Review Dees v the Aureus Coast: the Good, the Bad & the Fugly

Apr 18, 2005
AFL Club
Melbourne
Fox footy showed a stat saying we only manage a score from 33% of our entries. The next worse was the dogs with 37%
I just did the goals average, so yeah that would make sense.

Horrendous isn’t it? I think that this puts into perspective that our backline is on the receiving end of some unnecessary criticism.

If I were Goodwin I’d be making Max Rooke work very hard for his wage.

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
I just did the goals average, so yeah that would make sense.

Horrendous isn’t it? I think that this puts into perspective that our backline is on the receiving end of some unnecessary criticism.

If I were Goodwin I’d be making Max Rooke work very hard for his wage.

The defence has deserved it aswell. It's one thing not scoring, it's another letting them score from every entry.

Apr 18, 2005
AFL Club
Melbourne
The defence has deserved it aswell. It's one thing not scoring, it's another letting them score from every entry.
It’s also one thing letting the defence get overwhelmed with entries because we can’t keep the ball in 50 and opposition transition buries our midfield.

I agree, we haven’t been top notch defensively, but looking at a 33% scoring rate for each entry and a 19% goal conversion, the issue needs to lie as priority to fix up forward. Now without Lever and May to help that, I think Frost has done really well given he is not a primary defender.

The one guy I am really disappointed in is Brayshaw. I actually think he is very lazy. Petracca also. ANB has copped it, TMac has been off, and Weidemann is really young. We are basically counting on our midfield and experienced forwards to stop this, but it isn’t happening.

Until we start kicking the Ball properly, and organising our forward line properly, we are going to continue to get ruined on the rebound. WC for example will punish us, Hurn and McGovern will glove everything and with Hurn ranked second in disposal efficiency (I believe he still is) it’ll get mighty ugly over there.

Bit rich people saying just be happy with the four points. It was a diabolical game to watch and we would have been lucky to tie it, let alone win it. If you're only interested in the points, why not just check the results after the game and work out whether you're happy / raging? Obviously the game itself doesn't matter...

I think you’re misunderstanding. That wasn’t a perfect game, and our season is clearly ****ed from many angles, so it’s nice to come away with a win after a dramatic finish.

Crusty Demon

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2009
Brighton
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
If we ever win a GF I hope it's an abomination of a game so we can all spend perpetuity complaining about how we didn't deserve to win it, and we're the worst premiers of all time.
Haha. I was actually at the game with my parents. Even though our disposal for most of the game was poor, i actually thought our workrate and effort was the best all season. Our pressure was great all game and I thought our defence was as solid as I've seen this year and yet again we proved we can get plenty of inside 50s. TMac hit the scoreboard, our tackling showed intent, we just got let down again with our forward entries. We know what we need to fix at least.

The game wasn't a great spectacle, so what! Most games every week are horrible to watch. We dominated GC and yeah, should have won by 6 goals. But anyone saying they'd rather lose than win can GAGF. I've seen this team lose enough over the years, and saying you'd rather we lost just continues this losing culture this club has. Pathetic. Take the wins, even when we don't play that well. We know our issues and what we need to work on already. I'd suggest a tough gritty exciting win like that would give the team much more confidence than a loss.

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Haha. I was actually at the game with my parents. Even though our disposal for most of the game was poor, i actually thought our workrate and effort was the best all season. Our pressure was great all game and I thought our defence was as solid as I've seen this year and yet again we proved we can get plenty of inside 50s. TMac hit the scoreboard, our tackling showed intent, we just got let down again with our forward entries. We know what we need to fix at least.

The game wasn't a great spectacle, so what! Most games every week are horrible to watch. We dominated GC and yeah, should have won by 6 goals. But anyone saying they'd rather lose than win can go away. I've seen this team lose enough over the years, and saying you'd rather we lost just continues this losing culture this club has. Pathetic. Take the wins, even when we don't play that well. We know our issues and what we need to work on already. I'd suggest a tough gritty exciting win like that would give the team much more confidence than a loss.

Haha what rubbish. We knew about our kicking inside 50 issues in round 1 last season. All these wins do is give the club an excuse to come out and say 'see it's working'

Brayshaw. Maybe all the concussions have dented his play style (which is fair enough). But his awareness and general play is not AFL standard.

Are you exaggerating or do you actually believe this?

Crusty Demon

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2009
Brighton
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
Haha what rubbish. We knew about our kicking inside 50 issues in round 1 last season. All these wins do is give the club an excuse to come out and say 'see it's working'
No it's not rubbish mate. That's complete and utter bs to suggest you'd rather we lose than win. That's rubbish. If you think we magically change the way we play because of a close loss, then you're delusional. If you think the coaches are ecstatic about that performance then you're even more delusional. I've seen enough losses in my life to know you take the wins and enjoy them. The effort was there, the tackling and pressure was there, but the skills wasn't. If you don't think the coaches know that, then that's delusional.

Not happy about the Hibberd injury but that hit typified our effort yesterday. Maybe you couldn't see it on tv, but at the ground the boys worked bloody hard, tackled with intent, and put on the best pressure I've seen from us this season. If nothing else, a win gives the players some confidence. I don't know how any supporter can say they'd rather a loss than a win.

Ah ******** mate. You don't change your opinion on 119 minutes of football because the last minute went your way. A crap performance is a crap performance.
It was actually the last 40 seconds. ;) #accuracy

I’ll take the observations of someone who actually attended the game over Those viewing on tv. You can get wholistic view of the game and not be beholden to 7’s tight tv shots.

