Where is roughy at?

Hawk_francais

Cancelled
Sep 20, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Why is it that Roughy is not put in defence while Mitch Lewis crashes packs in the Fwd Line?

Roughy
Defence requirements:-
- Reading the play: :thumbsu:
- Good 1 on 1: :thumbsu:
- Doesn’t panic: :thumbsu:
- Able to intercept mark: :thumbsu:
- Able to spoil: :thumbsu:
- A reliable kick: :thumbsu:
- Speed off the mark: ? probably:thumbsdown: though I’d back his Footy IQ to make up for speed issues.

Added to that:-
- can direct players to the right spots: :thumbsu:

The big Rough is a perfect relief CHB while Kosi develops and allowing TOB and Brand to play on 2nd and 3rd talls in their effort to show why they will become premiership backman.

That said, I actually see Roughy as a utility who can play anywhere on the field if given limited game time (kept fresh) and set to play for impact where he can have the most influence. We got, and continue to get, extra quality years out of Burgers because we did not use him in the crash and bash of the middle, choosing instead to put him in the backline with a “break glass, just add Burgers” option.
Rough could be awesome as a “break glass” option if kept fresh.

But who knows if he can actually play down back on an opponent. Not me... I have never seen him as a backman playing on a forward.

I think a game down back could be a career extending revelation for Jarrod, ....... at the very least it would be great to know... if only we could see it.
Roughy is already playing a sacrificial role of Ruck/Half Forward so Mitch Lewis can play forward full time. Lewis came in for Ceglar but it's actually been a three-way rotation.

I think it's great for Brand, and O'Brien to be given more responsibility they've seem to have handled it well at BH. Kosi is more likely to play 2020.

Having said that, I'm not sure I'm a fan of the way Hawks seem to mollycoddle tall players in the VFL for years before giving them senior exposure. Been a long time since we drafted a tall, taught him a position at a Box Hill and then brought him in the seniors to play anything better than just serviceable footy (Sicily excepted, but he played his VFL as a forward).

Lake, Frawley, Hale, McEvoy, Ceglar, Gunston all traded in while Shoenmakers, O'Brien, Brand and many others before them struggled to get games.

Admittedly KPP haven't been a priority for us the last few years, but I seethe with envy at West Coast's depth in that area, and wonder what the key is to their development.

Nov 5, 2014
Wherever I leave my hat
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Roughy is already playing a sacrificial role of Ruck/Half Forward so Mitch Lewis can play forward full time. Lewis came in for Ceglar but it's actually been a three-way rotation.

I think it's great for Brand, and O'Brien to be given more responsibility they've seem to have handled it well at BH. Kosi is more likely to play 2020.

Having said that, I'm not sure I'm a fan of the way Hawks seem to mollycoddle tall players in the VFL for years before giving them senior exposure. Been a long time since we drafted a tall, taught him a position at a Box Hill and then brought him in the seniors to play anything better than just serviceable footy (Sicily excepted, but he played his VFL as a forward).

Lake, Frawley, Hale, McEvoy, Ceglar, Gunston all traded in while Shoenmakers, O'Brien, Brand and many others before them struggled to get games.

Admittedly KPP haven't been a priority for us the last few years, but I seethe with envy at West Coast's depth in that area, and wonder what the key is to their development.
West Coast has so many KP forwards that they are developing them as wingman and mids. They also have them wrapped up in contracts for years to come.

I am envious.

But this is a Roughy thread. I hope I see him in the backline for at least one game before his career is over.

Last edited:

satan1

Club Legend
Mar 24, 2011
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I re-watched the Carlton game as I thought I may have marked him hard given all the glowing praise on here post match.

He was great body on body as a target, smart and in good touch with ball in hand but was a serious liability when the ball was in an opponent's hand. They walk away from him now.

Our only player not to record a tackle despite spending a fair bit of time through the middle. I don't think the back line is an option for him anymore.

Play him as a deep forward and pinch hit at the centre bounce when absolutely required.

Luck and the ability to hide away local talent to some extent.

McGovern, Barrass, Allen are all WA locals. Barrass and McGovern picked up much later than their traits suggest they should have been.

Just seen the highlights of Roughy in the VFL today

Pure class answered back on the scoreboard too media reports but even more helping defender from the dogs, fantastic human being, leader

ALL CLASS !!

May 7, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn

WillowSF

All Australian
Jun 2, 2009
California
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Why is it that Roughy is not put in defence while Mitch Lewis crashes packs in the Fwd Line?

Roughy
Defence requirements:-
- Reading the play: :thumbsu:
- Good 1 on 1: :thumbsu:
- Doesn’t panic: :thumbsu:
- Able to intercept mark: :thumbsu:
- Able to spoil: :thumbsu:
- A reliable kick: :thumbsu:
- Speed off the mark: ? probably:thumbsdown: though I’d back his Footy IQ to make up for speed issues.

Added to that:-
- can direct players to the right spots: :thumbsu:

The big Rough is a perfect relief CHB while Kosi develops and allowing TOB and Brand to play on 2nd and 3rd talls in their effort to show why they will become premiership backman.

