Autopsy Rd 8 Blues deserving but no reward again

Who played well in Round 8?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Interesting to watch Side Steel-Bottom plying his trade yesterday. It was amazing the number of times our boys had him in a tackle, sometimes 2 on 1 and he still managed to get a disposal out. Another few kg's and another pre season will make a difference. Our missing age demographic in the list shows us up sometimes when its young bod's on more mature players.

That's the maturity we are missing. We have no one of note in his age bracket of 24-28.

Our draft class of 2015 are still 2 years away. I reckon pretty much all our draft picks look like they will make it.

We really need to bring in 2 or 3 in 24-28 bracket. We got to use the Adelaide pick (part of Stocker trade) on some mature talent.

It is seriously frustrating to be in prime winning positions against Gold Coast, Hawthorn and Collingwood only to inevitably lose them ALL in the end.

It is like the team has collective stage fright when they get ahead, like they don't know how to deliver the knock-out punch.

We must have the worst winning percentage for close games for any team in the last 20 years.

What will it take to break the cycle?

Brisbane exactly the same first half of last year. I believe they were 1-13 after 14 rounds and had lost 6 games by less than a goal which they were in a winnable position in all of them late.
The cycle will be broken in time and experience. They will learn to make better choices in those positions in close ones late. They will also learn to take more opportunities earlier so that instead of being up by a goal or two late, we are up by 5 or 6 goals and the game is already on ice by then.

Just wanna say how rapt i was to see us respond the way we did yesterday boys really stood up and made the game a great tough contest, players that have not been in the best of form and lucky to be playing finally raising their games to the level that should be the minimum required every week.
Even though it was not high on free flowing end to end footy, i thought it was one of the best games we have played against them in a long time considering the difference between where the sideslevels of development are at.
Finally just want to mention the atmosphere noise and buzz from the crowd down our scoring end in the last quarter when we came back to kick 3 goals in a row by Cripps then Cunners then McGov was brilliant with everyone rising and going off their heads, hard to explain the feeling took me back, goosies...
Done a lot really well again, basic turnovers and tackling continues letting us down...GoBlues👍

Absolute disgrace! I’ve had a night to sleep in this and I’m still as angry as when I left the ground.

No wonder there was punch ons in the ground, it’s the umpiring that caused that. No doubt about it. You never condone violence and I’m not a fighter ever but leaving the ground yesterday the tension was knife edge, me personally I was very edgey. Some people that are primed for a fight I can see how those fights happened.

The AFL has to Explain to us how in a game where we had 400 possessions we only received 3 free kicks in general play from infringements. It’s an absolute joke and it cost us the game yesterday. No doubt about it.

This one stings a lot !
That is a very good point about the tension post match caused by the umpiring. If it had been some silly girl saying something not nice to Adam Goodes which caused some tension, we would have a full blown enquiry, but we can't blame the umpires for their shocking standard of performance which caused pent up emotions in the crowd to spill over.

I still say the club should be asking for a 'please explain' from the AFL

Is there a better dual sided player in the comp atm?
When I was a teenager I remember older players telling me that in the future if you can’t kick both feet there won’t be a spot for you.

Hard to believe it isn’t a more wide spread skill today.
yea, agree, dual sided and like a bull over the ball

Forgive the intrusion blues. Just wanted to highlight the reaction of your captain to a loss to Dyson Heppell . Chalk amd cheese really. Cripps is already a star and will be a future hall of famer. Watching the game I said to a mate he is the best clearance player I have ever seen. Right then Greg Williams appears on the screen and he replies that bloke might have something to say about that. 24 8 isn’t right in a game that tight . You should be proud of the team and especially the captain. Untaggable. Hope you smash those bomber whingers

Yet the best clearance player ever gave away more free kicks than your ENTIRE TEAM? food for thought there my friend.

Last edited:
Just wanna say how rapt i was to see us respond the way we did yesterday boys really stood up and made the game a great tough contest, players that have not been in the best of form and lucky to be playing finally raising their games to the level that should be the minimum required every week.
Even though it was not high on free flowing end to end footy, i thought it was one of the best games we have played against them in a long time considering the difference between where the sideslevels of development are at.
Finally just want to mention the atmosphere noise and buzz from the crowd down our scoring end in the last quarter when we came back to kick 3 goals in a row by Cripps then Cunners then McGov was brilliant with everyone rising and going off their heads, hard to explain the feeling took me back, goosies...
Done a lot really well again, basic turnovers and tackling continues letting us down...GoBlues👍
You're getting me all misty FBB, well be back !

I’m starting to think the agenda against us is head office lead to be honest. We are one of the only clubs that can survive constant turmoil so why not try use everything they can to keep us down. Media being the main one... the umpiring fraternity another. An in turmoil Carlton is Constant click bait. We are strong enough to survive it.
Just a thought! It’s all dollars these days and the narrative drives the money.

