Autopsy Round 8, 2019: St.Kilda v West Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

Not today sorry - would have been good to see Max King.
Had to give away most of the Sandy games this year - a little much going on this year for me to do all the games I'll like ....

Dave.
We had a chat there last year and was hoping you were going in case my photos turn out s**t , now im under pressure ((((

Funny how in every game StKilda has ever played we have been reamed by the umpires (especially when we lose)

Hey, you know infinitely more about the game than I do, no question, but I can only call it as I saw it from ten thousand miles away, where even the TV pundits were saying we were very hard done by. Even I know what constitutes a free for holding off the ball, yet the umpires didn't seem to. We were poor, no question, but the umpires did us no favours at all.

Game went as expected. I’m not that disappointed in the game or the season, I’m disappointed in where we are as a club. We’ve got so much wrong on & off the field over the last 6 years & this is the result. A poor list & poor people in off field positions across the footy department. Despite the good start to the year & the endless injury excuses we look like a middling-bottom side with no light at the end of the tunnel. We’ve literally made no progress as a footy team since 2016. A wasted era that needs rebuilding from the ground up. Let’s hope Winx is our saviour.

We kicked the ball backwards , sideways countless times been mentioned even by own players post game

They knew it but kept doing it what does that tell you that’s not pressure that’s. DUMB

In the end invariably turning it over , keep saying it we practiced all summer having 3 marking
forwards , 3 smaller types , we accept too easily loses of this type , hard at the contest , we weren’t
yesterday , low tackle tells you that , 2nd & 3rd efforts what are they , if we lost the ball we rolled over.

Just lazy execution hurts you ,had countless chances of moving the ball by foot instead telegraph
handballs , we had a fantastic opportunity yesterday squandered it , Josh Kennedy banged up , no Nick Nat,
McGovern out of form
..really frustrating to win the ball and simply butcher it also.
No Carlisle, no Geary, no Roberton, no Steven, no Lonie, no Hannebery.. No offence but what's good for the goose is good for the gander.

Just on the umpiring... we can say all we want 'They didn't cost us the game', however I think you can argue they actually did or at least contributed to it significantly. We lost the game by 3 goals, they received 2 goals from free kicks in the first quarter, at least one of which was soft, Bruce wasn't paid a clear mark in the goalsquare, the umpire failed to give us a 50m penalty after our player was whacked over the head after winning holding the ball, and Darling clearly blocked Battle before Ryan's mark that he goaled from. That is all just off the top of my head, I'm sure there were others, particularly the free to Kennedy which I think he missed, but that was probably the worst decision of the night. Different set of rules for our forwards it seemed.

The umpiring was putridly one-sided and I really hope we make a call this week for a please-explain.

Rooey suggested we might be too coachable, that they follow instruction instead of using initiative. One week we go bombing, the next we **** around with the ball.
They definitely lowered there eyes going in this week. It just didn't come off very well. Eagles pressure was pretty good and we got caught taking too long but it was an improvement on our bombing away aproach from last week i thought.

Is here where we point out Battle is averaging more marks (including contested marks) and more disposals (including a better disposal efficiency) than Lever at the same age?

Or that his stats are almost identical to Doedee last year, and he was second in the rising star.

Or that his stats are considerably better than Harris Andrews at the same age.

Or that he has Weitering covered in everything apart from clangers and frees against at the same age, and his output is basically identical to Weitering now, even though Weitering has more than 50 games on him.

Very quietly the kid is turning into a star. Can we please park the “Battle needs to go forward” stuff we keep saying every week. Kids tracking to be a star 2nd or 3rd defender!

Perspective changes watching at the game to watching on TV.

One thing you don’t see so well on the TV is the amount of blocking the Eagles get away with in marking contests. But I guess they won a Premiership based on that.

Also a few times when the pressure was on and we needed a quick handball, we were just giving these big loopy ones over a couple of metres that meant our players had less time to make a decision.

Watching on TV I noticed Billings played a lot better than I thought. I’ve always been critical of how little he imposes himself on the game but watching again I thought his first and last quarters were terrific.

Long seems to have no confidence. Just trying to tap the ball towards other players. Knocked it straight to Ryan for a shot at goal in the last quarter.

On TV, the umpires were merely bad, not terrible. And I don’t want to seem numberist, but that umpire with the even number made some shocking decisions.

Finally, I was right behind that Savage shot and my first thought was “why are you centering that ball?” The camera angles didn’t do it justice.

Is here where we point out Battle is averaging more marks (including contested marks) and more disposals (including a better disposal efficiency) than Lever at the same age?

Or that his stats are almost identical to Doedee last year, and he was second in the rising star.

Or that his stats are considerably better than Harris Andrews at the same age.

Or that he has Weitering covered in everything apart from clangers and frees against at the same age, and his output is basically identical to Weitering now, even though Weitering has more than 50 games on him.

