his team over the line against a superior Hawks team.

GAJ is a great little player and eminently worthy of the awards he has in his cabinet but even for the modern game . . no not the best of the best.
He kicked 9 not 11

Remove this Banner Ad

Back