I like me a good conspiracy theory

The ball drop at full pace is a bit hit and miss, keep working at it..
Look at most of the stars with break away pace and they butcher it a bit. Danger does, Juddy even did it often enough.
But the value of breaking the lines and catching the defence off guard out weighs a few shanks. It will get less and less I think for Dow like it has for Danger. Judd seemed to do it rarely early on and more later in his career when he became the number one tagged player. But with our multitude of mid guns, which one will they tag? Dow will dominate in a couple of years. Let’s not forget he’s only second year.

Geez, there's a lot of saltiness on here blaming umpires for a loss. Conspiracy theories everywhere.
Can anyone honestly say that the umpires went into yesterday's game agreeing to make things as difficult as possible for Carlton and to turn a blind eye to Collingwood ?
Games against Gold Coast, Hawthorn and now Collingwood has seen the team in a position to win all 3, yet come away with nought.
It can't ALWAYS be the umpires, surely.

Hi Herbie, I challenge you to watch the Collingwood game again, and starting from Grundy's blatant two handed rugby throw in the first few minutes, go through and count just how many obvious, but unpaid decisions were made in Collingwood's favour. Things like holding the ball, incorrect disposal, holding the man, that sort of thing. There may even be a few that should have gone against us that were not paid, but I doubt there will be many.

While you are at it, see if you can keep an eye out for the largish 'beast' Collingwood brought in to their side with the specific intention of holding on to Cripps at every ball up/stoppage (But Bucks claim they don't tag.... bollocks). See if you can rack up the amount of times Cripps gets held without the ball, yet nothing is done about it. THEN consider that as Carlton received only 3 free kicks in general play (+ 3 oob and 2 50 mt = 8 total) how is it possible that Cripps alone gave away more free kicks than an entire Collingwood team?
Once you get to the last qtr and find that, as unbelievable as it is, Carlton still has the lead despite the inbalance of free kicks, you may note that the frequency of poor/incorrect/unpaid decisions only increases. Charlie one out in the goal square has his arms chopped by the Collingwood player (Roughhead?) A blatant free kick at the top of the square that would have put us I think 3 goals up with a few minutes to play. Play on and Collingwood sweep the ball to the other end of the ground to score. Two goal turnaround. Then there were twice Plowman was molested without the ball when Collingwood goaled, and once where Wieters is thrown aside, for the same result. Lets not even mention the non-review of the touched goal.

The free kick discrepancy in the Hawthorn game was not as blatant, but definitely changed after half time. As for GC, if umpire 38 pays the obvious mark to Jones, we win.

Do I think this is a deliberate strategy agreed to formally by the umpires before the game? No I do not. I think it is a form of 'confirmation bias'. Umpires being human have inbuilt pre-conceived ideas about who is the 'better' of the teams they will officiate on any day. sometimes it is closer to line ball - such as a grand final, sometimes it is the bottom club versus a top 2 club. They 'expect that the 'better' team will win and will play 'better football' and therefore get more free kicks. As I have said here many times. We have been crap for 20 years, the pre-conceived notion that we will be crap on any given day only grows incrementally over the years. We have been given a horrid ride by the Umpires this year, and for many years hence. Saturdays was just the biggest manifestation of this syndrome and something the club needs to have a very serious discussion with the AFL about. A big 'PLEASE EXPLAIN?' need to go to Gill and the head of umpiring.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Obviously very disappointed to lose - we gave ourselves every chance to come away from this game with the 4 points.

But despite the result I am rapt with the performance against arguably the best side in the competition, and I am enormously proud of the response from last week. That alone speaks volumes about this group.

As has been said so many times before, this is a young side that unfortunately at this stage just does not know how to win consistently. But that will come with greater experience and maturity.

Look at most of the stars with break away pace and they butcher it a bit. Danger does, Juddy even did it often enough.
But the value of breaking the lines and catching the defence off guard out weighs a few shanks. It will get less and less I think for Dow like it has for Danger. Judd seemed to do it rarely early on and more later in his career when he became the number one tagged player. But with our multitude of mid guns, which one will they tag? Dow will dominate in a couple of years. Let’s not forget he’s only second year.

Juddy and Danger have had their moments of poor use by foot, as you say Judd post O.P was probably more prone to it. Paddy seems very inconsistent with his contact by foot at pace, hope he keeps working at it- but not worry about it too much at the same time ( if that's possible).

Hi Herby, I challenge you to watch the Collingwood game again, and starting from Grundy's blatant two handed rugby throw in the first few minutes, go through and count just how many obvious, but unpaid decisions were made in Collingwood's favour. Things like holding the ball, incorrect disposal, holding the man, that sort of thing. There may even be a few that should have gone against us that were not paid, but I doubt there will be many.

