Review Review: R8 v Port Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

The Ludicrous: “The Boos of respect for Tex”. Dwayno went to this well at least twice during the game “It shows how much they respect him”. Good grief

Sweet, i'll have to remember to boo more people as a show of respect.

Also, does this mean Gary Ablett Jnr has nothing to worry about?

ROB's competitiveness
Murps tackling pressure
CEY bullocking work. Needs to pick up disposals
Kelly and Hartigan played well despite a few wanting them out.
Keith. what can we say. Unbeatable
Can we have some close in kicking practice for Eddie and the big easy and Thor.

Liked:

beating Port Power. Always good.
Alex Keath, Danial Talia and Kyle Hartigan defensive prowess
The composure of Luke Brown
Rory Laird back to his sensational best form.
Greenwood’s hands. His in and under and ability to get his hands free.
Brad Crouch’s form.

Hated:

That we are now a low scoring team now but we are winning, so will overlook it.
Greenwood kicking into the man on the mark when Port Power were storming home.
The 6 minute period in the 4th Quarter when Port Power kicked 4 goals in a row. Was quite nerve racking.
Learnt:

We are getting much better at handing the pressure from teams who pressure us.
We can still win with Tex and Eddie having limited impact on the game.

wracking

By the way, specifically what did you like about Brad Crouch form?

Yeah that was bizarre. Walker kicked 2 goals (one of which sealed the game) and had an equal game-high 7 score involvements including that beautiful tap to Lynch. Wasn't even close to "thrashed"

Their hatred of Walker is one of the reasons I love him so much. He embodies pride in our club as much as anyone has since maybe Roo.

They can't get their line straight on him, it's genuinely funny. He's overrated and s**t, but they've done well to hold him to significant match impact. They focus energy booing him, but he's irrelevant. They just can't work it out.

And he consistently snatches Showdowns away from him. Look back at all of our recent showdown wins in close ones and you'll find pivotal Texan goals.

One that hasn't been mentioned in here as yet is jake kelly.

Thought it was his most composed, and subsequently best game for the year.

Never going to be a world beater but hes a committed, reliable and flexible 5th/6th defender for us. and with ball in hand he seems to have a learned a lot from Talia - never bites off more then he can chew (take note Harto!).

Been long CEY for a few years - good to see you're all seeing it now too :)
Kelly still got pushed out the goal square by Rozee of all people to let through a goal.

This is an alternate spelling. Not right or wrong.

By the way, specifically what did you like about Brad Crouch form?

1) he is actually on the park. Played 7 games in a row.
2) his ability to get the ball out and moving forward and winning a hard ball and contest after contest.
3) his kicking is very trustworthy. Some player just chuck it on the boot. He finds his target.

Although we may not dominate games like we did in 2017, we may be better equipped for a shot at the premiership due to this new defensive structure. We seem to be better balanced between attack and defence. Centre clearances are a bit of a concern but should be able to rectify this with Sloane, b crouch, m crouch, Greenwood, cey etc

Don’t think we need to waste Gibbs and Milera in defence either. Rotate them in the middle. As Carlton supporters keep mentioning, we are playing Gibbs out of position. He should be in the centre bounce according to them. Maybe he can boost our defitioncies there

(Log in to remove this ad.)

On the port board was one of the best comments i have read for a while and it was how i felt after going to the north melbourne game. He writes it is nice that the club (port) gave a couple of farewell games last night.

The most pleasing thing for me is that Pyke has adapted. There were comments about selection, no plan b etc but we are seeing a shift. He's adapted our game style and slowly making the correct calls at selection. Bit of a way to go to 100% convince me, but I do like the bloke.

This is an alternate spelling. Not right or wrong.

1) he is actually on the park. Played 7 games in a row.
2) his ability to get the ball out and moving forward and winning a hard ball and contest after contest.
3) his kicking is very trustworthy. Some player just chuck it on the boot. He finds his target.

You've taught me something! I have never seen it spelt as other than wrack, except on BF, but you are right. :huh:

Go.

Personally..

Liked: We played a full 4 quarters last week of tough, contested footy that isn't our plan "A" game wise and got the win. And we backed it up with 3 quarters and a little surge to get over the line this week of the same type of footy and we are in the 4 after a bad start to the year.

Hated : Every port player out there.

Learnt : We have one of the toughest draws going around. Going to be very hard to be top 4 with our draw.

Brisbane away
West Coast at home
Melbourne away
GWS at home
Richmond at home
Bye
Geelong away
Showdown again
Sun's away
Essendon home
Carlton away
Saints at home
West Coast away
Collingwood at home
Bulldogs away.

Pretty tough run for a team given we didn't make the finals last year.
Just my hot take. It looks pretty hard because that run home has a bunch of teams which have improved their footy from 2018. Even the teams which I've listed in red are all still dangerous except maybe Melbourne who look genuinely shithouse.

Teams that have improved vs 2018
Teams that have regressed vs 2018
Teams that are breaking even vs 2018

Brisbane away
West Coast at home
Melbourne away
GWS at home
Richmond at home
Bye
Geelong away
Port again
Sun's away
Essendon home
Carlton away
Saints at home
West Coast away
Collingwood at home
Bulldogs away.

Saw a glim
Although plenty here have gobsmackingly put a line through gooch. People seem to have forgotten his last half a dozen games last year. Young players need support not to be tossed aside.

Saw a glimpse of the future in that game last year when I went to see us beat Sydney at the SCG. I don't recall if he was in the best players or not, but he did lots of special close to the ground stuff and some very fast dashes in and out of the play, especially one lovely pass to Jenkins for a goal. There is something to like about this kid but he needs to get a wriggle on.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back