Autopsy vs Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

Was amazed we came so close. Threw away any chance we had when Goldy handballed backwards into traffic to Higgins instead of kicking into the 50. Amazingly Brown looks like a million dollars when we move the ball quickly and kick it into his path. Baffled by Turner on Abblet as well.

Taz looks like he's back to himself, must finally have enough conditioning and healing under his belt. Larkey is really impressive considering his frame, doesn't let it at all hold him back from competing. Atley is in career best form. Polec gets called out for not going at times, but IMO is as hard as anyone when he does commit.

Overall a solid meh/10. Not convinced Geelong played in top gear for more than a few minutes, our gameplan makes me pull my hair out, and a handful of blokes are seriously off the boil or underperforming. However we did take it up to the team on top of the ladder and we put in a solid effort.

Poor ball use and s**t game sense cost us that one. Too many times Geelong profited from our turnovers or poor defensive running and application. If our season could be encapsulated in one player it is Higgins. Gets plenty of ball, can look really flashy at times, but he is ineffective and impotent. We can't continue to * up what should be the basics and expect our defence to hold up.

Of the young guys Durds was alright, did his job. Taylor looked like a first gamer, just too physically immature, Larkey was really good and was involved in a lot of our good stuff and Thomas was very solid. Zurhaar was ok, did his job too.

Coaching staff need to work out who is good enough to play at this level or play others.
Far to many skill errors and the big difference was Geelong knew what each player was gong to do , we were guessing.
This is part of the coaching.

If LDU and Ahern don't play every single game for the rest of the year, then you have to ask what the * is the point of this season? What are we actually getting out of it? Needs to be a development year now so the next coach can see what he has to work with.

I don't rate Turner but whatever your hopes for his development as a 'pressure wherever', can it please be done in the VFL. Him and our disposal were the difference today. We need to play skillful players that could be in our next flag. Waste of a position IMHO. If you tried to trade him no one would take him. Total liability. Could not have spoiled Ablett chest marking. Too overcommitted to tackles with guys that can easily give off creating space. Useless around stoppages.

To my second point, practise kicking. Handball was not great but on the improve. Should have won today. Need to work towards LDU getting the ball where Higgins does now. Unfortunately Higgins is on the decline. One more year after this one at best. Our woeful start means that we can't afford to have the ball not bounce our way. That's the price you pay for serving up rubbish at the start of the year. I think we need to play in a way that does not necessarily win or sandbag now, but have more of an eye on a flag next year. This year is development

[QUOTE="scottywiper, post: 60833508, member: 6728"oGoldy wins centre clearance and turns and handballs back into traffic. Higgins has become selfish footballer.[/QUOTE]

Yeah inexplicable that was. Surely when you've followed up and won the ball you kick that forward. Over coached.

Great effort across all 4 Quarters, convert more of those shots to goals and I daresay we'd have beaten them. But what is, is, and I'm just happy with our pressure and tackling and the bright shining lights we've got in Souva and The Dactyl (sounds like an '80's cop show)

Thought young Curtis was very good on debut! Reminds me of Will Walker, the way he goes at it no fear, keeps a level head, and gets himself into the important spots consistently. Welcome Curts!

Durdin is dangerous. First McKay, then his own finger, now Rohan. If I ever make it down to Arden Street I'm giving him a wide berth.

Really great effort tonight. Now we just need a bit more polish, and less Gary Ablett. Or the same amount of Ablett plus one Ben Jacobs. Or something.
Anyways, Go Roos!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If we'd brought this effort earlier in the year we could have afforded this honourable loss. Larkey very impressive - wish he'd had a shot instead of hand balling to Mason anti-clutch Wood. Lack of polish predictably cost us. Can't be too upset - as usual under Scott, we are a solid 6-12th team who let ourselves down with skill errors.

Over-handball, passing it to manned stationary targets and Mason Wood. Momentum killers.

Although Brown kicked 5, on some occasions he wasn't presenting or running at the ball. Just jogged and allowed Geelong to flood our F50. If he presents, he takes his man with him. It is basic stuff that kills this team.

When we got it down to 10 points, we seriously had them almost beaten. We won successive clearances and geez we all of a sudden look dangerous when we hit the hit spots.

Our rebound 50 chains are both horrible and scintillating, no in between.

Can’t blame Brad for that one. Had our chances and didn’t kick the goals. Brown the exception. All good and fine to kick um against the blues. We blew that game.
Bullshyte. We have a team that can’t handball yet we play a handballing game plan. This is all on the coach. EVERY SINGLE BIT OF IT.

We made up for our poor disposals with our work rate.

But Key moments win or lose your games. That was the key difference today... Wood’s dropped mark when we were on a roll, Brown’s miss, Wood’s miss in the last when we were on another charge.

Meanwhile, they took all theirs. A real shame. Wont make the 8 but we know we will get enough wins to not get a great pick.

Also, I don't buy the "Geelong weren't playing their best footy" tripe dished up by the commentators.

They scored at least five, probably closer to 8 goals that they pulled out of their arses. Most games you'd be lucky to have those kinds of shots go 2.6 rather than 8.0.

We should have beaten the best team in the comp. We're not far off, even with a ****ed game plan and major injuries in our defence.

Could have won that game and should have won it too.

Kicking for goal is deja vu, 1.6 1.7 1.8 not going to win you games.
Centre clearances lost again.
I think the umpire missed quite a few free kicks in our favour, but that’s the reason we lost.

Dumont was sloppy early.
Higgins, what is going on with his kicking, barely above average currently, goal kicking is just plain poor.
Goldy, won the battle against Stanley, needs to know his limitations though, give it to a midfielder to kick.
Brown, poor first half, very good second half.
Larkey, improving, didn't mind his game.
Thomas, nice game.
Garner, Wood, Zurhaar, pretty much ineffective from an attacking point of view.
Atley, Tarrant, Jmac, Cunnington, probably our best players for the game.

JZ, Polec, Pittard, Jed, Simpkin all average games. JZ still doing his silly hack kicks.

Well finals now officially over, so what next for the rest of the year?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back