Don’t think there will be any ‘see it’s working’ from this, they’re not that delusional to think we’ve clicked.

deeco

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 3, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
Wasn't ideal, but our general play looked a lot sharper. Still need to figure out the whole not plopping it right on the biggest defender the other team has got's head and getting shredded on the counter after said kick. Dunno how you fix that and clearly neither does Goody.

Loved reading the Suns melting about umpires on their board, not sure if the soft s**t they were paid all game was part of the umpires rigging the game for us or umpiring only counts in the last 40 seconds of a game?

Tempy Tiger

Premiership Player
Sep 18, 2006
AFL Club
Melbourne
Eww......

Disgusting game, Id have rather we lost.
Nothing to be happy about in that game and the wins a win attitude is dumb. Assess the performance not the result, you cant ignore the crap show because we got lucky at the end, the 99% of the game before the point was pox ridden.
Same crap every week but against different opposition, wasted inside 50s from composure less mids happy to stat pad. A forward line without functioning keys and with bloody average crumbers.

Hibberd, Melksham and Lewis all look certain to miss weeks and we had 6 men in the VFL last week. Rough

Oscar Mcdonald is a waste of a man on the ground another 8 disposal game and 0 contested marks 0 intercept marks, 3 for the season
Billy Stretch should enjoy it while it lasts, hes a nothing AFL player.
Declan Keilty wont play much more AFL footy
Jordan Lewis hopefully never plays again
Jack Viney shouldnt have played, didnt need him and he was useless.
Olivers 38 disposals were some of the most useless wasteful disposals you are ever likely to see, almost picks the wrong option everytime at the moment.
Brayshaw and Fritsch are lazy as **** without the ball
You’re a self hating self flagellating sadomasochist. Life is a gift TK, use it as you choose.

AmericanAFL

Cancelled
Shiny Penny
Oct 8, 2018
Near Philly
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Philadelphia Eagles
You’re a self hating self flagellating sadomasochist. Life is a gift TK, use it as you choose.

I got a good laugh from this post- much of it stemming from PG’s thumbs up of it.

I suspect TK’s “I would rather we had lost” sentiment is more a visceral reaction than a truly held belief. Any of us dumb enough to continue tuning each week for this s**t, will undoubtedly be happy that we are indeed 3-5 when it comes time to bounce the ball in Perth.

The eye test would suggest that we are one of the three worst teams in the comp this year, along with Sydney and GC. That being said GWS have looked a lot like us today (especially when it comes to struggling at the MCG) and Hawthorn have pumped them, so.

AmericanAFL

Cancelled
Shiny Penny
Oct 8, 2018
Near Philly
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Philadelphia Eagles
The eye test would suggest that we are one of the three worst teams in the comp this year, along with Sydney and GC. That being said GWS have looked a lot like us today (especially when it comes to struggling at the MCG) and Hawthorn have pumped them, so.

Be sure to warn hawks fans about the perils of roof dancing Alastair, you filthy campaigner

Cannon82

Cancelled
10k Posts Melbourne Poster of the Year Melbourne Demons - Ben Kennedy Player Sponsor 2016 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Player Sponsor 2015 Melbourne Demons - Dom Barry Sponsor 2014 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Sponsor 2014
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
If we ever win a GF I hope it's an abomination of a game so we can all spend perpetuity complaining about how we didn't deserve to win it, and we're the worst premiers of all time.

Do you reckon there might be something of a difference between scraping home with the biscuits against a genuinely crap team when you're 2-5 and playing atrocious football, and playing in a grand final? You won't have to worry about the latter happening while we're playing like we do in the former case.

Cannon82

Cancelled
10k Posts Melbourne Poster of the Year Melbourne Demons - Ben Kennedy Player Sponsor 2016 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Player Sponsor 2015 Melbourne Demons - Dom Barry Sponsor 2014 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Sponsor 2014
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne

GWS aren't that great either. Have bled a lot of good players in recent years, and even though they've still got quite a bit of talent and some good kids coming through, they have a lot of younger players in the 18 as well as some honest toilers who would struggle to get a game elsewhere. Was surprised they were 5-2.

Cannon82

Cancelled
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
Lynch: Gold Coast just hanging in here.

A minute latter

Lynch: Melbourne in trouble here.

Got nothing on Dwayne Russell.

[TEAM 1 kicks a goal] "That'll be the game!"
[TEAM 2 kicks a goal] "It's not over yet, [TEAM 2] are back in this!"
[TEAM 1 kicks a goal] "And now they've iced it!"
[TEAM 2 kicks a goal] "[TEAM 2] just won't back down, they're coming back here!"
[TEAM 1 kicks a goal] "The fat lady is warming up, if she's not already singing!"
[Ball hits ground] "CHAOS BALL!"
[TEAM 2 kicks a goal] "THEY'RE BACK IN THIS!"
[TEAM 1 kicks a goal] "But it's all over now, [TEAM 2] won't come back from here."
[TEAM 2 kicks a goal] "LAZARUS RISES!!"

And that's just the first quarter.

GWS aren't that great either. Have bled a lot of good players in recent years, and even though they've still got quite a bit of talent and some good kids coming through, they have a lot of younger players in the 18 as well as some honest toilers who would struggle to get a game elsewhere. Was surprised they were 5-2.
Agree. Think we'll beat them in two weeks but lose the remainder of our games before the bye, unfortunately.

Do you reckon there might be something of a difference between scraping home with the biscuits against a genuinely crap team when you're 2-5 and playing atrocious football, and playing in a grand final? You won't have to worry about the latter happening while we're playing like we do in the former case.
If footy is getting worse isn't it plausible that two genuinely crap teams could make the GF? We could be one of them!

Back