Review Pies win a thriller (Blues 87-106 Pies)

Remove this Banner Ad

Reid really struggled against the strength and height of Casboult, i think the American would have exposed him more.
Casboult was excellent. I think he would have knocked Cox off balance as easily as he did Reid. I actually think he can be a great defender on anyone who can't easily do him for pace.

Probably because he is one of the repeat offenders in front of goal with set shots - struggling to make the distance from 40m and spraying most of the rest.

I am glad to see him coming along in most other areas though - he does seem to be a smart player , dual sided, light on his feet and giving more overall than what I had expected at the start of the year.

Probably still on the borderline of "best 22" but coming along nicely.
Not on his Pat Malone when it comes to poor kicking on goal

Yep. We were pretty good today - especially in the first 7/8 of the game - but you found a way to win anyway. You only had to watch Buckley's reaction at the end of the game - he knew it was a big deal. I think people get sucked into the narrative framed by others: people have been potting Carlton all week and rightly so, because last week's effort was unacceptable. People either don't understand (or just flat out don't want to know) that our North game was the aberration, and that the 2019 standard has been much higher than that. Today was not some miracle where we played out of our skins; it was just a reversion to our 2019 type. Slowly, the wheel is turning.

+1

When Collingwood aren’t playing, I do enjoy watching Carlton get belted for entertainment ...

... so I’ve seen a bunch of Carlton games this year. This year they’re a very different team and are becoming scary good.

No way will they finish the year bottom of the ladder. I reckon they could easily win half of their remaining games.

The ladder still says 1-7, but the first-order questions have been settled.

I don’t think they have. I reckon Bolton needs to go before Carlton can fully realise their potential.

Our autopsy thread is mostly about the free kick count. It really is more fun over here.

If Bolton were a decent coach, he would have said in his post match presser “The umpiring isn’t the reason why we lost today”

Last edited:
I don’t think they have. I reckon Bolton needs to go before Carlton can fully realise their potential.

If Bolton were a decent coach, he would have said in his post match presser “Neither free kick count nor the umpiring aren’t the reasons why we lost today”

1) At the moment, still essentially a chicken-and-egg argument. We lost yesterday because as a team, we lack strength and fitness (which was also a factor in the free-kick count; too many young bodies struggling to compete physically in the one-on-ones), which in turn reflects our age profile. It's Carlton's fault that we had zero players in the 25-28 bracket yesterday (Collingwood had 11), but it's not necessarily Bolton's fault. Nevertheless, I think your question will be asked for the duration of his tenure, unless he wins a flag.

2) Sounds a bit Dougie Hawkins - he might have been asked for a clarification! Bolton batted the question away, which is about as much as you can expect in the circumstances. If Clarkson had been asked the same question, he'd have set up breakfast dates with every boss in AFL House (starting with Gil), on the spot. And even 'decent' coaches say silly things sometimes - I choose to interpret Buckley's assertion that Collingwood won because they "wanted it more" as an inappropriate cliche, rather than being intentionally disrespectful/ridiculous. Victors write history, don't they? Play on.

The bar is set pretty high for senior coaches in the post-match press conference, and we judge them harshly. You only need to look at the corresponding (and frequently pathetic) displays in the rugby codes to realise how lucky we are, as an AFL community, to be able to expect (and receive) generally mature and reasoned responses from both coaches in that environment.

Yup - hence "one of the repeat offenders " :)

We really are adept at crushing our momentum with poor kicking , but it's been that way for some time and no sign of it changing :huh:
We were pretty deadly last year, but JDG and Thomas are having a rough patch. Stephenson is getting a heap of shots at the edge of his range and Brown needs to get a routine.

The bar is set pretty high for senior coaches in the post-match press conference, and we judge them harshly. You only need to look at the corresponding (and frequently pathetic) displays in the rugby codes to realise how lucky we are, as an AFL community, to be able to expect (and receive) generally mature and reasoned responses from both coaches in that environment.

I do think it’s possible for us punters to watch the way a senior coach presents himself publicly, strip back the clichés that get rolled out for the benefit of the cameras and the fans, add in the requisite bakings and choice language, and try to imagine “If I were a twenty-something lad listening to this bloke yabber on in a team meeting ... would he be getting the best out of me?”

I just don’t reckon Bolton would be that inspiring. To be candid, years ago I didn’t Buckley had it at the time either. I always thought the most inspiring coach was Walsh RIP :(

As for Clarkson, it’s easy to judge someone who has a mountain of runs on the board ...

... but you just know that he’d be one seriously scary dude.

We were pretty deadly last year, but JDG and Thomas are having a rough patch. Stephenson is getting a heap of shots at the edge of his range and Brown needs to get a routine.

You're right - there was a substantial period last year where we were really on with goal kicking (Mihocek and Thomas especially) but outside of that is seems like many years that we've been wasteful in front of goal and also been prone to players like Adams/Howe/Flipper etc......doing their weekly super low percentage shocker across the ground.

Perhaps it seems worse than it is (relative to other teams) but our kicking has been a bugbear of mine for as long as I can remember , especially in cases where there are clear technique issues that should've been addressed long ago.