Very quietly the kid is turning into a star. Can we please park the “Battle needs to go forward” stuff we keep saying every week. Kids tracking to be a star 2nd or 3rd defender!
Yeah he's doing really well. I had been one of the people suggesting a move forward a month ago but he's improving quickly. Reads the ball very well in the air and takes it at the highest point. His skills are fantastic as well for a KPD. Battle, Carlisle and Wilkie would have to be the best kicking tall defensive trio we have had in a long time if they all get on the park together.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Forgot to add, one sided players were doing my head in last night. Either ignoring options because they were on the wrong side, or taking that extra step and getting into trouble. Ross probably the biggest culprit, but he wasn’t alone.

Pleasing Phillips played ok today ,
We play ridiculous dumb football unfortunately handball happy to guys a metre away under pressure
just needed to kick the ball to players in the clear , just little or no composure.

Total brain fades unfortunately ,gifted easy goals .

Tackled poorly last night , pretty much 2018 performance

Regardless of personal out , selection questionable , tactically dumb having Bruce 60 metres
from goal, had a number of opportunities last night to kick the ball forward through centre of the
ground , just lazy half arsed kicking the ball care factor nil Ross , Webster in particular.
Regretably Newnes had a shocker all night , but had a really good year .

Could have easily won with some brainpower , typical Stkilda performance of recent years.

Membrey , Sinclair , Ross , featured highly , unfortunately

Positives for year for me Battle , Wilkie & Marshall .

As for umpires well you know what you get with them ......not much.

Annoying part of the competition as a whole perception top teams Collingwood, West Coast
get gifted them week in week out , even when playing poorly ( stats don’t lie )
Thought Donlan & Nicholls missed a lot ..unfortunately the other one just guessed .

Certainly weren’t the reason we lost last night though .
Stew 66 , agree 100%
The only good coming out of these defeats are we are getting games into a lot of our younger guys.
Battle , Wilkie , Paton & Marshall are building into extremely good players.
Bruce as you say needs to be playing closer to goal so we have a goal scoring threat , hopefully when Carlisle comes back he will play at CHF to give our forward line some teeth.

Looking at the cattle we had last season(not new recruits this season), just wondering who is taking the next step- I expect those that have been there a couple of seasons, should be steadily improving. Battle, Marshall and Lonie are obvious, Billings is better than last season, Paton showing good promise, but after that it seems to be dropping away. Those who seem to be treading water are Steele, Sinclair, Gresham, Newnes, Acres, Membrey, Bruce, Dunstan- too many for my liking- all inconsistent. Seems that the midfield is really much like the last few seasons- no one is having great seasons, just plodding along.

I still think we need to go shopping for FA, we are going to be a lot more appealing with a bit of momentum. We don't need spots with Roberton and Paddy unlikely to come back and Longer and Pierce looking like it would take a miracle to be on our list. Probably another couple like Rice that might struggle to get another go. We can't afford to lose anyone of quality. Stuv is probably 50/50 to play with us so if we lost him and another player like Seb, we replace them with one good player (who none are really available) we are still starting down a good player so are significantly worse than before.

Coniglio looks ideal, hopefully we can get Gubby in his ear selling him the vision. Jones is like slight upgrade on Dunny so no real win. Tomlinson looks like he's not really what we need.
As you say Gringo we need to go hard after the FA's Coniglio and Tomlinson are the 2 I would want - Coniglio is just a A grade player and Tomlinson is a very good utility - good mark , kick and can play anywhere.
Out of the uncontracted players I would like Langdon from Fremantle.

Our backline is settled to me

Paton - ( Joyce / Austin / Marsh / Clavarino ) - Webster - need to find a replacement for Brown
McKenzie - Battle - Wilkie - Savage - Geary

Marshall - Hannebery , Coniglio , Langdon , Ross , Steele , Acres

Billings - Tomlinson - Newnes - Lonie - Sinclair

Membery - Carlisle - Steven - Carlisle can be moved between CHB and CHF - just played where needed
Parker - Bruce - King - 3 tall's I expect to be picked so one of Membery , Bruce , King would be moved for a small

Kent - Long - Hunter - Coffield - Bytel - Phillips - Hind - Biggie

Getting Coniglio will most probably out of reach but that is the type of player we need however Taranto would be good as well.

I feel Tomlinson is gettable - just about had him before and being a FA its just coin we have to part with.
Langdon is another we went after before so he could be a guy we could grab.

But if we can get a Coniglio , Taranto type with Tomlinson FA and Langdon we would be top 4 with getting a fit Carlisle and Hannebery

Hey, you know infinitely more about the game than I do, no question, but I can only call it as I saw it from ten thousand miles away, where even the TV pundits were saying we were very hard done by. Even I know what constitutes a free for holding off the ball, yet the umpires didn't seem to. We were poor, no question, but the umpires did us no favours at all.
This was the free that sent our fans into ballistic over drive last night.....looks like Brown was holding imo

Attachments

• Free.jpg
    Free.jpg
    448.7 KB · Views: 189
This was the free that sent our fans into ballistic over drive last night.....looks like Brown was holding imo

It's very difficult to tell from a still shot, but I thought some of the numerous frees for so-called holding were very soft, and most went against us. Don't turn Aussie Rules into soccer, where physical contact is almost completely outlawed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back