That said, I actually see Roughy as a utility who can play anywhere on the field if given limited game time (kept fresh) and set to play for impact where he can have the most influence. We got, and continue to get, extra quality years out of Burgers because we did not use him in the crash and bash of the middle, choosing instead to put him in the backline with a “break glass, just add Burgers” option.
Rough could be awesome as a “break glass” option if kept fresh.

But who knows if he can actually play down back on an opponent. Not me... I have never seen him as a backman playing on a forward.

I think a game down back could be a career extending revelation for Jarrod, ....... at the very least it would be great to know... if only we could see it.

I like this... Give Lewis the space to develop forward.

MasterSamurai

Premiership Player
Mar 21, 2017
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
BayernMunchen
I see Rough is only 19 away from 300. Sucks he probably won't get to 300 for the club. Not that that takes away anything he has achieved. What are your thoughts on him going up to Brisbane/GC to help out next year?
He had the chance last year but baulked and he doesn’t have many petrol tickets imo , to go around again.

I see Rough is only 19 away from 300. Sucks he probably won't get to 300 for the club. Not that that takes away anything he has achieved. What are your thoughts on him going up to Brisbane/GC to help out next year?
He's also just 10 goals from overtaking Buddy on the Hawks goal kicking list. I'd really love to see him finish ahead of Bud as a one-club player.
It's touch and go isn't it?

RedWhite&Blue

Premiership Player
Jul 21, 2005
Vic
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Just saw the footage of Roughy giving Rueben Williams some advice in the 2's game last weekend - What a champion bloke giving a youngster from the opposition some advice like that. A legend of the game showing care and sportsmanship. If only more people had that attitude the world would be a better place...

Here's the link:
https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/video/2019-05-13/vfl-post-match-reuben-william-rd-6

Goodluck for the rest of the season.

Mar 23, 2007
Where Premiership dreams are made...
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Man U, Canucks and 49ers
Expect he will play the majority of his time from now at BHH, come in when Lewis needs a spell or when they feel he is better suited for match-ups, than playing two rucks.

Be interesting if her agreed with the club to retire mid-season so we get another pick in the mid-season draft, but train with Hawthorn and help the younger guys, but playing at BHH...

Jables

Club Legend
Jun 16, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
NY Giants, Hornets, Bulls
I am very rarely critical of Hawthorn but we went out of our way to put in Glass over Roughead for Frawley, and it's just not gonna happen for him. No one was fooled by the talk about form and if they are too scared to develop a tall it's just an insult to Roughead.

Glass is a Morton or O'Rourke type. I guess because they aren't in important roles so it feels 'safe' to play them while we try to win, but we are acting like we are taking the chance to rebuild and we just aren't. We need polish, we need talls, Lewis is the only kid that fulfills either of the criteria.

We've effectively retired Roughead to play a 176cm 19 year old, who I have decent hopes for but there's no point to playing him right now. Odd timing for it, and I hope this doesn't age well!

Zack

Club Legend
Apr 14, 2002
Victoria
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawthorn
Roughy has to come back in next week if the talls are injured.

Circumstances favour his inclusion.

Unfortunately you might be correct, with the exception of Nash who should play before him based on today him being better than him we are bereft of KPP. Schoe is almost permanently injured much like Birchall (that's two players when Russell was at the club he's never been the panacea ppl have made out with players already at the club), Mohr is out for the season, Brand appeared to do a Hammy. Kosi was allegedly out injured too, Lewis was also allegedly concussed... well one thing I will agree with apart from Frawley once we had no one ever sit out games almost every week with either a migraine or concussion (think we are almost at 4 weeks in a row now). So unless we use Timmy up forward if Frawley is back one of Rough/Nash is coming in. Personally I'd play Nash, Rough is not the future. He can have his farewell game later in the season and Timmy was better in the ruck than him in his cameos today.

Anyway let's see how the week plays out, get the feeling Lewis' resting will end up much like Scrimshaw's last week. A rest so he'll be right this week.

Unfortunately you might be correct, with the exception of Nash who should play before him based on today him being better than him we are bereft of KPP. Schoe is almost permanently injured much like Birchall (that's two players when Russell was at the club he's never been the panacea ppl have made out with players already at the club), Mohr is out for the season, Brand appeared to do a Hammy. Kosi was allegedly out injured too, Lewis was also allegedly concussed... well one thing I will agree with apart from Frawley once we had no one ever sit out games almost every week with either a migraine or concussion (think we are almost at 4 weeks in a row now). So unless we use Timmy up forward if Frawley is back one of Rough/Nash is coming in. Personally I'd play Nash, Rough is not the future. He can have his farewell game later in the season and Timmy was better in the ruck than him in his cameos today.

Anyway let's see how the week plays out, get the feeling Lewis' resting will end up much like Scrimshaw's last week. A rest so he'll be right this week.

Was Nash good in the first half? Because from the second half I saw he was atrocious. His speed is completely negated by the fact that it almost always goes sideways when kicks it.

Back