Hopefully it'll click again at some point this year - there's nothing more frustrating than keeping the opposition side in it when lots of good work is undone through really simple kicking mistakes.

I’ve just rewatched the game and hand on heart, I just can’t see where all the umpiring outrage is coming from. In fact the Carlton players were given a lot of latitude and freedom by the umpires in regards to holding the ball, especially in the 3rd quarter. It seems to be ignorant and biased match commentators (both Ch7 & Fox are equally guilty here) that drive this perception and are the source of the controversy. Couple that with salty, petulant supporters of the losing team and so-called “neutrals” with their deep seated dislike of a given team and sure as eggs, umpires were crap and the sole reason a team has lost. The faux outrage and confected controversy week after week is getting really old and tired. Some focus on skills, strategy and game plan execution when analysing, both during and post game, wouldn’t go astray. Never going to happen with the current crop of commentators, I know but we can only live in hope.

I’ve just rewatched the game and hand on heart, I just can’t see where all the umpiring outrage is coming from. In fact the Carlton players were given a lot of latitude and freedom by the umpires in regards to holding the ball, especially in the 3rd quarter. It seems to be ignorant and biased match commentators (both Ch7 & Fox are equally guilty here) that drive this perception and are the source of the controversy. Couple that with salty, petulant supporters of the losing team and so-called “neutrals” with their deep seated dislike of a given team and sure as eggs, umpires were crap and the sole reason a team has lost. The faux outrage and confected controversy week after week is getting really old and tired. Some focus on skills, strategy and game plan execution when analysing, both during and post game, wouldn’t go astray. Never going to happen with the current crop of commentators, I know but we can only live in hope.
It's not the commentators so much as the industry itself - the media is driven by trashy instant gratification sound grabs and third rate editors masquerading as industry professionals.

Too much focus on being the story instead of presenting it.

Pathetic bunch of naval gazing narcissists the whole industry.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’ve just rewatched the game and hand on heart, I just can’t see where all the umpiring outrage is coming from. In fact the Carlton players were given a lot of latitude and freedom by the umpires in regards to holding the ball, especially in the 3rd quarter. It seems to be ignorant and biased match commentators (both Ch7 & Fox are equally guilty here) that drive this perception and are the source of the controversy. .

Was your favourite part towards the end and Jason Dunstall lets out his depressed exhale every time we executed a piece of decent play?

Because that was my favourite part

The top sides get the run of the mill in umpiring decisions because the weaker teams play undisciplined football trying to stop their brilliance ...We all were on the #freekickhawthorn bandwagon during their three peat years. Now everyone is having a crack at our high free kick counts. It comes with the territory of being a very good side. Get over it oppo supporters.

Last edited:
The top sides get the run of the mill in umpiring decisions because the weaker teams play undisciplined football trying to stop their brilliance ...We all were on the #freekickhawthorn bandwagon during their three peat years. Now everyone is having a crack at our high free kick counts. It comes with the territory of being a very good side. Get over it oppo supporters.

Exactly finally someone else realises. Teams find it harder to stop the good sides while staying within the rules of the game hense a higher free kick tally. Plus need to factor in holding the ball decisions good teams often apply good pressure resulting in these

When there is a big discrepancy in frees there is always outrage, regardless of whether the discrepancy was justified. I think we'll tend to get more frees than the opposition, because defensively I think we're pretty clean and under-scrag if anything. So opposition complaints are something that we need to live with.

I do think we got the rub of the green against the Blues though.

When there is a big discrepancy in frees there is always outrage, regardless of whether the discrepancy was justified. I think we'll tend to get more frees than the opposition, because defensively I think we're pretty clean and under-scrag if anything. So opposition complaints are something that we need to live with.

I do think we got the rub of the green against the Blues though.
For me it's not frees paid but those ignored - the non call on the Thomas' leg dive incident is directly against all precedent and the clear intent of the pertinent rule

Casboult was excellent. I think he would have knocked Cox off balance as easily as he did Reid. I actually think he can be a great defender on anyone who can't easily do him for pace.

Cox would of been even worse in the body vs body situations and how casboult was nudging Reid under the ball another cox career weakness, I guess where the potential improvement would come from is dump balls having a better contest as they had a lot of clean marks back there.

Cox would of been even worse in the body vs body situations and how casboult was nudging Reid under the ball another cox career weakness, I guess where the potential improvement would come from is dump balls having a better contest as they had a lot of clean marks back there.

Casboult needs to play in defence. There isn't a tall forward in the comp who will beat or even match him in the air. Watching him did make me laugh at the Blues incompetence even further though. They've spent so much in draft picks to get Weitering, Plowman and Marchbank, but the whole time they've had a far better option spudding it up in their forward line.

+1

When Collingwood aren’t playing, I do enjoy watching Carlton get belted for entertainment ...

... so I’ve seen a bunch of Carlton games this year. This year they’re a very different team and are becoming scary good.

No way will they finish the year bottom of the ladder. I reckon they could easily win half of their remaining games.
They are scary good when everything clicks. Which applies to basically the complete comp bar Norf and Suns. Consistency and depth is an issue though. Half of their games is a tad optimistic; Dogs, Suns are gettable . Sydney and Saints possible. After that, it really comes down to their opponent having an off day.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back