While you are at it, see if you can keep an eye out for the largish 'beast' Collingwood brought in to their side with the specific intention of holding on to Cripps at every ball up/stoppage (But Bucks claim they don't tag.... bollocks). See if you can rack up the amount of times Cripps gets held without the ball, yet nothing is done about it. THEN consider that as Carlton received only 3 free kicks in general play (+ 3 oob and 2 50 mt = 8 total) how is it possible that Cripps alone gave away more free kicks than an entire Collingwood team?
Once you get to the last qtr, and find that as unbelievable as it is, that Carlton still has the lead despite the inbalance of free kicks, you may note that the frequency of poor/incorrect/unpaid decisions only increases. Charlie one out in the goal square has his arms chopped by the Collingwood player (Roughhead?) A blatant free kick at the top of the square that would have put us I think 3 goals up with a few minutes to play. Play on and Collingwood sweep the ball to the other end of the ground to score. Two goal turnaround. Then there were twice Plowman was molested without the ball when Collingwood goaled, and once where Wieters is thrown aside, for the same result. Lets not even mention the non-review of the touched goal.

The free kick discrepancy in the Hawthorn game was not as blatant, but definitely changed after half time. As for GC, if umpire 38 pays the obvious mark to Jones, we win.

Do I think this is a deliberate strategy agreed to formally by the umpires before the game? No I do not. I think it is a form of 'confirmation bias'. Umpires being human have inbuilt pre-conceived ideas about who is the 'better' of the teams they will officiate on any day. sometimes it is closer to line ball - such as a grand final, sometimes it is the bottom club versus a top 2 club. They 'expect that the 'better' team will win and will play 'better football' and therefore get more free kicks. As I have said here many times. We have been crap for 20 years, the pre-conceived notion that we will be crap on any given day only grows incrementally over the years. We have been given a horrid ride by the Umpires this year, and for many years hence. Saturdays was just the biggest manifestation of this syndrome and something the club needs to have a very serious discussion with the AFL about. A big 'PLEASE EXPLAIN?' need to go to Gill and the head of umpiring.
Great post mate. The pies got one dubious decision in the GF last year which happened to result in the winning goal to WC and they were talking about a petition to over turn the result.. They were lucky yesterday. But it will only build our boys resolve and they will learn to have the game decided earlier so we don’t have to put up with those shocker decisions late in the game.

Hi Herbie, I challenge you to watch the Collingwood game again, and starting from Grundy's blatant two handed rugby throw in the first few minutes, go through and count just how many obvious, but unpaid decisions were made in Collingwood's favour. Things like holding the ball, incorrect disposal, holding the man, that sort of thing. There may even be a few that should have gone against us that were not paid, but I doubt there will be many.

Once you get to the last qtr and find that, as unbelievable as it is, Carlton still has the lead despite the inbalance of free kicks, you may note that the frequency of poor/incorrect/unpaid decisions only increases. Charlie one out in the goal square has his arms chopped by the Collingwood player (Roughhead?) A blatant free kick at the top of the square that would have put us I think 3 goals up with a few minutes to play. Play on and Collingwood sweep the ball to the other end of the ground to score. Two goal turnaround. Then there were twice Plowman was molested without the ball when Collingwood goaled, and once where Wieters is thrown aside, for the same result. Lets not even mention the non-review of the touched goal.

Best ump rant I've ever read and I agree with you..
It's bullshit and needs to be addressed..
You forgot to add we haven't won a free kick count all year..

Great post mate. The pies got one dubious decision in the GF last year which happened to result in the winning goal to WC and they were talking about a petition to over turn the result.. They were lucky yesterday. But it will only build our boys resolve and they will learn to have the game decided earlier so we don’t have to put up with those shocker decisions late in the game.

Can you imagine the noise in the Media if Collingwood had suffered a 28-8 free kick count AGAINST them? Eddie would burst a phoopha valve. We need to make a big noise about this

It's ******** and needs to be addressed..

Absolutely it needs to be addressed DD, we will continue to get reamed until we stand up for ourselves. If that takes a formal letter from the Pres, so be it. If it takes someone like Wallsy coming out in the media to call it the worst, most one sided umpiring he has seen, so be it. I needs to be done and it needs to be done LOUD

Absolutely it needs to be addressed DD, we will continue to get reamed until we stand up for ourselves. If that takes a formal letter from the Pres, so be it. If it takes someone like Wallsy coming out in the media to call it the worst, most one sided umpiring he has seen, so be it. I needs to be done and it needs to be done LOUD
I can imagine if the boot was on the other foot !! I couldn't imagine Eddie Mcfatguts staying quiet ..
EDIT

It's ******** and needs to be addressed..
I think we ended up about break even v Tigers round 1 but 10 minutes into the first quarter it was 7-0 their way, not to mention that their first goal was scored after Jones was jumped on by Riewoldt who tried to take a hanger, didn’t get his hands within a metre of the ball, Jones landed on his face and it fell in the lap of Lynch who kicked it. At the point where free kicks were 7-0, they were up by 5 goals which subsequently was the margin at end of game.
We have been really unlucky this year in so many ways. But teams with belief get the luck and our boys will start believing. We will get a run on and start stringing together wins.

Back