Review GWS Giants vs Hawthorn Horks - Sun 12th May @ the MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Well, here's a turnup, the AFL have let our boys onto their "hallowed turf" before finals, clearly someone cocked up and heads will roll..

1557578479913.png

1557578521506.png

Ex the AFL website:

Where and when: MCG, Sunday May 12, 3.20pm AEST

Last time they met: Giants Stadium, round 15, 2018: GWS 13.17 (95) defeated Hawthorn 13.6 (84)

The Giants looked as though they would blow the Hawks away by quarter-time but couldn't shake their plucky opponents throughout the night. Callan Ward was best on ground with 32 disposals and two goals, while Tom Mitchell's 50 touches kept the Hawks in the game.

TV, radio and online: Click here for broadcast guide

What it means for Hawthorn: After three losses in their last four games, the Hawks need a stabilising win to keep their finals hopes intact. However, that is easier said than done against a strong Giants side.

What it means for GWS: The Giants have won five of their last six matches to entrench themselves in the top four. Another victory here could give them breathing space inside the eight.

How Hawthorn wins: By locking down defensively. James Frawley is set to return from a hamstring injury this weekend, while James Siciliy has been in good form. They'll need to shine if the Hawks are to shut down a potent Giants forward line.

How GWS wins: By getting off to another flying start. The Giants kicked eight goals to two in the opening term against the Saints. Doing similar this weekend could erase any bad memories of recent visits to the MCG.

The stat: The Giants have a pretty disappointing MCG record, winning only two of their 15 games at the home of footy in the club's history.

The match-up: James Frawley v Jeremy Cameron

Frawley has missed three weeks with a hamstring problem but is set to return for just about the toughest test in footy against Cameron this weekend. Cameron has kicked 30 goals from seven games and has a significant lead in the Coleman Medal race. Quelling him will be important.

It's a big week for: Jack Gunston (Hawthorn)

Having returned to form with three goals from 20 disposals and eight marks last week, Gunston can provide the spark the Hawks need up forward. He must maintain this form if his side is to kick a tally big enough to overcome a free-scoring Giants team.

Big call: Cameron runs riot again to put a 100-goal season in his sights

Prediction: Giants by 22 points

Ex our own Land of the Giants :

Well, that went well, didn’t it?

Down a euphemism-load of first choice players, and facing an up-and-coming team in quite good form, we not only got the four points, but demonstrated an amount of depth that probably surprised most of us.

Initially it looked like the Saints had come to play, but the first quarter ended up being something of a clinic. We took control and were sailing along at 85% kick efficiency, an unheard-of figure.

Yes, we took our eye off the ball after quarter time, and the Saints fought back and won the second quarter, but we responded and easily won the second half, producing a handy and perhaps unexpected percentage boost.

Next week we’re off to the home of football to play the Hawks.

Hawthorn had their hearts broken this afternoon by a desperate Demons side. Having led for most of the afternoon, the Hawks were overtaken in a thrilling final quarter to lose by less than a kick. That kind of loss is really deflating.

We've had their measure for the past few years (including that notorious draw in Launceston a couple of years ago, where I was almost outed by General Giant), and given the form of both teams, I’m not expecting any real problems next Sunday, even thought it’s at the MCG. In fact, this is a golden opportunity to improve our horrendous record down there; we’ve only won twice in fifteen starts!

We’ll probably have Phil Davis back, which is more than handy, given the injury to Aidan Corr this afternoon. I think Jeremey Cameron will probably be OK, but I don’t think Adam Kennedy will be back next week, which is a pity, because he’s been so good for us since returning last season. I don’t know about Josh Kelly, those adductor strains do take their time to heal, and we were able to win today without him, so there is no rush. Apart from that I don’t see the need for major surgery to the team, because we’re playing quite well.

The bottom line is that I think we have the Hawks covered.

Here’s to a much-needed win at the MCG. Go Giants!

So incorrect disposal is not a thing either

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Only if you’re in orange.
I think one of our more frustrating traits is that we don't play the umpires' interpretations. We constantly try to get rid of the ball correctly when the "correct" (unpenalized) play is to hold it or drop it to advantage as soon as we feel contact. Instead the hampered attempts to handball or kick leads to correct incorrect disposal calls against us while the alternatives are unpenalized week after week.

KevDawg

EFC & GWS
Jun 6, 2015
Now Sydney
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Essendon, GWS & Giants Womens
Just want the umpiring to apply to both teams evenly.
FFS.
Every game, both my teams get screwed over.
Call it both ways.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

KevDawg

EFC & GWS
Jun 6, 2015
Now Sydney
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
I think one of our more frustrating traits is that we don't play the umpires' interpretations. We constantly try to get rid of the ball correctly when the "correct" (unpenalized) play is to hold it or drop it to advantage as soon as we feel contact. Instead the hampered attempts to handball or kick leads to correct incorrect disposal calls against us while the alternatives are unpenalized week after week.
Good call.
That “knocked out in the tackle, play on”, compared to “dropping the ball, incorrect disposal”, sh!ts me to tears.

Plenty of effort, buggerall composure
Usual complaint: we're so static on our short chips. You can see Hawthorn clearing space and then running into it, manoeuvring it well. We just all stand and wait for a kick and hope for a contested mark.

Edit: and then Haynes burns Coniglio when he actually leads in space in preference for a long kick/turnover.

Teeso

All Australian
Jan 8, 2017
AFL Club
GWS
Jezza looking fragile today with some very half-hearted attempts at mark. Not really charging at the contest with his normal enthusiasm. Wonder if he is still in quite severe pain.

KevDawg

EFC & GWS
Jun 6, 2015
Now Sydney
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Pretty sure that hit into the boundary screens hurt more than he’s letting on.
He lay on the ground wincing for some time before getting up for the kick.

Teeso

All Australian
Jan 8, 2017
AFL Club
GWS
He has been beaten from pillar to post. Probably very very sore.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
As important as it is to win, we need fit players. His shoulder has been hammered every week the last 2/3 weeks - seems to ram it into everything. If he benefits from a week or two off to recover, would prefer we give Sproule a shot. Cameron will be essential if we are to get into the finals and make a run deep into September.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back